Cavedoni Botte Piccola Italian Balsamic

Here’s my question. I just bought a bottle of $120, 25-year-aged BV. How is this going to compare to that?

Let’s say the $120 bottle is a 10 and $4 Trader joe’s stuff is a 1. Where does this lie on that scale?

It seems to me it’s going to be under 5, and I’d rather pay more for a much better bottle. Thoughts?

My girlfriend got a bottle of this a few months ago here. This stuff is fantastic. If I’m good, she lets me take a nip from the bottle :wink:

Hard to find elsewhere, but here’s a couple for about $55.

http://www.designdolcevita.com/

http://www.tuscanyflavors.com

Moderna?

Real Balsamic must be aged for a minimum of 12 years.

I gave one to my mom for her birthday from the last December’s offering. Wish I had thought to ask her how much she has left and specifically how much she liked it (other than that I know she liked it), or I’d think of getting another.
I still haven’t even opened the one I kept for myself. I suppose I should do so. Heh.

Yea… I know what you’re thinking.

“This is a lot of money for vinegar…”

To call this vinegar is much akin to calling a Ferrari, “a car…”

They are both made in the same town.

This “vinegar” is quite special indeed, and after having it, I know that I’ve just got to eventually experience “the car…”

I bought this last time. Got messed up a bit in shipping. I complained, and someone involved with the item told me to contact customer service.

By the time I got back to woot, and saw that message, I tried some.

WHOA!!! This was amazing. Anyway, I didn’t even bother whining. And here I am, having bought another 2 within seconds of it being listed.

And, yea, better BUY NOW. It WILL sell out, even despite the “quantity of 2 limit” that to me, seems to be a trick to make it seem more elite. That’s the only negative thing I can say. The “vinegar” itself, is phenomenal.

BTW - I’m sure someone will post more, but this stuff really isn’t anything at all like what you’ve probably seen, if you’re bitching about the price, etc. And it is a bargain…

I’d have bought 3, for the record. Might even open another account to snag another 2 now… ; )

ENJOY!!! : )

After reading the rave reviews on the site, I purchased three of these last year as gifts (though I ended up keeping one for myself). This is good balsamic vinegar. My favorite use was in a citrus, cherry recipe (see below). The balsamic plus cherries and citrus were absolutely delish on top of ice cream. That said, I still have a pretty full bottle of this stuff in the pantry. It turns out, I don’t eat dessert at home. Other than dessert, I haven’t found a whole lot to do with small quantities of really expensive vinegar. I’ve put it on portobello mushrooms and tried to make a salad dressing with it - but after trying it once, I couldn’t justify using my expensive vinegar to cook with - there just wasn’t enough of a flavor enhancement. I gave one bottle to my grandma and split the other bottles up and gave them to my friends. All involved like gourmet food items and yet none of them ever mentioned the vinegar again. If they enjoy/used it, I didn’t hear about it. I also took my bottle to an ice cream sundae party with a bunch of foodies. Again, it went unused, it couldn’t compete with hot fudge and fresh whipped cream.

That said, the package is very nice for gifting (click on the photo to see). It really is good vinegar, just make sure you find someone who will appreciate it.

Cherry recipe (scroll to the bottom of the article)

If anyone uses this for something other than an ice cream topper, please pass on your suggestions.

I bought this the last time, If you ever had just made and still warm fresh Mozzarella from Brooklyn NY and added this Balsamic then you know what heaven is like.

That’s actually what it says on Wikipedia. So, uh, what exactly is this? I’m still wondering if anybody has had the John Spenger’s Bistro Blends Heirloom Balsamic and how it compares to this. The Bistro Blends is supposed to contain some 18 year balsamic blended in. I saw a show on PBS about balsamic, and there was a balsamic maker that was blending 100+ year old balsamic in with their best stuff, which cost like $150 for a few ounces.

I’m totally tempted to jump on this, but something tells me it will not be any better than the JS stuff that I can find online or at a local farmer’s market (don’t get me wrong, the JS stuff is fantastic–but why pay more?)

Now that’s a suggestion! I tried the standard basil and mozzarella, but found the vinegar too sweet. This could be perfect.

This stuff is so good it crashed my computer, took down my network, tripped the power, and made me yell obscenities… Well, that’s the reason I’m so late to the praise game here. This stuff is spectacular! It really is vinegar perfection. Just a few drops on some basil, tomato, and fresh mozzarella will create sensations of ecstasy usually reserved for much more vigorous activities. Yes, it’s crazy expensive for “vinegar”. But this is so far and above every other vinegar I’ve ever tasted, and the required dosage is so low, that it really is worth every penny.

The only problem is that there’s no cap for the pour nozzle so I’m torn between wasting precious drops every time I switch out the corks and pouring straight from the bottle which can lead to overdose. Anyone at woot listening? can we get a cap for the pour nozzle so we can leave that cork in the bottle all the time?

You can read my posting from the previous offering. But essentially you most likely purchased a tradizionale and should be very good indeed. The posting will explain the difference. so where on your scale does this fit? Hmmm. There were some folks last time who purchased Botte Piccola and who wrote to us separately to purchased superb tradizionale; I’ll let them answer.

Yeah, and it’ll grow hair on your upper lip! :wink:

Dayum! I had a couple of bottles of BV circa 1982. I had no idea they sold for that kind of insanity. I would gladly have sold them and bought a case of this vinegar. 25yo BV is about an 8. To paraphrase the biggest rock band of all time: THIS GOES TO ELEVEN!!!

Speaking of which, any chance you will reprise that special offering? I know I’ll jump…

I need to check our inventory. You can imagine we don’t keep hundreds of these puppies on the shelf. I’ll let you know tomorrow.

Will this satisfy my need for alcoholic intoxication when mixed in small quantities with wine?

What’s the acidity of this? 6%? The two BVs that I’ve had that were good enough for ice cream were 5%, but on the PBS show, I thought I remember seeing that true BV should be 6%. I’m wondering if the two I’ve tried lower the acidity to bring out the sweetness and to mimic the higher grades of BV.

HA! This is way too funny. I totally misread your post - you were comparing wine and vinegar and I thought you were comparing two kinds of balsamic vinegar - one of which sells in the $120 range. Too funny. Anyway - how can scale-up pigs and chickens? They taste completely differently.