Chrome rim cleaning restore help please

Where to start. Recently I wanted to restore my wheels they were starting to bother me…well actually its been bothering me every since I saw it there. I finally decided to try some tools out with different polishes. I tried Chemical guys Power Ball no go grooves to small, same with Mothers 360 which was working half ass until i gave it more umpph and it broke. I now have some drill kit that contains different size drill pads except one that will actually get in 90° bends. Also, I’m not familiar with what chrome is dipped on but I believe in some spots that it actually is starting to wear down to that where I was using this new kit. Anyone have any suggestions rather than me having them stripped and redipped. Which its actually cheaper just buying new ones. I currently have Mothers rim polish restorer, Chemical guys heavy and light polish restorer and Semichrome polish. The kit is sold on Amazon and was in top 30 I believe for polish tools.

@davejlives, @PurpleRain08, @daveinwarshington, @Williamdavi, @mydearWootson
Any ideas guys?

At this point I will try anything since before going with power tools. I tried using White Diamond since local auto store representative said it was the best to use by hand and spent hours like over 30-45 minutes a wheel. So what is shown on some of the pics was after that but also prior to power tools. The better pics with swirling marks was obvious after power tools.

Do I need a dremmel and use that type of disc? I wonder if there is a local auto shop that can fix them. If so what would they use? I’ve already spent lots of time and over $75 in polishes with improvements not yet to my liking though.

Bar Keepers’ Friend popped into my mind.

1 Like

Thats an inside joke for us outside folks I suppose.

@daveinwarshington Any ideas?

They’re pretty pitted. I’m not if sure that’ll buff out.

2 Likes

Burn the car for insurance money.

3 Likes

Great stuff

1 Like

Safe for chrome? This all started after I took it to the dealership for some recall or they called it special bulletin. Anyway they gave it a free car wash adding tire shine. Well long story short I went to pick it up vehicle which tire shine was already settled on the rims. I didn’t think anything of it and drove off. Now its been a headache since.

I use Bar Keepers on lots of stuff.
It’s a non-abrasive powder.
I also have 0000 steel wool for some things that are tougher to clean.
I assume you have already tried a fine-grade rubbing compound.

1 Like

Have you tried “new car”?

2 Likes

Or “different car”? I know a guy. We can call and see if the baby daddy ant farm special is still available.

2 Likes

No, what I’ve tried was only what was previously mentioned above. I’m open to any suggestions. Someone I work with sais a pressure washer might work.

Speaking of which, what kind of car is Woot getting for its birthday?

tried to get a geo metro but the budget can’t stretch that far

3 Likes

But without a TTHH this month…

1 Like

The baby daddy ant farm special is $1533, but he’s got a two for $3500 deal.

2 Likes

Okay penguin your getting off topic!