Carlson Design Paw Extra Tall Pet Gate

Carlson Design Paw Extra Tall Pet Gate

Just got one of these last week.
Pretty easy to put together and install.
37” tall if I recall correctly. Only thing I wish was that you could remove the small pet door easily. I put it up to let the cat in the laundry room where it’s feeder and litter box are. I’m gonna leave the small access door open all the time. Unfortunately it doesn’t lay flat so if I can’t figure out a way to remove the small door I’ll just cut the hinge pins that hold it in the frame. You would have thought the manufacturers would have anticipated this.

4 Likes

I had the same need. I drilled a hole that was slightly larger than the pin’s diameter directly above the pin. It works and I can reattach the door but I now see that the pin is spring loaded so I could have removed it by workin the top of the spring downward using pressure with the door to to keep the progress as I moved it down. Will see if my theory works on my next door. The door itself is great.

4 Likes

I bought the same gate when offered previously on Woot. I didn’t actually need the small animal opening, my 17 yr old small dog is sight impaired and it’s too hard for him. Im using it to block the seldom used doorway between my kitchen and formal dining room.
I have a different gate at the main entrance into the family room kitchen area that covers a bigger span and has a much bigger gate opening to walk through by over 4" which is helpful especially when carrying in groceries. That gate also has thicker metal and more substantial hardware. It also cost $81 on 2019 but still works great. I see now it costs $91 but am enclosing the link for reference. Munchkin Easy Close XL Pressure Mounted Baby Gate for Stairs, Hallways and Doors, Walk Through with Door, 29.5" - 51.6" Wide, Metal, Bronze https://a.co/hUSeV3M

2 Likes

Great advice.
I actually was looking at that door right now and was considering drilling the exact same hole!:wink:
I did see that when the little door is open I can see the hinge pin thru the end of the open frame. I had thought to see if I can stick a needle nose pliers in there and work the pin down just in case it was spring loaded!

and yes, the hinge pin is spring loaded. You have to really work to get it to slide down far enough to pop out. The framing was too narrow to stick regular needle nose pliers in to grab it. I ended up wedging one side of the pliers in there and used friction to pull the pin down far enough to pop it out.
One could, if you needed to frequently remove and replace the spring loaded hinge pin… drill a hole above or below the pivot point small enough to push a nail brad thru. That way you could pop the hinge pin out quickly anytime you wanted.

1 Like

This is a nice looking, sturdy gate. Easy to use. Great price.

1 Like