Cathedral Ridge Oregon Red - Three Pack

Hi Steve,
It would seem that the question is answered more often than it is asked. :wink:

thanks to all of you who politely and patiently explained the rather simple, once you know it, ways of winewooter scheduling. still might go to the BCellars now that i know how to look for the /monday url. i drink a toast you all with my Red Zep.

thanks,

steve

Visit Acoustic Levitation: A Journal of Music, Arts & Culture

I would love some pH info on these wines. :slight_smile:

Sounds like it a woot deal!

Someone give me the low down on that reserve.

Never had oregon wine before. Anyone?

Although not taking any notes, I remember that being very good juice- the first Woot white I really enjoyed since this hobby started.

Red Zeppelin is awesome, def. really good woot wine.

2007 is a good year for wine with the ones I have enjoyed, 2005 was also good.

edit: Winery site also has good 3-pack deal
http://www.cathedralridgewinery.com/store/product-info.php?_warm-red-wine-special-pid178.html

Michael Sebastiani is the winemaker at Hghway 12/Generations of Sonoma. One of my first and favorite woot offerings was the Highway 12 blend. And rumor was they were behind the Woot Cellars Monkey Prize. So he already has some strong winemaking cred at this site.

And if this Cab is in the same style as he makes Highway 12, I have to buy.

Yeppers - Mr. Sebastiani was indeed behind Monkey Prize - and that’s exactly why I’m in for one.

Today’s product description says “…once you open your wine, we recommend you set it aside, and come back here for an hour.” That was wise advise for the Prize - it was a bit on the harsh side when I first opened it, but after an hour, it was pretty danged good. After two hours, it was beyond sublime.

…and that’s how I learned about the importance and wonders of letting a wine “breathe”. See, woot - I’m learning!

Some people swear by opening up to let the wine breathe. But I just read that Kevin Zraly - doesnt believe in it. So who knows!?!

I got the Venturi aerator based on advice here - and really like it.

How would it hold up in a situation like this though? What is the Venturi/decanting equivalent?

In other words - does the Venturi aerate maybe one hours worth, so that a wine that needs to breathe more would require Venturi and further decanting?

Anyone have any experience with this?

I have read here that a Vinturi is about an hour of decanting. And some run a wine through the Vinturi more than once. So I have used the one hour as a rule of thumb

If I have learned anything here it is the value of decanting. Wines that I didn’t think I cared for have become favorites after an hour or so in the decanter. We haven’t bought a Vinturi yet (I read here that some wines respond well to the Vinturi and some not so well) I’m talking about reds here - we don’t decant white. Some friends brought there Venturi over the other night because they knew we didn’t have one and it did make a difference with the Cab we enjoyed. I would love to hear more pros and cons on this. By the way, in for one Oregon wines are a favorite of mine.

Adobe road didn’t sit so well. I bet it would be worthwhile to decant awhile

Vinturi is amazing. My dad is a big wine drinker and he was very skeptical but now he won’t drink wine without running it through the Vinturi first.

Would love to know when the Pinot was picked – in Oregon we had a cool September in '08 followed by a warmer October – I understand that patience was rewarded, those that picked early did not fare so well.

A bit of light googgling has revealed to me that though the bottles says “Columbia Valley”, there is a bit of the Columbia Valley AVA in Oregon. Any comments as to how this region compares to the Columbia Valley of WA for the Cabs, and to Willamette Valley for the PN? Where are the vineyards for the respective wines?

I seem to remember '08 being a not-so-good year in OR, especially for PN.

They seem to have a pretty good view of it here:

http://www.wineberserkers.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11062&hilit=2008+oregon+pinot+noir

According to the Wine Spectator vintage chart for Oregon Pinot’s the 2006 vintage is a 92 (the previous years being 93 and 94) and the 2007 is 84-87 (and an 84 from Parker). That’s just for the Pinot though, I can’t find anything about the Cab because Pinot is the main grape in that region.

I just received a Vinturi last week and tested it out on a woot wine I happened to receive the same day, the 2007 Lost Canyon Stage Gulch Syrah. Now, I’m far from being a wine expert, but a side-by-side taste test showed that it definitely made a difference on both the nose and flavor. The aerated wine was much more balanced in terms of acidity and just seemed smoother overall.

Let me put it this way: as I said, I’m a novice at this, but I feel certain that the Vinturi gave me a fast, easy lesson on what it means to have a wine “open up.” I’d say it’s definitely worth an investment, especially if you’re as impatient as I am.