Chef'sChoice Electric Knife Sharpener

Chef'sChoice Electric Knife Sharpener

Looks similar to the one recommended by America’s Test Kitchen. Same angle and number of stages. For those not inclined to use stones…

2 Likes

This is a great sharpener. I bought one of these off of woot a few months ago.
I use high end hand made japanese chef’s knives by Kurosaki and Masakage. I own an edge pro system and it makes sharpening a one-hour plus operation…and you tend to put it off until you have several knives to do.
With the chef’s choice you plug it in you sharpen your knife and you put it away.
Edge snobs spend more time sharpening than they do cooking. They love the time cosuming process of being able to slice paper on youtube videos. A knife is a tool, you use it, you sharpen it and eventually throw it away…if you’re handing down chef’s knives to your grandkids you’re not using them.
The chef’s choice is a tool, not a hobby. you get a super sharp knife, and you’ll enjoy the way it cuts. If you want to be a part of the “sharpening-lifestyle community” this is not for you.
In addition, a ceramic honing rod is a MUST and should see at least weekly use(if not daily).

4 Likes

Wow. I’ve been waiting for these to go below $140. I saw $124 not too long ago. In for one, for sure.

1 Like

I bought one of these and it really works. Much faster than the stones and diamond boards, and I can even cut paper with the knives!

1 Like

This actually is ATK’s current best knife sharpener, and is the reason I’m springing for it!

1 Like

I own one and use it. There are a few tips and bits of info that you should know when making a decision to purchase this sharpener. Here are a few:

1. This sharpener will establish a 15 degree cutting edge, which is common for many modern European and Japanese knives. Older knives and many cheaper makes may still use the 20-22 degree edge. Both have their advantages and disadvantages (usually based on the type of steel being used).
  2. Once you establish the 15 degree cutting edge, you will only seldom use the first (left) sharpening slots unless the knife becomes damaged or severely worn. The middle and right-hand slots will help keep the fine edge after that.
  3. You should still become adept at using a honing rod - and use it often.
  4. There is still a bit of skill required to use this sharpener successfully (mostly knowing what to look for), although not nearly as much as manually sharpening your blades. The one most helpful tip is: Take your time!
  5. While this sharpener will work on a wide variety of knives (paring knives to chef’s blades), it won’t be very good for very short blades (pen knives or Swiss Army blades) and will drive you nuts on very long and heavy blades (like a full-length pizza cutter). If you are looking to sharpen your machete, go over to Amazon and search in the hardware section under “bench grinders”.

I waited for several years and had a discount coupon that finally brought the price of this sharpener down below $100 when I finally bought mine. At this price, it is worth buying now.