CASIO EXILIM Separable Digital Camera

CASIO EXILIM Separable Digital Camera

Tape it to the peephole at the hotel to creep on your temporary neighbors!

1 Like

$83 on amazon, but who knew Casio was still around?

Note that:
There is no current Mac OS software available for this camera on the Casio website link provided ā€¦ but they do offer some cool accessories for this camera.

The remote monitor feature is cool, but with BT you can do the same thing with your phone.

It uses Bluetooth 2, which is ancient considering v5 is current.

Under dark environment, Image quality is mediocre, but canā€™t beat the price.

1 Like

Mine just arrived. I had no clue something like this even existed. Even though the design is 2014 vintage, this outfit is a terrific bargain for the price considering the features and the range of uses. (unbelievable that this outfit listed for $499 when introduced.) Buy this strictly for fun and experimentation, not for high image quality. A few observations. The kit that Woot is selling is indeed the camera + full range of accessories (two different tripod mounts, neck strap and carabiner strap, two chargers - one for each unit, a strong spring clip mount for the camera, and even a lens hood.) The Q/A - packing slip in the box indicates this unit was packaged 3/2015, so this is ā€œnew old stock.ā€ Iā€™ve dinked with the device around the house a bit. As noted above by a commenter, low light performance is wretched, and even indoor room lighting is very grainy. This is strictly a high illumination/daylight camera. The picture quality so far seems similar to a cheap $50 GoPro knockoff camera that I also own, which is not bad. I imagine that the quality of images and clips in daylight is excellent. The lens is medium wide angle and is labeled 21mm equivalent. The Bluetooth ā€˜tetheringā€™ between the controller and the camera units is pretty much instantaneous and needs no settings - the units find each other quickly when both are powered up. Zooming is awkward - you must zoom within a menu option screen, and is unavailable during video shooting. This camera set is shown in a pseudo-point and shoot arrangement by inserting the camera clip into the monitor to make a single unit with a lens in front and the monitor in back, but the cameraā€™s operational functions are just too awkward to take pictures as you would with a p&s, and there is no flash. None of this is a problem. Iā€™m really looking forward to trying the built in time lapse feature. For $35 this is a total steal, and fun.

3 Likes

And one other thing. The Android app that worked for me is the Exelim-Link app. But only on an old tablet I have with Android 5.0. The app installed on a current Moto G7 running Android 9 couldnā€™t connect successfully, even though I made the wifi link successfully. Iā€™ll probably just grab the images directly from the memory card into my desktop with a micro SD adapter rather than wait for wi-fi to transfer 300MB+ video files.

1 Like