Chaucer's Dessert Wine - Four Pack

Bee wine for all!

Usually around $15/bottle. Not a bad deal at all.

For Wine.Wooters with a sweet tooth, apparently!

A bit deceptive, perhaps, as mead is not wine at all, but rather the beautifully simple result of fermenting massive quantities of honey dissolved in water. In fact, its simplicity makes it a rather appealing target for homebrewers, though I’ve never tried a batch myself.

I haven’t tried this one in particular, but sweet mead such as this is not only useful as a drink on its own - a typical trick is to add a shot of sweet mead to a heavy pint of porter or stout. The Ren Faire in my college town used to have a booth that would sell such delectable monstrosities (specifically, a pint of Guinness with a shot of sweet mead dropped in).

Also, and again I’m not familiar with this particular mead, but contrary to the description, some meads can be cellared for years or even decades with absolutely fantastic results. Dry meads are usually favored for cellaring, but sweet meads can be cellared too (and usually turn into complex dry meads after a long enough period).

I really should be in a SIWBM right now after double Roessler’s, but I really want to try these concoctions out. Good thing I’m awake at this ungodly hour to snap some up!

while I’m not even remotely inclined to buy this, I wanted to thank you for the very informative post - part of what I love about the wine.woot! offerings is the educational aspect offered by all of the voices chiming in on the forums :slight_smile:

And it’s very refreshing after slaying dragons.

Thanks! :slight_smile: Really the only reason I have any expertise is through the homebrewing community - like beer, mead is much more foolproof than wine to make on one’s own, so many homebrewers make a batch of their own mead every now and then just for kicks. The end result is an unpredictable as homemade beer, though, so the precision of commercial production is (at least in my opinion) well worth considering as well.

As for dessert wine proper - specifically the half of this offering which is actually wine - I’ve no expertise at all (outside of an infrequent glass of port at the hands of another), so this should be a nice introduction to a unique and idiosyncratic subgenre.

Also, I suppose the history geek in me must note that, while mead might be identified with the Vikings, the era of Chaucer himself was actually well after the Vikings had declined as a dominant culture. So the description is sort of generally ironic. Historically.

I think that’s my cue to go to bed.

Oh, and in the absence of the usual suspects, here’s the relevant website for those interested. They have some pretty interesting recipes for those who like to get creative with their purchases.

I have tried both of these and I think they are fantastic. The mead is sweet but not overly so and the olliaberry is like nothing else. Sweet, yet tart, every time I go visit a family friend in San Diego I bring her a bottle.

I’ve tried the Mead and didn’t enjoy it at all. It had faint odor of turpentine when chilled and a definite taste of turpentine when sipped warm.

Maybe I just had a bad bottle. But it was bad enough to convince me not to try Chaucer’s Mead again.

Gotta agree with you - I had the plain and the raspberry from a long-ago Woot, and they were marginal. The plain came with a mulling spice pack, which made it slightly more tolerable.

I’ve had the plain mead a few times, it’s rather sweet for my tastes but I love it, I like it cold but also like to serve it warm with mulling spices as well.