Centon 128GB DataStick Sport

Technology sure has come a long way… I remember when 128MB was impossible to fill up. Thanks Woot… Now I feel really old.

128GB at that price would be less than $2 per gig right? seems cool…

Wow 128GB, that really is impressive. And to think in a year or two we’ll be talking (chuckling) about how we once paid $65 for just 128GB on a huge stick like that.

Long, long ago, in a city far, far away, I once paid like $35 for 128MB!

arent these the really unreliable ones that lock themselves up?

Um, you ain’t done ur math’s right son!
It’s around $0.50 a GB!

cough
50¢
cough

Can someone tell me what they would use this for? 128GB at USB 2.0 speeds on your keychain?

Doesn’t seem to get great reviews…http://www.amazon.com/Centon-Electronics-DataStick-Waterproof-RCDSW128GB-001/product-reviews/B008ABOIBS

ehem…yeah, was quick to draw on that one… sorry, but it’s still less than $2 right :smiley:

Not so fast! (heh, get it? Read on, you’ll get it)

Don’t buy this if you need your data transferred in a hurry, According to my math this will take 7 hours and 6 minutes to fill.

Clearly this item is misfiled. Such a sporty stick should be on sport.woot

Right you are! Good comeback.

Dude, maybe he’s on the metric system or somethin’…

Judging by the use of “math’s”, I’m guessing that alysseumwarrior is the one on the metric system.

thanks Ricky Gervais for the podcasts

I was thinking that too. Metric monies / metric geggybyteamigs = metric $2 (or treefiddy I’m not sure right now because its so late)

The reviews on Amazon state that transfer speeds are pretty slow, and my experience with Centon would confirm this. I’ve got a DataStick Pro (8GB), and it transfers at about a third of the speed of most of my other drives (assorted Kingston, Corsair, SanDisk, and Patriot drives).

There’s nothing too special about these except for the capacity. Otherwise, it’s very generic USB memory. Even the need for a cap is very no-frills. Better models have a retractale plug.

Unless you trasport huge databases or videos, I generally don’t recommend such large memories because it’s too risky. Not only would you risk misplacing it but there is electronic failure as well. I learned the hard way by having two 32gb USB sticks fail on me. Data can no longer be stored reliably on them despite constant reformatting and dignostics. Lost a lot of data.

It’s also hellaciously slow to transfer so much data, especially over USB 2.0.

For those who don’t need such a small form factor, consider getting a 2.5" SSD. I recently bought a 120gb OCZ Vertex Plus R2 for only $44 after rebate. Yep, that’s 120gb at greater-than-hard-drive speeds for $44. I then put it in a $3.95 external HDD enclosure (from Woot) and voila, FAST 120gb portable memory for <$50. It’s small enough to easily fit in my shirt pocket and powered by a the same USB port that transfers data. No external power supply or additional USB port needed.

The bottleneck is the pathetic USB 2.0 connector so I’m looking for a cheap usb 3.0 or eSATA 2.5" HDD enclosure.

The above SSD is SATA 2, which has a speed limit of 3gb/sec. I also bought three 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 SSDs for $54 (after $20 rebate) but they have not yet arrived. The Vertex 3 has a SATA 3 speed of 6gb/sec. SATA 2 vs SATA 3 is not very relevant when you use an external USB 2.0 enclosure but can make a diferrence in a desktop that uses SATA 3.

Regardless, SSDs are so cheap these days that it may be a bettter (faster, cheaper, more reliable) alternative to these large USB memory sticks. It’s more reliable because SSD are treated like normal hard drives. That means it uses S.M.A.R.T. diagnostics, and can mark off bad sectors, etc. And OCZ releases lots of firmware upgrades. Compare that with dumb memory like these USB memory sticks.

Here’s a comparison of size. For reference, use the Kingston 32gb DataTraveler USB memory and the size of the USB plug. The 2.5" HDD enclosure may look big but it fits very easily in a shirt pocket.

If this was USB 3.0 I’d be all over it…