Centon USB 3.0 Flash Drives

The Typo Police are on their way…

Say what?

Expensive BUT that :frowning:

Write speed on 32GB model is stated as 20Mbps (that means mega bits per second), which would translate to about 2.5 mega BYTES per second. That’s gotta be a typo - USB 3 would be totally wasted on a stick that slow.

EDIT: I see they’ve updated it to 20MB (mega bytes) per second. That puts this item into a much more favorable position on the must-have list. And at 80MB read speed, the device at least justifies USB 3 for reading.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. I’ll send it in.

I thought Mbps meant Megabits per second…not bits per second. Otherwise, your math is correct. Probably typo.
Edit: Features tab says, “USB 3.0 and 20MB per second write speed”

Amazon info: http://www.amazon.com/Centon-Electronics-USB-Drives-S1-U3P6-128GB/dp/B00FSTWS8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403068400&sr=8-1&keywords=centon+flash+S1-U3P6-128G

I have a smaller capacity version of the red one. It’s been perfectly satisfactory. The sliding cover doesn’t stay closed in my pocket very well, but on the other hand it can’t be lost like a fully detachable version. I tore up the plastic around the hole that I thought was for a key ring, but in retrospect is probably for a lanyard. It’s not terribly useful attached to either, though, unless you have some sort of quick release. I’d definitely buy another if I needed one, though.

Will the 32 GB stick work on an Xbox 360?

Nope. Xbox 360 only supports USB 2 drives up to 16GB. It does not have any USB3 ports .

The Xbox One will support USB 3 drives with the newest device update

I will never, ever buy or even use as a gift another CENTON DATA STICK. If you gave it to me for FREE, or, PAID me to take it I would never use it to store any data I’d want to keep safe. I bought a Centon DataStick Sport with 64Gb’s and filled it with important documents/data that I DELETED after putting it on a Centon USB data stick. About 3 months later my computer reads it and tells me that it has to be reformatted before I can use it. It reminded me of when you lose the boot sector on your start up hard drive. When it’s gone, it’s ALL gone. Huh? Yeah, GONE FOREVER…all data. Sure, they may be giving them away cheap but don’t expect to ever be able to get it any data back and there’s no warning. One day you plug it in and your computer says it has a fatal error on your brand new Centon. Read the reviews on Amazon about this. I trusted Centon and paid them and in return I paid much more than that. It’s happened to hundreds of other people, too. Replacement? What? And trust Centon again? Data Sticks are made to STORE data then they’re suppose to allow us to get it back. EPIC FAIL, CENTON. I’m letting everyone know and I’m not stopping here with my Wooten brothers and sisters. If I knew how to fly a cropduster I’d write it in the sky. You have a false sense of security and then it fails miserably. Like I said, you couldn’t GIVE one to me or PAY me to take it. Then again, maybe I’d see how many times I can skip it across the water.

lesson is you never allow your computer to reformat your flash drive. You say “no, why you askin’ me that ‘ish? just try readin’ it again.”

THESE ARE OVERPRICED.
(and can be had for less, when on sale at the competition)
Like that place that sells chicken ovum, to NOT name just one…
I’ll wait for a REAL sale.

Yes, I meant mega bits per second. If they now state 20MB then that’s a different story. I’ll be getting some. Still, USB 3 is truly wasted on write speeds that slow - but the read speed of 80MB (almost :wink: ) justifies USB 3.

Sorry, but I’d have to chalk that up to user error on your part, or just an unfortunately defective unit. I bought 3 of the 64GB DataStick Sports ~2 years ago. Other than the rubber casing working it’s way loose over time in my pocket and the less-than-amazing transfer speeds, I’ve had no problems with any of them (and, working in IT, I use them a LOT). One of them was even run over, shattering the case, and I simply wrapped up the bare board in electrical tape. It’s still being used pretty regularly today. It’s definitely not the best flash drive in the world (who’d have guessed at such a low price?), but it’s plenty capable of doing the job.

Not to say that you didn’t have a bad drive, but I’d chalk it up to a defective unit or user error.

Also, for future reference, I’d HIGHLY suggest keeping any data you care about in at least 2 or 3 different locations. No matter how reliable a storage device is, any number of things (fire, power surge, water damage, theft, etc.)can leave you with data loss and/or an electronic paper-weight.

User error? What in the world could that person have been doing to it to claim user error? They are pretty simple devices. Plug stick in hole, move files, unplug stick from hole. Man it doesn’t get much more user friendly than that.

It’s common for these to go bad from any manufacturer even with perfect care. Just one of those things that folks deal with. No backup solution is ironclad so you definitely need redundancy.

By ‘user error’ meaning ‘user didn’t keep uber-important documents in more than one place like any sane person would.’

Remember folks: one is none, and two is one. always have multiple backups of things you care most about to different media. Even stone tablets and papyrus will fail given time.

(this message brought to you by the tired IT person who has dealt with far too many people complaining that he can’t recover their life’s work off a hard drive that was run over by a Mac truck and utterly destroyed.)

Oh, and also: I’ve not tried one of these, so I can’t speak on their reliability or quality. I tend to use flash drives as transient storage anyway.

If you unplug a flash drive while the OS is still making changes to it (I’d call that a user error), it can damage the data or partition on the drive. This pretty often causes the exact issue that was described by the user.

Do yourself a favor and use the ‘safe eject’ feature built into the OS. ESPECIALLY if you’re still running on Windows XP or earlier.