Carve 'n' Probe Turkey Day Bundle

Can anyone find the length of the blades on this device? It seems most of the electric knives I see on the market today are 2" or 3" shorter than my knife from back in the dark ages (circa 1980).

amazon has a lot of 1 star reviews. as a % of the total reviews, About 14 out of 32. Interestingly, the much more expensive Cuisanart CEK-40 has 57 1 star reviews out of 189 total reviews.
So there are a lot of unhappy electric knife owners out there. Also this should note these can be very dangerous, well I guess that’s true of regular knives too. On the other hand you don’t hear about someone getting stabbed by some home invader with an electric knife.
What I really need is a good sharpener, we have some really good quality knives but no good sharpener.

This just reminded me to rewatch the awesome movie ThanksKilling

The write up says, ‘So this Thanksgiving’, but can anyone at the mothership tell us if this will really get here for ‘This Thanksgiving’?

this is a good deal . Woot ought to start a Woot.Turkeyhelp.com forum for the Holidays lol. Just a thought is all lol.

The PERFECT tool for the discriminating alien turkey abductor!

Shouldn’t you probe before you carve?

Amazon has a lot of complaints about the knife: the blades don’t fit, food gets stuck between the blades, it doesn’t cut well, and more. Have you experienced any of that? I bought two and am wondering if I’ll regret it.

Ah, you want the four sided crushed diamond sharpener with holder from Harbour Freight for about 8 dollars. A Ceramic stick to finish up with and you are set for life.:slight_smile:

None of those prevents a dry bird. You can do whatever you want, but as the meat gets hotter, the proteins keep squeezing out that moisture.

This “thermometer” is completely useless.

Low and slow, baby! Seasoned water bath and patience! And basting. Breast down until the home stretch.

To me, the sawing motion of an electric knife, never seems to give a nice cut, they always seem to tear the meat instead of cutting it. My mother in law always uses an electric knife, but alas I gave her one last year (it came free with something I bought) so this is a pass and I’ll stick to my shuns for when we need to carve.

Wonder how the probe will work when I deep fry the turkey? Good thing Woot offers a limited warranty.

I was initially excited by this deal, until I realized the turkey-shaped temperature probe makes normal alarm noises.

Boo.

Novelty turkey-shaped timer should make turkey noises. I’ll pass.

switched to deep fried turkey 3 years ago and will never EVER go back. oven baked turkey is bad joke.

I haven’t had the pleasure of trying deep-fried turkey yet, but my best results with turkey have been from brining in a 5% brine with other seasonings (usually brown sugar, juniper, rosemary, sage, pepper, garlic), rinse and dry inside and out, roast for about 25 minutes in a 425-450 degree oven until the skin starts to get nice and brown, then lower the oven to 350, place a foil tent over the breast, and continue cooking until the center of the thickest part of the breast hits 161 degrees. Let it rest for about 15 minutes after removing from the oven.

oven baked turkey is delicious as long as you brine it

Is there a way to see how many have been bought?

Preach it, Jerseyislame & toiletduc! Preach it!

AltonBrownBrine

I modify the spices a bit, but the above recipe has never failed to give me the best tasting turkey. Never dry, ALWAYS juicy. My brother uses the same recipe (more or less) and smokes his turkey. It’s so good, you’ll fight for the leftovers!

Amazon sells one by a different company that is supposed to gobble.
http://www.amazon.com/Chef-Pals-ET491A-Turkey-Thermometer/dp/B005GYFTTC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_2
This same company makes other timers shaped like other animals, in case you want to cook a farm all at once.