Chicago Cutlery 15-Piece or 19-Piece Set

I’m really torn about this. I have a set of Chicago Cutlery that I’ve had for 30 years. They still work great, but they’re old and have wooden handles, which I’d kind of like to get rid of, plus a couple of the knives have ‘gone missing’ over the years. At the time, they were rated a ‘best buy’ by Consumer Reports. I have no idea about the quality of the newer knives. Looking at the Chicago Cutlery website, it doesn’t look like they make the Centurion collection anymore (search for Centurion, and the only thing that comes up is kitchen shears). I don’t need the steak knives… Oh, so conflicted.

Big difference - the 11 year old set was not made in China.

are these authentic Chicago Cutlery or was the name really bought by a chinese company ?

I was going to buy three sets of the Mets (for Christmas gifts) but changed my mind based on these comments. They get vodka.

Hey guys- Here’s what we heard from the vendor:

"Yes the Metropolitan has a sharpening steel. The contents are below:

Chicago Cutlery Metropolitan 15-Piece Block Set includes 1 each: 3" Parer, 3-1/2" Parer; 6 each: 4-1/2" Steak Knives, 5" Partoku, 5-1/2" Utility, 7" Santoku; 8" Sharpening Steel, 9" Scalloped Bread Knife; Kitchen Shears, Wood Block."

We’ve also requested the correct photo. Sorry for the confusion.

Give them knives, or vodka, but don’t give them both.

Consumer Reports for the Metro

These knives are Chinese junk. I bought my American made set on an auction site about 3 years ago.

The missing sharpening steel showed up in the form of an extra steak knife in the 19pc set photos, and an extra 5.5" utility knife in the 15pc set. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I was going to pick up a few sets (one for me, on for a gift) and decided against it.

Bummer… My parents are still rocking their set from the 80s

[/quote]

THANK YOU for exposing this. I was about to order them and just happened to read your post. I thought it was illegal for a company to forge knockoff products and sell them under the forged brand name. I’ve already trusted woot before, but if they are selling a forged version of Chicago Cutlery and advertising them as Chicago Cutlery - I don’t know who to trust.

A forged knife does not mean fake brand name.

Read…