Charity thread: Helping people in need

Ok, I hope people will, between purchases of woot, stop by once in a while and look this forum over. I will try to give to every charity (no cruzer, your college beer monies fund is not a charity, LOL!) and do what I can to help.

If you have a charity you feel passionate about, please post a link to it and why people should care, donate, support, etc.

I think this community of wooters can make a difference to all people in need. (No cruzer, beer monies still don’t count) Holmesdog, this is for you[z]

SO POST AWAY [h]

Give the Gift of Site

Please donate any used pair of prescription glasses to help both children and adults that cannot afford clear vision, to see for the first time.

Not asking for money, just one pair (or as many as you can find laying around [h] ) to help people that cannot afford to see.

I will post pictures and stories from the Sonora, MX mission I will be on in September off site to show you what your contributions meant to the people in need.

Please send them to;

Luxottica Retail
Attn: Woody1
4000 Luxottica Place
Mason, OH 45040

I appreciate woot for allowing this to post, and the person with the most pairs sent in by Sept 12th, (nudge factor coming, and send them all together please, so they can be counted) will get a package worth over $500 including a new Home Toshiba DVD Recorder and Dell 5.1 speaker set. This comes out of my pocket; this is just one of many, and I do mean many, charities I try to support.

Lol, NOW ya’ start a charity thread…

Hey, it’s a start…

Gotta go find the heifer thing. Are we more passionate about things that hit close to home? Need to analyze that in relation to heifers!

[quote user=“Woody1”]
Hey, it’s a start…[/quote]
Ya’ gotta BIG

umm how about the charity for beer money for cru…[:D][h]

…seriously though… The Victory Junction gang camp is where I would start.
[url]http://www.victoryjunction.org/vj/index/home[/url]

Heifer Project International

Our History

A Four-Footed Attack Against Hunger

A Midwestern farmer named Dan West was ladling out rations of milk to hungry children during the Spanish Civil War when it hit him.

“These children don’t need a cup, they need a cow.”

West, who was serving as a Church of the Brethren relief worker, was forced to decide who would receive the limited rations and who wouldn’t – literally, who would live and who would die. This kind of aid, he knew, would never be enough.

So West returned home to form Heifers for Relief, dedicated to ending hunger permanently by providing families with livestock and training so that they “could be spared the indignity of depending on others to feed their children.”

In 1944, the first shipment of 17 heifers left York, Pennsylvania, for Puerto Rico, going to families whose malnourished children had never even tasted milk.

Why heifers? These are young cows that haven’t yet given birth – making them perfect not only for supplying a continued source of milk, but also for supplying a continued source of support. That’s because each family receiving a heifer agrees to “pass on the gift” and donate the female offspring to another family, so that the gift of food is never-ending.

This simple idea of giving families a source of food rather than short-term relief caught on and has continued for almost 60 years. As a result, millions of families in 115 countries are experiencing better health, more income and the joy of helping others.

(The website is www.heifer.org., would one of you smarter than me people please put a link here?)

[quote user=“cruzer”]umm how about the charity for beer money for cru…[:D][h]

…seriously though… The Victory Junction gang camp is where I would start.
[url]http://www.victoryjunction.org/vj/index/home[/url]

[/quote]
No on the beer money but I will keep my word, just donated $20 to this one. I like this one and forgot it was out there. Now don’t think I can keep this up indefinitly, I already have 60+ charities I deal with. Also, this one will be doubled by my company
[b]
Victory Junction Gang Camp
4500 Adam’s Way
Randleman, NC 27317
336-498-9055

August 23, 2005

Dear Woody:

Now that 2005 is well underway, the staff and campers alike are looking forward to a phenomenal summer! Everyone is proud of the hard work and successes of this past year. Your recent donation of $20.00, paid with your MasterCard, will ensure scores of new campers will experience the magic that takes place at Victory Junction.

With ten summer sessions in 2005, we’ll aim to serve more than 1000 campers. This will be double the number of children (and twice the fun) as our first summer. If you are interested in volunteering, we would love your help. Our summer calendar is now posted on our website for your use.

We are thankful for friends like you who clearly understand the mission of the Victory Junction Gang Camp. Victory Junction is a magical, memorable and medically-advanced facility that is changing the lives of children with chronic and life-threatening illnesses and their families. The feedback we receive from campers’ families lets us know these children are more independent and livelier after their time here. And they can’t wait to come back!

Because of you, we are celebrating victory at every turn. We are grateful for your continued support.

Please know that in order to ensure that our costs remain low, this email will serve as your acknowledgement and tax receipt. No goods or services were received in exchange for this gift. If you require further assistance, please contact our office.

Once again, thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely,
Victory Junction Gang Camp[/b]

[quote user=“holmesdog”]Heifer Project International

Our History

A Four-Footed Attack Against Hunger

A Midwestern farmer named Dan West was ladling out rations of milk to hungry children during the Spanish Civil War when it hit him.

“These children don’t need a cup, they need a cow.”

West, who was serving as a Church of the Brethren relief worker, was forced to decide who would receive the limited rations and who wouldn’t – literally, who would live and who would die. This kind of aid, he knew, would never be enough.

So West returned home to form Heifers for Relief, dedicated to ending hunger permanently by providing families with livestock and training so that they “could be spared the indignity of depending on others to feed their children.”

In 1944, the first shipment of 17 heifers left York, Pennsylvania, for Puerto Rico, going to families whose malnourished children had never even tasted milk.

Why heifers? These are young cows that haven’t yet given birth – making them perfect not only for supplying a continued source of milk, but also for supplying a continued source of support. That’s because each family receiving a heifer agrees to “pass on the gift” and donate the female offspring to another family, so that the gift of food is never-ending.

This simple idea of giving families a source of food rather than short-term relief caught on and has continued for almost 60 years. As a result, millions of families in 115 countries are experiencing better health, more income and the joy of helping others.

(The website is www.heifer.org., would one of you smarter than me people please put a link here?)[/quote]

Please visit Heifer Project International

[quote user=“Woody1”]

Please visit Heifer Project International [/quote]

Thanks, I’ll learn that next.

[link]http://spamcon.org/donations/[/link]

[link]http://spamcon.org/legalfund/[/link]

[quote user=“obob”]
some people…[/quote]

You know you bch when people try to care, then you bch about when people change to make your silly ego feel better, then you make fun of those trying to make a difference.

Do you actually think you are funny?

[quote user=“Woody1”]Ok, I hope people will, between purchases of woot, stop by once in a while and look this forum over. I will try to give to every charity (no cruzer, your college beer monies fund is not a charity, LOL!) and do what I can to help.

If you have a charity you feel passionate about, please post a link to it and why people should care, donate, support, etc.

I think this community of wooters can make a difference to all people in need. (No cruzer, beer monies still don’t count) Holmesdog, this is for you[z]

SO POST AWAY [h][/quote]

Folks, I know Woody will do this as he already has for United Cerebral Palsy when I had mentioned it once.

Thanks Wood man!!

[quote user=“Woody1”]

You know you bch when people try to care, then you bch about when people change to make your silly ego feel better, then you make fun of those trying to make a difference.

Do you actually think you are funny?[/quote]

One of those people who everyone eventually hates. If you met him in person,
you would think, “My God, what a loser”. You would kill your own mother
if she got in the way of you exiting his presence.
Sad, pathetic existance.

So true. Some people love being miserable. They look for pity parties and the like. They feel special when they are whining. What a miserable existance.

I don’t know if I would go that far. Actually, I know I wouldn’t go that far.

P.S. Your spelling errors are catching. You and pete spelled existence with an “a” [;)]

It’s actually quite the common error.

[quote user=“peteromans11”]

So true. Some people love being miserable. They look for pity parties and the like. They feel special when they are whining. What a miserable existance.[/quote]

Welcome Cavalry, it was tense for a while.

[quote user=“Binaural”]

I don’t know if I would go that far. Actually, I know I wouldn’t go that far.

P.S. Your spelling errors are catching. You and pete spelled existence with an “a” [;)]

It’s actually quite the common error.[/quote]
Yeah, well maybe you are right. Just a little fed up with the crap.

Existence. There, ya happy? :wink:

If I were to try to correct all errors on this board, I would never leave. I was just trying to lighten the mood a bit. [:D]

[quote user=“Binaural”]

If I were to try to correct all errors on this board, I would never leave. I was just trying to lighten the mood a bit. [:D][/quote]
You did.

(my post was a two part post, by the way, with cheesy smily)