Winery website
Winery website 2

Previous offer:
9/13/10

Courtesy of CJ:

So join or create a gathering!

$5 more than last time…

CT Notes

I got this last time around. Good juice, can’t justify the purchase now, but would buy again if it came up a few months from now.

The Wine Spies Review of the 2006 Chronicle Wines One Hundred Year Old Vines Zinfandel

“Conclusion – The 2006 Chronicle Wines One Hundred Year Old Vines Zinfandel is a remarkably smooth and clean wine with a very approachable nose and a smooth palate. Great red fruit with bramble notes, savory and exotic notes don’t overpower but adds complexity without being disjointed. A lovely wine that will pair well with aged cheeses and smoked meats.”

Can someone speak not to the age of the vines in this intriguing offer but to how the age of the vintage may impact how it drinks currently and how much longer it might hold up well?

Just in case someone has a question about the Labrat program …

You can check out the Labrat info at the beginning of the Labrat Thread, which cheron98 updates with every labrat report.

It gives a great example of how it works, as well as the link to sign up.

Also, even more important, it has links to each offer’s labrat reports (back to June of 2008). So you can see what previous offers were like.

hmmm very interesting! what is the preferred drinking window?

not the same wine as last time…

Luna makes some great wines, I love their Cabs!

Interestingly they don’t really make a Luna label Zin, but if this is as good as their Cabs, it should be a good deal (these are $36/bottle on their website, making this about 60% off with shipping factored in and not counting applicable taxes).

From the website:

Of interest here is the vineyard breakdown is different than the woot description. with 23% of the grapes coming from vines planted in the 50’s.

According to this article it depends on your taste in wine. -

"Vine age is often considered a factor affecting wine quality,” says Kirk Grace, Vineyard Manager at Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars. “Winemakers who wax poetic about wines from a new vineyard hope the qualities they see early on will continue throughout that vineyard’s life. Others believe that the truest expression of a vineyard comes when it has endured the test of time. I believe both viewpoints may be correct.”

It takes about three years from the time a vine is planted for it to bear fruit that can be used in wine. Up to this time any grapes the vine produces are discarded. But it’s not until the vine is about five years old that it produces what may be considered a full crop level. From this point until the vine is about 25 years old – barring any diseases or pests – the vine is in full production mode. After about 25 years, however, the vine slows down and progressively yields less and less fruit. Although vines can live to be over 100 years old, it’s rare to see them reach that age because for most producers, the yield is so small that it isn’t economically viable. Many wineries replace vines as they decline rather than replanting an entire vineyard, so it’s common for one vineyard to have vines and blocks of varying ages.

More at the link below -

http://www.cask23.com/collectorsCorner/article/27

Ugh…the label makes me want to buy it…

If I wasn’t on a SIWBM, I would be in for four of this one. Got it on a previous Woot and loved it.

It’s got heft enough to stand up to a good steak (we had elk steak with it once) but juicy enough to be enjoyed by itself. Oh, and its complexity increases as it breathes going from, well, a velvet texture with good mouth coating to cashmere with spicy sparkles.

A critic, I am not but I know what I like. :slight_smile:

I love zin and am very interested in this. I do have concerns about the shipping, living in N FL where it’s already quite warm. Fed Ex shows up here about 8 pm which means the wine has toured the city all day in the blazing sun, and who knows what conditions it’s been subjected to on the earlier part of it’s (no doubt long and slow) trip. There are obviously some knowledgeable people on here, anyone have some info on just how they protect the wine from cooking in shipping? No sense in buying it and having something that “could have been great”.

Which begs the question - What is the REAL maximum age of the vines in a non-abandoned vineyard? Certainly nobody kept track of what vines were replaced each year, as production slowed after 25 years, vines fell victim to pests, bad growing years, etc… And just as certainly, vines WERE replaced to maintain usable harvest levels. I guess the question is, are ANY of the vines in these “100 year old vineyards” REALLY 50 years or more of age? Or is it just marketing hype?

Chronicle 100 Year Old Vines Zinfandel - 3 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: MarkDaSpark
Speed to first woot: 0m 27.130s
Last wooter to woot: stormn1

In for two…last Chronicle purchase was awesome!

Have the Wine Spies * ever * given a negative review of a wine? I’ve not seen one. No reflection on Chronicle, just something I’ve wondered.

I’d be interested if the winery could compare and contrast this to what are apparently their other two (or more??) zins.