Clos La Chance - Trio

On the fence here. Grenache and low-alcohol Zin are my 2 favorite varietals right now, and I’m always interested in a good Meritage, so the set is definitely in my zone.

But…is it a good enough deal? I’ve never seen a $30 Cali grenache before, so I don’t know if that’s really worth it. GV didn’t think so. I see the '05 Hummingbird Zin at BevMo - 3 miles from my house - for $13. The Meritage leads with Merlot, when I usually prefer more Cab-based blends with Merlot as a supporting player. Stuart Cellars was at this price point, but was a much better deal based on their winery retail (list price $84 vs. $66 here). I just can’t pull the trigger yet.

I thought woot was German phrase meaning “at least 1/3 off”.

You are getting 1/3 off when retail shipping is factored in.

A review here and a more favorable one here of the Mertiage… didn’t find many reviews of the Grenache or Zin, mostly quotes from the winery page.

That’s a strange field to have been messed up, but it is fixed now. Thanks for the QA check!

If only the Giants could start winning again…

WD has some very powerful connections to get early releases to us…or…didn’t you realize Jan 2009 is only 10 days away?? This year really flew by! Quite a wine year for me.

I got in for one early this morning, but I’m wonder if we should be holding this 2006 for a while…Labrats what do we have here??

They did. Weren’t you watching?

Rust belt football is at it’s prime with the Lions, Browns, and Bengals fighting for draft picks!! Don’t get me started on the Browns. They played brain dead and like they were only out there for a fat pay check! HS football is more exciting and much cheaper.

Gotta think of wine. Gotta think of wine. Gotta think of wine. Ok, I’m back into the right frame of mind again!

While I haven’t had these specific wines. I have had a number of wine from Clos La Chance. And in fact have reviewed a handful of them(including the previous vinatge of the Zin) on my blog earlier this year. Generally speaking their wines are very well crafted, nicely balanced wines, built to enjoy with food.

my .02 cents…

Gabe

EHP momentary hijack and update.
2nd of 12 bottles opened and consumed this weekend. Absolutely and totally different (in a good way) from the first horrible and funky-tasting bottle I noted on the EHP discussion. Other tasters - who tasted both bottles - agreed that, in retrospect, something was very very badly wrong with the first, and that the 2nd was enjoyable. Cross my fingers on the next 10. Only fair to note the positive experience on the 2nd bottle here, after the previous negative (yet legit) post.

Looks so tempting! Buying so much wine lately, though…

Oh what to do what to do!!! Don’t want it delivered until Jan. 4-5th. Anyone know if these will be like previous wines and not be delivered for 2 weeks? I leave for vacation on the 28th. Didn’t see any mention of 2 day delivery again.

Going to wait for rats on this one…though I would be down to buy someone’s Zin from them (if you are in NC or DC). Potentially I would be interested in splitting the Grenache if you’re local. But not really any interest in the Meritage, alas.

Ordered it anyway - maybe will get a chance to labrat. Family will be here so a few can taste.

Hmmmm, would be a buy if I wasn’t already overloaded on wine. I like that the ABV and pH both look to be well-balanced on all of these wines. Assuming the RS is under 3 g/l, the balance should be there.

Pretty sure there’s no 2-day delivery here. I’ll let WineDavid comment on the holiday shipping/delivery schedule. As a Northeast resident, if I ordered today I personally wouldn’t expect to receive mine until around the 8th of January at the earliest. Almost certainly will be 1st full week of January at the earliest, maybe into the second week depending on how crazy the holiday shipping is.

I too have been getting some “funky” tasting EHP. So far one out of the four we have consumed was out of whack. Two to go but i’ll take the 50/50 odds.

Kinda like Paris and Brittany shopping on Rodeo Drive rather than a local department store!!! They can’t enjoy good clothes if the price tag isn’t big $$$. Even though some of the $$$$ outfits look like Goodwill.

I bought 12, drank 6. So far only one was bad, couldn’t even finish the bottle. I just hope the 2 I gift are good.

I fell asleep during the game and just got the paper now. And didn’t DVR the game!!!

Things are looking up…and with home field advantage.