Cave Dog Cabernet Sauvignon - Three Pack

In for 1… Interesting label is really what got me… Never heard of the wine, may be a stinkbomb but I liked the black/blue so I’ll give this a shot!!

My bank book is bleeding Bordeaux red. I just cannot afford this issue. Hope all who get in enjoy… and if you should be thinking to bring a bottle to a mid-west tasting, well a little advertisement could never hurt.

In for 1. :slight_smile:

I got to use a b-day coupon thanks to the last thread that brought up emailing woot about it.

I had the '01 Cave Dog Cab reserve, it was fantastic. I wish I stored a few! I look forward to trying this release. It is unfortunate that this winery has closed.

Greetings from the Great White North.
This looks good, and I bought all the Havens but the last offering of Merlot, but…
with about 350 bottles in the cellar, and all that 2010 is going to offer, I’m on a SIWBM for the duration…let’s see how that goes.
Regards and Enjoy.

Nobody seems to know much about this wine. I guess at best it would be an nice cab drink now everyday wine and for $10 that’s not bad.

But I will probably pass and go for a second or third set of the Carneros Syrah instead.

Wow, slow day on the message board! I took a flyer, if it’s better than $10 wine then I figure I did good :wink:

One more woot to the black square. Is this the one? I am on the fence.
Happy new year to all.

I gotta admit… I’m disappointed. I was hoping for a home run offering… you know… like last year

double post. sorry.

OT - I finally talked myself into buying the Havens Merlot from Wed, but can’t seem to find my way to the ‘buy’ page.

I know how to find Monday’s offerings, but no luck on Wed. Does that mean I simply lost out - or is there another trick to finding them?

Another question, if I may…

I’m a complete wine newbie, but have been seduced by your wonderful community here. I’ve purchased some of the recent wine offerings, and have read about letting some of the wines age for longer than others, in the threads.

How do I know when to open my wine.woots for a successful drinking experience? I think someone once mentioned opening dates, but can’t seem to find that info on my own.

Should I really hold off on opening any of them when I receive them? Thats a lot of delayed gratification for someone just starting out! :wink:

Somehow, due to rebooting sometime around midnight last night, I missed the part of the description that precisely points out how much juice from 2003 and 2004 went into this NV, therefore making everything I have posted in 2010 completely redundant… great start to the new year!

As for the Wednesday offering, sorry Charlie.

As to your other question, it is completely palate based. Some people enjoy what is colloquially called bottle bouquet. The fruit takes a back seat to the aged aromas and flavors. On the other hand, some wine is simply too young to open when it is released. Check cellartracker, do some googling, and/or ask the winery or wine shop. If a wine is too tight when you first open it, decant.

Sorry for the long post, but… One more thing. There is also some debate about “bottle shock” from the trip on the UPS truck. Best bet is to hold onto the wines for at least a couple/few weeks before opening.

Happy New Year !!

+1

Same to ya WD, and ALL WineWooters here.
Who you taking in the BCS Championship game(Texas- of course?)?
Go Alabama, and congrads to OSU.

As kyle said, there is debate about “bottle/travel shock” affecting a wine. I have a pretty full cellar, so I typically don’t get “new” wine into my drinking rotation for months.

CellarTracker is a great (free) tool for researching wine, even if you don’t catalog your cellar. The caveat is that almost all of the information comes from “users” who may or may not know what they’re talking about.

Wines with a “drinking window” posted are certainly not absolute and that window assumes pristine storage (warmer that 55F = faster, less predictable ‘aging’).

The WineChurch of Wine.Woot purposefully decrees wooting more than one offering for the purpose of being able to have a bottle from a mixed set to be able to ascertain whether it’s a “drink now” or “lay down” wine for your palate. Newbies (and even experienced winos) may not have a terrific handle on predicting what a wine will do, but if you have 4-6 bottles of the same wine from the same vintage, you can open one every 6-12 mos and, if you keep good notes, evaluate the differences and start seeing for yourself what happens to wine over time.

In for 1. What the heck. Seems like it could be a heck of a deal for a 6-7 year old Cab. I’ll hope it doesn’t end up cooking wine.

I’m with you - have ordered at least one of each of the others. I wish there was someone out there who has this. When all this starts arriving the UPS man and my husband are going to have a fit.

Sounds very interesting to me. Does anyone know when this will probably ship? I’m trying to determine if I will be in town to accept delivery? Thanks for the comments all.