Centon ValuePack USB Datastick Pro2

Centon ValuePack USB Datastick Pro2

These are garbage. I bought a pair back in January (3.0 256GB for $40) and they’re both already in the trash. I used the first one for a few months, transferring back and forth between my work and home computers, before it started to get read errors and Windows wouldn’t recognize it when I plugged it in. I thought, “No big deal–at least I have a spare.” About a week after using the second one, same problem. In case anyone suspects the problem is PC-related, I have a 128GB stick I bought from MicroCenter yeeeears ago that’s still going strong.

1 Like

Centon has to have the worst reputation in electronics. I can remember back in the day buying cheap Centon blank cassette tapes. Their quality is that of the Dollar Store

3 Likes

It’s a dead heat between them and Pyle :rofl:

So we shouldn’t spend a Centon these?

9 Likes

I normally DESPISE puns, but this was pretty good.

3 Likes

The only thing I use Centon sticks is for one time transport of huge database source data or for collections of raw photos or video. I don’t worry about failures as they are only copies. Faster than burning a dozen DVDs, cheaper to ship/mail and lower tech (as well as avoiding file size restrictions or exposing contents to internet “file miners”). Receiving individuals always know how to access sorted files on a stick and they think I’m “a nice guy” because they can possibly re-use the stick.

Wow… I’m glad I read here before clicking that big yellow [Buy It Now] button!

Do you think they would work for one time writing? My kid has a bunch of VHS movies he watches and I just want to convert them for road trips.

It’s already been said. Centrons failure rate is highly successful. Especially when using multiple times for large files

If 32GB is adequate for my files, then I don’t need larger and I don’t need more than one, do I?

But seriously: the big issue with USB drives is counterfeiting even with reputable names. There’s a lot of bogus high capacity drives where they just rewrite the header to imply more space, and a teardown reveals that the hardware can’t possibly support the claim. So, you have to know the supply chain. Given that these have NO factory warranty, they aren’t white-market, and who the hell knows their provenance.

I see 5-10 Facebook ads a month for USB and SSD drives for way less than the legit components alone would cost.

Some of these cheap flash drives have “fake” capacities. The will use a 128gb memory chip in a 256gb flash drive, but the “bios” in the drive tells the computer it’s a 256. The end result is that you eventually overwrite the original data.

1 Like