Car audio help?

In keeping with today’s woot, I’ve been researching some car audio options. I would like to use my iPod and just plug it directly into my head unit. However, many line in iPod units state you need an AUX connection.

I downloaded a copy of my users manual for my aftermarked cd player (Clarion DB225) and about the only think it seems to indicate as far as connections go is a “2 channel RCA line level output”.

Now, I’m not much of a car audio guy (although I’ve learned a lot this year!) Does this just mean I’ve got 2 RCA connections on the back of my head unit? So all I would need to wire my iPod into the head unit would be to get a RCA to mini headphone jack cable.

If someone who’s a little more knowledgeable could square me away on this one I’d be much appreciative!

yes ,u will need the cable. if you have CD-changer output on your headunit, u can use the ipod2car kit. it integrates your ipod to ur head unit and then u control ur ipod from the knobs/buttons on the head unit without ever touching ur ipod. at the same time, charging it too.

there’s another ipod car integration kit out there that is supposed to be better, but i forgot the name.

yeah, i’ve done quite a bit of shopping around and reading. i don’t think i want to go with the integrated iPod units. too much money. i was hoping to just be able to plug the iPod straight into the head unit just to get sound.

i think, however, that i do not have any inputs on my radio. after thinking about it i think the RCA outputs are for hooking up to an amp or subwoofer. not for inputting an audio source.

i may end up going with the DLO Transpod.

and y’know, now that i think about it i remember having this discussion with the salesman when i bought the unit. and i said, “naw, i don’t need the higher end unit. i’ll never need to plug anything into it. give me the cheap one.”

great little CD player mind you. but it’s lacking in flexibility i’m discovering.

You have no inputs. You will have to use either a cd changer interface (neat cause you get to control the ipod from your stereo) or something like the transpod to broadcast your ipod over fm. They make cheaper units (Griffin and Belkin come to mind) but the transpod looks good too.

Until I get a new head unit with inputs, I use fm for my xm radio. It works fine although when you drive into different areas you may have to adjust the station if you come to a town that has a station on your frequency.

[quote user=“djslack”]You have no inputs. You will have to use either a cd changer interface (neat cause you get to control the ipod from your stereo) or something like the transpod to broadcast your ipod over fm. They make cheaper units (Griffin and Belkin come to mind) but the transpod looks good too.

Until I get a new head unit with inputs, I use fm for my xm radio. It works fine although when you drive into different areas you may have to adjust the station if you come to a town that has a station on your frequency.[/quote]

what is a cd changer interface? again, i’m showing my ignorance of all things car audio but i do enjoy the learning!

i thought a cd changer was a unit that sat in your trunk and plugged into an aux or some other type of input on your head unit. if i don’t have any inputs how would i connect something through a cd changer interface?

my bad I said that without researching your particular stereo. based on the DB255 specs (I think that is the equivalent model in the current year) you don’t have the option to connect a cd changer anyway.

Basically some decks come with a port to connect to that manufacturer’s CD changer. It gives you the option to control the CD changer and hear the audio from the deck’s controls. It’s better than just having line inputs because you have a control interface as well. It was probably a bad choice of words on my part to call it a CD changer interface, as these days it’s more of an expandable interface for whatever although the CD changer was how all that started (back in the day when that was the height of mobile entertainment).

For example Pioneer has what they call IP-Bus technology that allows you to hook up lots of things, from cd changers and xm units to dvd players and touchscreen navigation. They also make an interface to both control an ipod and receive the audio from it. It’s what I plan on getting eventually. Clarion’s version of that technology is called something like CENet and apparently they signify models that support that interface with a Z in the model number. Almost every manufacturer has some sort of interface, either aftermarket or straight from the manufacturer.

If your deck had an interface like that, it would be possible to get an ipod adapter or even just a converter cable that basically uses the audio input for the cd changer and gives you rca jacks for line level inputs (without the control interface). It’s a way to get line inputs even if your deck doesn’t technically have them (like in a lot of factory stereos which could have an optional cd changer).

Alpine makes an adaptor for their head units now. Best Buy is an Alpine dealer now & they have the adaptor. I’ve been tempted to buy one for my iPod, but, my Alpine is a few years old & I’m not sure it will work with it. I think it will though since it will play mp3 CD’s. http://www.alpine-usa.com/driveyouripod/ipod_demo.htm

Aslo, if you want to see reviews on the Belkin componets, go to the apple website. They list there all the accessories available and users have listed what they though of each one. There might be some options there that will work with your existing head unit.
http://www.apple.com/ipod/color/accessories.html

I apologize for invading your forum up front, but feel this is worth while and will only take 15 seconds away from a chat.

Give the Gift of Site

Please donate any used pair of prescription glasses to help both children and adults that cannot afford clear vision, to see for the first time.

Not asking for money, just one pair (or as many as you can find laying around [h] ) to help people that cannot afford to see.

I will post pictures and stories from the Sonora, MX mission I will be on in September off site to show you what your contributions meant to the people in need.

Please send them to;

Luxottica Retail
Attn: Woody1
4000 Luxottica Place
Mason, OH 45040

I appreciate woot for allowing this to post, and the person with the most pairs sent in by Sept 12th, (nudge factor coming, and send them all together please, so they can be counted) will get a package worth over $500 including a new Home Toshiba DVD Recorder and Dell 5.1 speaker set. This comes out of my pocket; this is just one of many, and I do mean many, charities I try to support.

yes ,u will need the cable. if you have CD-changer output on your headunit, u can use the ipod2car kit. it integrates your ipod to ur head unit and then u control ur ipod from the knobs/buttons on the head unit without ever touching ur ipod. at the same time, charging it too.

there’s another ipod car integration kit out there that is supposed to be better, but i forgot the name.

yeah, i’ve done quite a bit of shopping around and reading. i don’t think i want to go with the integrated iPod units. too much money. i was hoping to just be able to plug the iPod straight into the head unit just to get sound.

i think, however, that i do not have any inputs on my radio. after thinking about it i think the RCA outputs are for hooking up to an amp or subwoofer. not for inputting an audio source.

i may end up going with the DLO Transpod.

and y’know, now that i think about it i remember having this discussion with the salesman when i bought the unit. and i said, “naw, i don’t need the higher end unit. i’ll never need to plug anything into it. give me the cheap one.”

great little CD player mind you. but it’s lacking in flexibility i’m discovering.

You have no inputs. You will have to use either a cd changer interface (neat cause you get to control the ipod from your stereo) or something like the transpod to broadcast your ipod over fm. They make cheaper units (Griffin and Belkin come to mind) but the transpod looks good too.

Until I get a new head unit with inputs, I use fm for my xm radio. It works fine although when you drive into different areas you may have to adjust the station if you come to a town that has a station on your frequency.

what is a cd changer interface? again, i’m showing my ignorance of all things car audio but i do enjoy the learning!

i thought a cd changer was a unit that sat in your trunk and plugged into an aux or some other type of input on your head unit. if i don’t have any inputs how would i connect something through a cd changer interface?

my bad I said that without researching your particular stereo. based on the DB255 specs (I think that is the equivalent model in the current year) you don’t have the option to connect a cd changer anyway.

Basically some decks come with a port to connect to that manufacturer’s CD changer. It gives you the option to control the CD changer and hear the audio from the deck’s controls. It’s better than just having line inputs because you have a control interface as well. It was probably a bad choice of words on my part to call it a CD changer interface, as these days it’s more of an expandable interface for whatever although the CD changer was how all that started (back in the day when that was the height of mobile entertainment).

For example Pioneer has what they call IP-Bus technology that allows you to hook up lots of things, from cd changers and xm units to dvd players and touchscreen navigation. They also make an interface to both control an ipod and receive the audio from it. It’s what I plan on getting eventually. Clarion’s version of that technology is called something like CENet and apparently they signify models that support that interface with a Z in the model number. Almost every manufacturer has some sort of interface, either aftermarket or straight from the manufacturer.

If your deck had an interface like that, it would be possible to get an ipod adapter or even just a converter cable that basically uses the audio input for the cd changer and gives you rca jacks for line level inputs (without the control interface). It’s a way to get line inputs even if your deck doesn’t technically have them (like in a lot of factory stereos which could have an optional cd changer).

Alpine makes an adaptor for their head units now. Best Buy is an Alpine dealer now & they have the adaptor. I’ve been tempted to buy one for my iPod, but, my Alpine is a few years old & I’m not sure it will work with it. I think it will though since it will play mp3 CD’s. http://www.alpine-usa.com/driveyouripod/ipod_demo.htm

Aslo, if you want to see reviews on the Belkin componets, go to the apple website. They list there all the accessories available and users have listed what they though of each one. There might be some options there that will work with your existing head unit.
http://www.apple.com/ipod/color/accessories.html

I apologize for invading your forum up front, but feel this is worth while and will only take 15 seconds away from a chat.

Give the Gift of Site

Please donate any used pair of prescription glasses to help both children and adults that cannot afford clear vision, to see for the first time.

Not asking for money, just one pair (or as many as you can find laying around [h] ) to help people that cannot afford to see.

I will post pictures and stories from the Sonora, MX mission I will be on in September off site to show you what your contributions meant to the people in need.

Please send them to;

Luxottica Retail
Attn: Woody1
4000 Luxottica Place
Mason, OH 45040

I appreciate woot for allowing this to post, and the person with the most pairs sent in by Sept 12th, (nudge factor coming, and send them all together please, so they can be counted) will get a package worth over $500 including a new Home Toshiba DVD Recorder and Dell 5.1 speaker set. This comes out of my pocket; this is just one of many, and I do mean many, charities I try to support.