City of Saints Whole Bean Coffee, 3 Pack Sampler

City of Saints Whole Bean Coffee, 3 Pack Sampler

$12.88/lb average
2/3 of it is mystery-sourced
They don’t even say it’s all arabica coffee (most Brazilian beans are robusta).

I’d never buy any blend diluted with robusta.

1 Like

Hi all,
I’m Joe with City of Saints, the roaster. Feel free to ask any questions. This coffee is all arabica, and roasted to order after the woot is finished.

6 Likes

And definitely not mystery sourced. We have more info on our website. Not everything makes its way over the the woot mind collective to end up on the woot page. The Brazil comes from the COCAPEC cooperative in Mogiana, Brazil and is all specialty grade arabica. The Colombia in the blends is from up in Tolima and the Asociación De Productores De Café Especial La Orquídea and the Guatemala is the same Q’anil as the single origin offering.

7 Likes

I picked this up last time and can report that these beans are great. My last batch was roasted about two weeks prior to arriving at my doorstep. Each blend stood out from the other, and yes i’m in for another order!!

4 Likes

It’s actually a good discount, if you’re in the $20/# coffee crowd.

7 Likes

I have slowly been switching to organic coffee; this is not that but besides the increase in cost to you and the consumer, what are your thoughts on organic?

I haven’t had the beans listed here, but I’m currently drinking the “La Virgen” from City of Saints and it’s divine.

https://www.cityofsaintscoffee.com/product-page/colombia-la-virgen

Many of the highly-rated roasters I buy from do not list their coffee as all arabica, yet it’s all arabica - as this roaster has now confirmed.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting conversation. Most specialty grade coffee is grown by small farmers around the globe that will bring their crop to a central washing or milling station for further processing and export. Unless those farmers are part of a larger cooperative, they usually don’t have the money and means to comply with USDA Organic testing, tracing and data storage requirements even if (and this is usually the case) they have never used anything besides fish heads and coffee cherry fruit pulp for fertilizer. This leaves the organic (and Fair Trade) coffees for much larger estates. These small farmers may have the best terroir and treat their plants and lands with the upmost respect, but sadly that conversation usually gets lost with the disconnect between the consumer, the roaster, the importer on the US side, the exporter on the country of origin side, the milling station and the farmer. This is usually why you’ll see more specially roasters choosing their coffee at origin and talking about the people they work with.

7 Likes

These are very good beans at a very good price. One caveat- I prefer light to medium beans, with citrus or berry notes and some acidity, and, FWIW, the “light to medium” roast here was just a bit darker than I prefer in that category (but not actually a dark roast as I often find with so-called “medium” beans from some lesser quality roasters. (I might grab these, again, and just recommended them to a few friends, but I have some already heading my way from another roaster right now.)

1 Like

Glad you’re enjoying it!

1 Like

THANK YOU for this comment. I also prefer light roasts, and had a similar experience with another woot roaster who offered a “light/medium” trio, all of which were medium at minimum. Fine coffee, too, but darker than I’d knowingly buy.

Note to roasters: some of us want truly light roasts, as is doubtless the case for your direct-buy customers. Maybe make those roasts available to experimental Woot purchasers?

We’d be happy to. Our single estate coffees are definitely roasted in the light range, and the Q’anil Guatemala included in the trio is a light roast. When we have discussions with the Woot folks about what coffee to offer and what price points work for most folks, certain compromises are made. Kind of like how our first offer ever had three different roast levels but then we switched to being able to have trios at differing roast levels.
If you all keep buying our coffee, I’m sure woot would be happy with three different trios

3 Likes

I was the first Wooster from UTah to buy this, not many coffee drinkers around here! This looks like something I’m willing to try. I’m part of the atlas coffee subscription club but I’m looking to cancel and try others. It’s kind of fun to try different coffees from around the world.

Why aren’t these details in the product listing?

It’s a mystery to the consumer when accurate details are not in the offering text.

Thanks!

Every time Saints shows up here it’s an instant buy. The light/medium pack is a so good. Every roast is a completely different great experience.

3 Likes

Are the beans very oily? I have a super automatic coffee machine and the grinder doesn’t really like oily beans. Thanks!