Cobra GPS 1000 DLX Handheld GPS Bundle

do you have to pay a monthly fee?

No voice guidance, no way. I replaced my last one that could not talk. Too dangerous and inconvenience when driving.

Not only is it ugly, but the screen is shoddy. It’s fine if you are walking around, but I’d be ashamed to have this in my auto. For a bit more (ok…a lot more) you could have something real nice.

You get what you pay for and while the poor-man’s GPS is nice, it be more advisable to save and get something that has John Cleese’s voice in it (and they even charge extra for that!)

I’d like to meet who orders these? Cause I got a lot of worthless junk I could sell you. Stuff that is inferior to most things available today, including a 2 gig jukebox from compaq that was bleeding expensive 10 or so years ago.

Why do I need GPS for highways? Rarely do you absolutely need a GPS system for highways, as a map will usually suffice.

That’s why I say that if you’re going to get GPS, you might as well go all-out and get a good GPS system. One that can navigate roads anywhere, allows you to look-up local conviences, etc.

2XAA

There is no monthly fee to use a GPS, the goverment lets us use the satelites for free :stuck_out_tongue:

No subscription necessary,

GPS uses sat. in orbits that were put up by the US Gov. It uses these signals to triangulate your position. No fee is associated with use of these signals.

It’s rubbish. Get him one with voice directions, he’d appreciate that and then he can keep his eyes on the road while he’s gearjamming :wink:

You don’t pay a monthly fee for using GPS?!?! With Garmin, eventually you might want to pay for updated maps, but I haven’t needed to so far.

If he has to type in addresses, I wouldn’t recommend this. It might be difficult, but it just depends on what he delivers and where. I am a computer tech, and I used to use Microsoft Pocket Streets (the program that comes with Microsoft Mappoint that loads onto a Pocket PC, my Dell axim in this case) with a pre-downloaded map of my city. It worked fairly well and it was easy to type in addresses. It even integrated with the outlook contacts to allow me to choose a contact and find their address on the map automatically.

THANK YOU!

This is not the greatest one for driving directions. Not even sure if this calculates routes or not. You will be better off looking for one that has speech for an extra $100 so you husband can keep his eyes on the road.

Is there any reason why it says it has a serial cable? Wouldn’t you think people would be using USB by now… I mean my motherboard doesn’t even have a serial port (Asus P5WD2 Premium). Little behind on technology?

Ummm,

GPS service is FREE. The US Government put up the sats for the military. These babies just freeload off the data signal.
Does your map tell you where you are within 10 feet, without having to figure out anything?
If your $1 map has the major streets of the entire USA, how do you fold that thing?

Wondering about Cobra GPS though… They make okay FRS radios and pretty good radar detectors… haven’t seen their GPS before… Anyone have experience?

For future reference (seems that uplateanyway isn’t):

Cobra GPS 1000 DLX Handheld GPS Bundle $89.99+ $5 shipping

condition: New
product(s):
1 Cobra GPS 1000 DLX Handheld GPS
1 Cobra GPA 1000 SCB Auto Bracket
1 Cobra GPA 1500 CC 12 volt auto adapter /serial cable
1 Cobra GPA 1000 IC - 7 ft serial cable

GPS doesn’t have monthly fees associated with it…it’s gov’t run. The GPS unit does all the analysis (triangulations) therefore the satellites aren’t bogged down thus being able to remove monthly fees unlike satellite radio (which I’m also looking into getting).

Already have a B&W Garmin handheld. Get me Color @ this price range, and then I’ll be interested.

You must be one of those old people who prefers a typewriter and postal system to e-mail. There is no monthly fee to use this service, and a map won’t tell you exactly where you are, and won’t give you directions to where you’re going, tell you how fast you’re going, and…ah I’m wasting my time, if it rains on your map you’ll wish you had one of these. :stuck_out_tongue:

Pssst, dude…GPS is free. If a company wants to charge fees for extra services, that’s one thing, but this device, this GPSr, will cost you nothing to use. Thank Uncle Sam for picking up the $400 million yearly maintenance cost.

If I didn’t already have a GPS, I’d get this one for geocaching. The price is right. It should work just fine for that purpose.