Chrome rim cleaning restore help please

Okay got some 000 and 00 steel wool to try with some of the polishes I already have purchased. If this doesn’t work I will try a product from BKF. Here’s more pictures during the day.

You will see in the last picture that I used to much force or held the drill there to long.

1 Like

Do any of you know users on here that are auto detailers, custom shop or have dabbled with this work previously? What stuff do the pros use I know its probably a secret so pm me and I won’t share unless I’m actually asked about it later.

This has been what worked the best although it took some time.

1 Like

Insurance wouldn’t cover the cost of additional add ons. Years ago they did and I got every bit of 6k back. Apparently they got smart and stopped offering such perk. All good things must come to a end.

1 Like

00 is maybe too rough.
I’d stick with 000 or 0000.
I see you posted some polishing compound you got?
Some of those may be kinda rough for chrome.
Good Luck!

Out of this what if any of it should I use with wool 000?

I didn’t get 0000 since it was given to me and only had 000 and up. I’ve never used wool is it like 4000 wet/dry sand paper. Maybe I will try it on the wives cookware first so I can know what to expect. Does it lose the way it works such as sandpaper or will it constantly work the same. Sorry for bothering you so much it just that every since I saw this 1-2 yrs back its been bothering me. I want to get them looking new again and than get my vehicle painted. The wife will still get her floor so she won’t be pissed im spending our money on just my other ■■■■■.

3 Likes

I always try to wash my vehicle every 2 weeks and wife hates that yet i no longer have someone else care for her.

1 Like

I’m just guessing here… What I’d try for your chrome.

I’d try the chrome polish with a moistened rag first. (or moist rag-attachment for drill on SLOW speed)
Then the light metal polish with a rag.
Then a 000 or 0000 steel wool with water.
Then steel wool with chrome polish.
Be careful, don’t over-buff in any one spot.
Check it’s working & not damaging anything!
Start in a less conspicuous location of the chrome.

When I first bought the White Diamond when I first noticed this I attempted to polish them by hand. I did it but it took a while. Than I started seeing it reappear of course after taking it to places. So like a month ago I reattempted to clean by had 2 hrs in i gave up. They were better but not to my liking. So recently I’ve tried all kinds of stuff and tools on the worst rim. Its now better but again not 100. Maybe 85% I’ld say.

So, your suggesting I try it wet microfiber cloth again or actually a wet rag? I always used 100% cotton old t shirt or microfiber polishing cloth. With which polish at first any of them? What rag drill attachment whats it look like so I can purchase to have it here by this weekend?

I rarely buy rags for stuff like this.
Old t-shirts, sheets…
There’s buffing attachments for drills, not sure what they are called…
Just a smaller fluffy buffing attachment to fit a variable speed drill.

1 Like

oh the thing that is circular that lets you put polishing pads or such attached i believe by velcro?

2 Likes

How about this if you weren’t so damn far i would have you do this for me and pay you with crap or cash your choice.

2 Likes

@pepper114 @daveinwarshington
Alright I’m finished for the weekend. I might do more next weekend. Don’t ask me what works best since I used a bit of everything. Although my dad brought over a grinding wheel polisher that seemed to get most of the pitting the best. At least what it could reach.

That’s a picture of each rim.

1 Like

Looks good!

1 Like

I know each is about 90% to my liking. Next weekend I will try using that Mothers wheel polish for long lasting shine. Than every other wash so once a month I will use Chemical guys light polish to try to get them 100%. I might buy more Mothers if it seems better. Undecided which of those gives the best shine. I just will try to keep on top of it to restore them 100%. I should’ve been doing that right along. But what I was doing was working great until I let someone else care for her. Now I can think about a nice pearl paint job. I think I wanna go with a Metalic Blue/ Gray ending with Black. Depending on how the sun hits it.

1 Like

I never like tire shine since I know it eats into rims but when you take it through automatic washes they usually put that stuff on the wash package.

1 Like

Yeah, once they’ve been let go a little it’s really hard to get them back 100% but you’re doing great.

1 Like

Well our street was flooded during a storm and I was driving through that for over a month. Which alot of places weren’t up and running for some time including car washes and we didn’t have running water do to the line may have been compromised. So that probably didn’t help them either. The water killed the grass it had all kinds of pollution in it. Since pools and people’s garages flooded. Our house was luckily high enough up to not get flooded.

2 Likes

That water sat in the groves of the rims and the rims were hot. People say you should never let alot of water hit them hot or wash them after they get hot.

2 Likes

Yeah, never drive in floodwater if you want your car to stay nice. The flood water here is all salt water so it rusts your undercarriage and ruins your car.

1 Like