Cat Furniture

We have a giant armarkat model purchased from overstock (yikes don’t fall for their deals promising future gift cards or coupons they’re crap) when they were on sale during black friday. The quality of construction is great, quite sturdy, and it went together almost without a hitch.

Had to carefully thread two posts together with the large two-end bolt because it was tight tolerances but once I figured out how far to screw the connecting bolts in, it cinched up just fine.

We have a 7 month old kitten so he’s not huge yet but I’m sure the tree will do fine. The lowest quality wood on our unit is high density fiber board, which is still quite strong, and that’s just the ramps. the platforms are at least 9-ply pressboard and visible parts have a wood veneer so you aren’t looking at ugly plywood if you peek inside. no chip board crap or anything.

Hardware is clean and easy to thread, and well mounted. I was pleased the hardware was shiny and well cut.

My only gripe is the “faux fur” isn’t nearly as thick as I thought it would be. As far as thickness is concerned, it feels like as a layer or two of cheap fleece blanket, stuck on top of wood. Durable enough, but you can hear claws on wood when the cat goes crazy. Probably doesn’t hurt to wear claws down a bit trying to grip though. I just didn’t expect to hear cat paws drum the boards or claws scraping wood.

That being said on other trees, I’d imagine anything but a very dense and strong carpet would rip to shreds like the cheap $20 cat scratcher we have.

So either this thin faux fur is good, or some seriously durable and dense carpet that has NO loops. Shag, or velvet, I suppose?
I have felt some trees at petco that have lush carpet that would soften the cat’s play, but I wonder how that kind of carpet handles aggressive clawing. Probably does well but will cost more.

Moving on, there’s real signs of premature aging on the thing since black friday, and the cat has learned to jump from platforms rather than cling. He claws and climbs posts instead, so it’s probably going to last a long time.

Looks nice, too.

Anyone else notice this?

Covering Material: Ivory
Covering Color: Beige

Just how many elephants does it take to make one of these?

If kitty can jump into your lap, kitty can jump from level to level to get to the top of the trees.

I purchased this exact tree several years ago. Within a couple of weeks it looked bad. This material does not hold up… I’ll stick with carpet from here on out. It may cost a little more but is well worth it not to have a cat tree that you have to hide when people come over…

Amarkat is only so so at best.

My first tree was from Amarkat. My second was from http://www.wadescattrees.com/ and was by far the better purchase. These trees are sturdy, well constructed, better designed, and Wade will build one to your specifications.

It came, its together, looks nice…Here kitty, kitty!

We’ve got three 12-15 lb older cats (10-13 years old). They love their 78 inch version with the condo. It handles their weight fine, and several at a time on the post are not a problem (except when they start batting at each other, but the tree holds up fine).

But they love the silly ball that hangs down on the elastic most.

All three have been hanging out on it, although one has the attitude “if you see me playing I’m gone.”

Their old cat post is totally frayed and they seem to have transferred their affection to this one. Saves the furniture.

bought 1 83" Armakat cat tree; received 2, go figure. NEITHER one has screw parts OR instructions. waiting, waiting, waiting to get my return label from WOOT!. what a pain - they weigh 55 pounds each!

I totally agree. I don’t buy the ‘faux fur’ cat trees; a total waste of money in my opinion. Cats need to scratch and carpeting is the BEST for this. The faux fur seems like it is more designed to appeal to humans, not cats. People may think that the faux fur is attractive (and cheaper), but it is a poor substitute for the superior CARPETED cat trees & condos. Carpeting also has a bit more padding – if you knock on a portion of a cat tree covered in faux fur, you can feel the hard wood underneath.

I will just wait until woot! has carpet covered cat trees.

Yeah, Amazon sells Amarkat trees and I have seen them in local pet stores. I just think the fake fur is a waste of money. Appreciate your link! Looks likes really great trees! Too bad he isn’t near me. :frowning:

Oh look! They’re on sale now!