Chance of Scattered Showers

HAHAHA I was thinking it was a toy robot.

I wish my dad had spent quality meteor shower time with me.

This should have been #1… love it!

Oh so sorry. Too dark to see anything. Have not light amplification goggles yet.

Geeze - is there really as LITTLE non-black (or whatever the cloth color is) to see much?

Of course, I could just be being typically blind. However, in “real life” I’ve seen some quite truly spectacular showers and they are amazingly bright.

Is that Bender?

Thanks everybody who voted for this one!

I’m really surprised it survived. It lost a lot of momentum after the weekend and I was actually expecting Binkdrop’s red dwarf design to make 3rd. It was a great entry and I’m sorry to disappoint those who stayed up waiting for it. Send all anger my way and leave those poor robots alone.

Goodnight all, and thanks again to all the voters and buyers!

No, but someone did a bender design this week.

Excellent! I just got one for my friend for her birthday! Congrats on the print and keep it up! I love your designs!

gotta buy one just based on the great description. sadly i am old enough to get the reference.

LOL I thought the same thing :slight_smile:

Meteors come in all shapes and sizes. The ones that fall to Earth are generally very small because they burn up when entering our atmosphere. Most don’t even make it to the ground. Maybe those are just small meteors (definitely plausible). Maybe the umbrella also creates an artificial atmosphere around their levitating space island.

At the very least, they must have some sort of gravity generator. Or maybe both the island and the robots are magnetic, and the poor things are doomed to spend the rest of their artificial lives stuck to space debris…

But I digress. Meteors can certainly be small - most are.

I should add that I should have used the term “meteoroid” instead. by definition, it’s not a meteor unless it has entered Earth’s atmosphere.

And I just looked it up - meteoroids are “sand- to boulder-sized particles of debris”. So yeah… they can certainly be small.

And now everyone has had more than their daily requirement of useless knowledge. Sorry.

I didn’t read the write up until I read this. and I must say, while I am NOT old enough to get the reference, I get it anyway, and it was worth the work to decipher it. Brilliant work, writers.

Also, this

Yeah, me too. It took a few seconds for me to realize it was song lyrics. I actually came to the discussion boards to compliment the writers for it.

So, good job, woot writers!

Yes but, how did they get to that spot to watch the showers in the first place? Poppins?

I might have bit if it had Glow In The Dark ink.

But what makes them bright is the friction of a planet’s (Earth’s) atmosphere causing enough heat for the thing to glow. (See eHalcyon’s post.) Since the only planet in the picture is causing their path to curve–a really nice design touch, BTW–there’s nothing to make them glow. However, glow-in-the-dark would have been a nice touch.

Wasn’t this a scene in WALL-E?

Never be sorry for providing us with useless knowledge (trivia), as that is what makes the world a better place to live on.

The shirt is great and was my favorite of the derby.

I love being under an umbrella in a shower, that must be a special meteor umbrella, I think there is a guy in NYC that sells those.

Definitely worth to be my first woot :).

To all those who said any variation of " Gee Whiz, I wanted the other one. " :frowning: :

I feel your pain.

But not today. There have been too many Sundays for me to remember where I felt shafted, cheated, and very disappointed that my favorite of the derby missed printing.

But I, for one, am very happy to see CMD’s shirt print today. It’s the one in the fog I liked best. I like the flow of the design. I think the coloring is brilliant. And I think he used the printing space that woot offers very creatively.

So, good on ya, voters!

congrats CMD! :slight_smile:

edit:
oh, yeah…and I’m in for one!