Claiborne & Churchill 2009 Dry Gewürztraminer & 2008 Dry Riesling, Central Coast - 4 Pack

Claiborne & Churchill 2009 Dry Gewürztraminer & 2008 Dry Riesling, Central Coast - 4 Pack
$54.99 + $7.00 shipping
CONDITION: White
PRODUCTS:
2 2009 Dry Gewürztraminer Central Coast
2 2008 Dry Riesling Central Coast
CT links above

Winery website

Facebook
Yelp

Previous offer:
4/20/11

Screw tops or is there a cork in there as well?

I love Gewurz but have never characterized them as dry. Can we please get a rat to describe the taste in more detail? Thanks.

Screwtops on both

The bottles look deceptively French.

These each go for $20 a bottle on the winery website, looks like a pretty good deal to me

I, too, need help understanding “dry” in terms of these wines - does it mean less sweet?

Gewurztraminer was the first real wine I liked (when I was young, stupid and cool and moving up from white zin). It took a few years, but I started to not like it, mostly because it got too sweet AND it made me reallllly sleepy. To be fair, I’m pretty sure it was a Fetzer Gewurtz, so the quality level was questionable at best.

I guess I’m just trying to figure out how I feel about this offering, and a little more info could go a long way :slight_smile:

does the winery have a woot account? I have a question (logistical) for them.

Zingy, spicy, fruity, zesty, but NOT SWEET. Less than half a percent residual sugar.

From the previous offering:

Hmm…

Ahh - time for some summer shipping…

Edit - oops. Summer shipping yesterday too, but I wasn’t home. Holiday, you know. Back to the discussion--------

thank you, kind sir :slight_smile:

[edit] and YAY for summer shipping!!

Summer shipping and dry Gewürztraminer! Nice combo, I’m very tempted.

The RS is .3% for the Gewurz, .39% for the Riesling. That’s pretty dry. How dry that tastes will depend on fruit character, acidity level, and one’s palate. This won’t be candy sweet, mass-market style.

I had the '07 Riesling from C&C recently. To me it wasn’t bone dry, but had a nice balance of acidity with a hint of sweetness upfront. Definitely met my expectations for a dry Riesling–it’s as much more about acid-sweetness balance than RS.

I go to Cal Poly and I’ve only heard good things. I’m tempted to order… but my shipping address is in limbo and I can’t have them shipped to a PO box :frowning:

Thanks and welcome!

Is the fruit for these sourced from your own vineyards or outside?

And we are all interested in the dry vs. sweet description for both!

I went to a wine tasting earlier this year in South Carolina which produced Gerwurz in dry, semi-dry, semi-sweet and sweet. Being a Gerwurz fan myself, I tried each and I actually preferred the drier varieties over the others (but I don’t particularly like sweet wines). I think the sweet and semi-sweet versions were overpowering, while the dries allowed many more of undertones to come through. Most of this is really personal preference, however.

We have a couple of small estate vineyards but purchase most of the fruit that we crush, typically from cool-climate vineyards in Monterey, San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara counties. We’ve been making Dry Gewuz and Dry Riesling for 27 years. Believe me, these wines are not sweet. The Fetzer, for example, has four times the residual sugar than ours.