Chromebooks

Tegra K1 vs Intel Celeron 2955U - opinions anyone?

The K1 is ARM based while the Celeron uses the Intel instruction set. Both run ChromeOS fine, but if you’re a hobbyist who might want to try installing Ubuntu Linux or Crouton, the Celeron is easier to experiment with alternate operating systems (using readily available binary distributions). In terms of performance, the Celeron has faster benchmarks than the K1. The only drawback is that the Celeron produces more heat: the K1 Chromebooks are fanless and silent while the Celeron have a very quiet fan.

I’m typing this on a Celeron Chromebook 14, and the responsiveness is fast – it’s very capable. With 4GB of RAM, you can switch among dozens of open tabs in the browser. Mine is usually plugged into the power adapter, but I think the K1 may have slightly longer battery life than the Celeron model. Note that the memory is non-expandable (4GB works well). There is a full size SD slot on both models if you want to install additional flash storage.

Thanks. Appreciate the information.

Question:

I jumped on the newer model without the 4G a few days ago. Is it worth going back and getting the model with the 4G/Celeron processor?

I fully intend on installing Ubuntu (which I know nothing about, but learning can be fun!), and I’ve read that it can be more difficult with the K1.

Edit: Is the difference in RAM going to be an issue? I usually run a lot of tabs/music (which is Spotify and has an app), so I’m not sure if the difference would really be noticeable.

I’m super excited for a Chromebook ( as my Lenovo periodically bluescreens me) but I want to make sure I’m covering all my bases.

What does “Free Lifetime 200MB 4G” really mean? Really free? No other string attached?

Completely worth it.

I have peace of mind knowing that I can go anywhere and not have WiFi and be able to connect.

I get $10 off my data plan (5gb) since I already have t-mobile which puts me at about $30 a month. Even if I use all the data, it slows down to 3G speeds which is still fast enough to surf the internet.

I’d recommend you just keep the wifi one home and if you find yourself going out, even just running to the store, or whatever, it helps to be able to hop on the Internet, get connected, and look up some information.

I installed Linux on mine and I love it. I work as a web developer, so I needed Linux for the FTP server stuff. You can also download GIMP which is a great photoshop program. Everything else can be done right on the chromebook.

4gb of ram is plenty… you could probably have 100 tabs open and not experience any issues.

32gb is plenty of hard drive space though if you want to add to it, you could buy a 64gb on Amazon for like $10 or $20 and plop that right in giving you a total of 96gb. Not only that but you also have Google Drive which offers you 15gb of storage space.

Your computer might come with a 2 year registration for 100 GB of data.

I have no doubt you will have any regrets for purchasing the HSPA+. I never owned just the wifi, but I would never want to own that… I like being able to connect anywhere and everywhere.

There are still some places in the United States that t-mobile may not reach, but for the most part, they got you covered in most areas.

You get a SIMM card that you activate with T-Mobile, put it in the Chromebook slot on the side, and its the very basic – you don’t purchase anything and you get 200 MB of data per month. It’s completely free, but 200 MB will run out fast.

You could browse the Internet for about a half hour before you run out.

Once it runs out, you cannot connect to the Internet anymore. It just cuts you off. Unless you have a data plan or purchase more data.

If you plan on surfing a YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest, you will obviously use more data. You could probably watch about 5 videos or so and then you’d run out.

T-Mobile wants you to purchase more, obviously. So it does run out fast. 200 MB is not enough data to really do much except read some email and browse a few websites and that’s all you get per month. Each month, depending on when you activated it, it will renew itself.

By no strings attached – T-Mobile doesn’t have contracts. You can buy data anytime you want - like an allowance of data (per hour, per day, per week, or a certain amount of data) - or have it renew every month – depending on however much data you want to purchase.

You could buy anywhere from 1 GB a month to 20+ GB a month. Obviously the higher you go, the more it will cost.

You are not locked into any plan ever. Not happy with the service? Want to leave? Just call T-Mobile and tell them you want out and they will cancel your plans. No penalties.

I love my plan and find it useful. I am on the road traveling at least once or twice a month for a few days at a time, and I am also a writer, so hopping on my Chromebook and typing something up comes in handy.

Don’t fall for this just because of the 4g ppl. This is quickly becoming an outdated chromebook. Personally, I’d go with a Toshiba Chromebook 2, which can be found around this price on amazon warehouse. Features a better resolution screen and processor.

I snagged the 2 line unlimited data plan from tmobile for $100/month. Included in this is 5gb/month per line of tethering. So…any device I have works like this one would.

Myself and all my family members are using HP 14 chromebooks. The speed and instant on is amazing. Since most web apps are chrome enabled it works for most experiences. Get a google cloud enabled printer or share your windows desktop printer in chrome on your windows box for printing.

The only issue with it is Chrome is stopping NPAPI applications and soon will be blocking java in September. You can enable a workaround now by enabling NPAPI via the URL chrome://flags/#enable-npapi (type that in the address bar) but again this is only temporary. So java based games for the kiddos are not going to be an option very much longer.

such as Java, Silverlight and Unity. However, NPAPI support can be enabled through the chrome://flags menu, until the release of version 45 in September 2015, which will have NPAPI support removed entirely

Every month they give you 200 mb of data. If you don’t it, it expires and you get another 200 mb for the next month so it doesn’t accumulate.
If you need addition data you can buy it al la carte.

Just for the record: not everyone who buys a Chromebook immediately does something to change it.

So those of you wondering if you can just plug it in and use it, yes you can.

For anyone who gets the Intel Chromebook 14 - get the mPearl plastic case from Amazon. The rubber finish HP uses on these things absorbs color from EVERYTHING and stains ridiculously easily.

Yes. The 4G is nice to have just in case. I’ve never used it on mine, but I’m still glad I have it. You can get T-Mobile to cut down or replace the included SIM to micro-SIM size so that it fits in the color matched SIM tray, too.

It’s not that it’s more difficult, it’s that very few Ubuntu applications will run on an ARM CPU. If you want to learn Linux on one of these guys, it’s a good device for that since the Ubuntu-on-Chromebook community is pretty active, but you absolutely must have an Intel processor if you want a usable Linux machine.

You also have two Linux options - dual-boot or chroot, which allows you to switch the interface being used between Chrome and Ubuntu without actually switching the operating system being used.

The former is good if you want two different environments that don’t touch each other. The latter is good if you want to access your Chrome OS storage from Ubuntu. Because Chrome OS uses a really convoluted file storage scheme that includes encrypted user storage, you can’t touch anything Chrome OS from any other operating system.

Also to note - if the battery completely dies, you won’t be able to boot into Ubuntu or boot off USB or SD until you boot into Chrome and re-enable the flags necessary to make those boot options available.

Keep in mind 99% of the “apps” in the Chrome Store are really just websites with a little wrapper that gives you an application icon in the launcher.

There are more and more Android apps being ported to Chrome OS, but a lot of them are buggy and/or slow. Still better than the joke that is most Chrome apps, but a long way off from replacing a real computer.

It really depends on what you want to do with your computer. I have a Chromebook along with a number of different laptops, desktops, and tablets, most of which run Windows 8.1. Chrome OS is not a replacement for a real computer. Web apps don’t come close to the functionality offered by real desktop applications like Office, Photoshop, or even basic stuff like a good text editor or email client.

Keep in mind, unless you are lock, stock, and barrel entrenched in Google’s ecosystem, a Chromebook is going to be severely limited. There isn’t even a real email client available yet, so forget about working efficiently with anything but a Gmail or Google Apps mail account.

There also aren’t any real social networking apps - that is, standalone applications that offer things like notifications. The Facebook app is literally just facebook.com inside its own browser window. It sucks.

If you’re getting periodic BSODs on your Windows laptop, it’s probably a pretty easy issue to resolve - depending on the age, it could be the hard drive (cheap to replace), RAM (also cheap to replace), or something as simple as a driver update (free).

Do you know if this is the case for the 200MB free plan? I’m guessing not.

You can also upgrade the internal SSD. It’s surprisingly easy. I put a 128GB M.2/NGFF SSD in my Chromebook 14 (Intel/4G model) so that I could install Ubuntu and have plenty of room for my stuff. The only caveat is that you don’t ever want to fully reset the machine or it will wipe the entire SSD, and you have to go through the rigmarole of repartitioning the drive and reinstalling Linux. Plus you’ll lose any data on the Linux side.

I have purchased directory or indirectly 7 of these HP 14 Chromebooks. My daughter’s school has purchased around 50.

I would recommend the 4GB ram, and with that you get the free 4G data, and the Intel processor, which are nicer. 200MB won’t get you music streaming or online video for very long at all, but you can check a LOT of email, and view a lot of regular websites with it.

It is TOTALLY free 200MB, no credit card needed, just a quick online signup.

I have a $3,000 Macbook Pro, and I now usually leave it at the office and just use my HP Chromebook 14 at home. (With Chrome Remote Desktop, which is free, I can access my Mac at the office from the Chromebook at home if I need to.)

Some people will say that “web apps”, aren’t as good a “real” programs, but that is not always true. Everyone used to use installed email programs, now many people use Google Apps, Gmail or Office 360. The future is cloud apps. Turbo tax, Quickbooks, etc, they are all no supplying their software in “web app” form.

My kids have found way to do whatever they need to do with Chromebooks. The only thing I know I couldn’t do it build IOS apps on a Chromebook, but you can’t do that on a windows laptop anyway.

The fact that it turns on and off so quickly, and the battery lasts over 8 hours make it very simple to use.

So, I’m a fan, and recommend chromebooks to everyone that is NOT a huge MicroSoft user.

I’ve had the Chromebook 11 for almost two years and it’s still a high watermark for Chromebooks - the build quality is amazing for something this inexpensive and the IPS display produces gorgeous colours, putting the MacBook Air to shame.

The experience is surprisingly fluid, and you wouldn’t suspect the mobile ARM chipset it uses is similar to a typical smartphone. The major downsides are the limited RAM makes it difficult to keep more than 20 or so tabs open. The battery life is decent but not particularly outstanding for a Chromebook.

Unfortunately, even Outlook Web Access doesn’t come close to the functionality of an actual, installed mail client. If you work with multiple email accounts from different providers, a real mail client is light years ahead of a web interface.

Opening a bunch of websites is a terrible experience versus having real apps on a device. With apps for social networking and media consumption, you get notifications (every time I get a message or comment on Facebook, I just get a notification - I don’t have to leave a browser tab open all the time) and a better interface (the Facebook app in Windows 8.1 doesn’t have ads and when snapped to the side of another window lets me chat in more than a tiny little box at the bottom right corner of the page).

If you started using real apps to do stuff on your computer, I think you’d pretty quickly discover that apps are a significantly better experience than having a million tabs open.

The “s” in “Microsoft” isn’t capitalized, bro.

The Chromebook is okay (I wouldn’t even say great, since a lot of Windows laptops get all-day battery life now) for people 100% in the Google ecosystem, but even then you can just use Chrome in Windows 8 mode to get an experience identical to Chrome OS.

Welp, just got mine yesterday. I can say that its thin, quiet, and nice looking. Keyboard feels a bit cheap but it works and who cares. Takes a while to get used to like figuring out the track pad is also a huge button, and using alt + track pad to “right click - save” images. but seriously INSTANT on. Quick with web pages and its web apps. Need to play with it more but so far so good.

Take note of the chromebook’s os keyboard shortcuts. I often use the screen capture feature ctrl+shift+window bttn, similar to “snip” in windows. See all of them below:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/183101?hl=en&source=genius-rts

Why not use it as-is for a while?