Celestron SkyScout Personal Planetarium

Here is what is offered today:

btw, am I the only one who hears “anus” instead of “venus” when the computer talks?

and for comparison, here is a review of google sky map app people are mentioning:

I have no idea if the phone apps are as good as this but for your description it sounds like you would need a device with GPS, gyroscope, view finder of some kind, speaker and cpu/memory. Smart phones have all of those so it would be totally possible to create and app that was equivalent to this.
That being said, my brother-in-law is an astronomy buff and boy scout master. I think I’ll suggest my sister gets him this for Christmas. It will probably be useful when they are camping and the kids can find out what is up there.

If someone is interested, cloudy night has a forum for this device.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/SkyScout

Yes, it can, and more! With Star Walk, for $3:

http://www.google.co.uz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=star%20walk%20ipad&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fitunes.apple.com%2Fen%2Fapp%2Fstar-walk-for-ipad-interactive%2Fid363486802%3Fmt%3D8&ei=wFW8UPrHBc6pqQGm1IGYCQ&usg=AFQjCNE_mWqL2qxKI1SbXbbnGLHLp1qGEQ

Exactly… initially I thought this was a planetarium projector which would’ve been cool. Also, Google Sky map is free

I have trouble believe you have to squint, unless if you have pretty bad eyesight or using a phone with a screen smaller than 4"
That said you could always install a 7" tablet instead.

I do agree that smartphones are becoming more and more like swiss army knives.
Ex: A DSLR will take better pictures than your phone for sure.
But in this particular case, I don’t see it beating Google Sky Map which lets you do what it does aka point at sky object and get info on it. It will also let you search for anything and help you point your phone in the right direction AND let you go back/forward in time to look at what the sky looked like yesterday or a month ago or when you were born.
With Gyro equipped phones it’s also probably more accurate.

Btw, you can have 1 of those phones for 1 benjamin too.

The video ad says 6000 stars. Woot! Writes “over 50,000 stars.”. Which is correct?

ooh - that looks interesting. I have NightSky which is pretty cool too

After leading an effort to build an astrononomy viewing park in the City of O’Fallon, MO, several years ago when I worked there as a City Planner. I became an amateur astronomer. THIS IS A GREAT PRODUCT, BUT YES, YOUR SMART PHONE HAS DOZENS OF APPS THAN CAN DO THE SAME THING.

Instead of making this purchase, I HIGHLY suggest the below set of Astronomical Binoculars from Celestron instead for $50 (they were $80 just a week ago). After you read a few of the over 400 reviews, you will see that these are an absolute steal at $50.

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-SkyMaster-Binoculars-Tripod-Adapter/dp/B00008Y0VN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354528095&sr=8-1&keywords=celestron+skymaster

Must have Win32 machine to update.

Warranty is amended to say must be be purchased from Celestron dealers.

Despite having iOS and android apps on several devices with similar features, I am all in for this tool. Can’t wait for it’s delivery!

I bit. Point & click. Seems like a great stocking stuffer for the 8 yr old.

[QUOTE=scottman54, post:21, topic:372873]
Here is what is offered today:

btw, am I the only one who hears “anus” instead of “venus” when the computer talks?

Time now for Uranus jokes.

and for comparison, here is a review of google sky map app people are mentioning:

[/quote]

Speaking of iPads, how come mine can’t seem to play any videos Woot! posts these days? Little blank area comes up like it wants to show it, but nothing happens.

Their product page says over 50,000 stars, planets and constellations from built-in celestial database.

hey i am being turned down on my order!! i want one never a problem before. please reply

An error? It’s most likely your bank refusing the authorization charge. If you are using PayPal, it must be backed by a credit card or bank account.

Hope that helps.

They’re playing on mine just fine. Any video in particular? I played the one linked on the Features tab of this sale. It shows a generic YouTube graphic for a moment but then it loads and plays just fine.

I use Stellarium Mobile for my Galaxy tab and it does a great job. Not sure if it does as much as this gadget, but it works good for me. Just letting you know there are some decent Android apps that can do this as well.

Stellarium Mobile for Android

There is an app for that…

I have had one of these for at least five years. They are great, and they work! Point at an object and it will id it! However, unless you have good 20/20 vision it can be almost impossible to read at night. Folks that wear bifocals or have near vision issues cannot see the display at night.