City of Saints Whole Bean Coffee 3-Pack

City of Saints Whole Bean Coffee 3-Pack

Holy CaRp didn’t have my glasses on and I almost bought this thinking it was a new type BOC !

Anyone else see a Bag Of Coffee?!? Almost insta-bought!

1 Like

What is the roast date for the beans?

2 Likes

Its roasted to order which means the day the sale ends/day after sale, it gets roasted and then shipped out. So it will probably be roasted tomorrow.

Pricey stuff, but more affordable than some recent offerings on woot. Plus, its fresh. Ive had city of saints before and its pretty good for the money.

4 Likes

Hello Wooters, I’m with City of Saints and I’ll be happy to answer any questions, about this offer, or anything coffee related as long as it isn’t “Why is James Hoffman’s hair so spectacular”. To start, we will be roasting this coffee after we know the final tally of orders, so either tomorrow or Friday, depending on what time of the day tomorrow Woot sends us the info.

5 Likes

Pretty pricey for not being fair trade/organic. I typically buy from gimmie coffee which is cheaper than this sample pack and has great coffee.

When I’ve ordered from this roasterie before, I’ve been super happy. Coffee is great. I’m down.

Hi @lizardboy86. Gimme! is a fun group of people. I’ve visited them in Ithaca many times and have gotten some nice shots of espresso from their cafes in Brooklyn and Manhattan when there were here. They produce some nice stuff. I would definitely say that this deal is a fair bit less expensive than their offerings, though, considering this is three 11oz bags for $33 and they are between $14 and $19 for a 12oz bag.
And while none of these are Fairtrade, we have been working with Josue at Beneficio La Esperanza in Guatemala (and now Brazil!) for 5 years, the Santa Maria Estate folks in Colombia for 3, and Nichol at Baroida Estate in Papua New Guinea for three as well. We like having personal relationships with the producing partners and the reciprocal nature of purchasing crops and giving feedback over many years.

5 Likes

I’m confused which are in light vs the dark 3 pack? It doesn’t seem clear to me.

Hi there. From the specs tab:

1 Like

Good response. I typically buy a 5 lb bag so I might make out in the long run. Our local coffee shop (binghamton ny) used to carry their products but stopped.

Not a pound…oh wait, not even 12 ounces. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hence the word “sampler”

:w_tongue:
:coffee:

3 Likes

Ooh! I’ve got a question!

A few months ago I received a bag of the Citizen blend through my Trade subscription. It wasn’t bad by any means, but it was - for me - pretty standard coffee. Can you comment on whether the light/medium roasts on offer here are more similar or dissimilar to the Citizen blend? I know there are ways to describe what I like/don’t like, but I’m not well versed enough to explain what I do/don’t prefer using the right language quite yet.

It might be worth mentioning that I have a burr grinder and typically either use an Oxo 8 cup coffee maker (gold standard certified), an Oxo dripper (no, I don’t work for Oxo), or an Aeropress and I drink my coffee black.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

hello @ngallion. Sure, the Citizen blend that you had was a dual Brazil blend that is great as an espresso (creamy, chocolaty) but kinda monotone for drip - and a straight Brazils will always have that peanutty thing going on.
The light trio has more punch to it for a drip/aeropress kinda brew with the Q’anil being a great example of a Guatemalan coffee with some stone fruit like juiciness but a solid nuttiness in the finish. The Baroida is a washed Indonesian so it’s very different than a normal Sumatra, much cleaner, but it has a fun toasted rice tea genmaicha thing going on. The 1320 is just a very traditional, approachable drip blend we originally did for a chain of donut stores that is comprised of the Guat Q and a single estate Colombia.

3 Likes

Every time local roasters are offered, there’s always talking about the high price. These beans just aren’t highly priced when compared to similar quality roasters - indeed, these are very well priced. I have ordered several times and they are good quality beans, particularly their lighter roasts.

1 Like

That’s very helpful. Thank you!

What would you recommend for espresso?

Wish I wasn’t overrun with coffee at this moment. This stuff is great.