Columbia Winery Washington Quartet

Living just 20 mintues away from their main winery in Woodinville, WA (near Seattle), I have the chance to sample Columbia Winery’s offerings regularly. Definitely one of the big three/four in WA: Chateau Ste. Michelle is one, so is Hogue and Columbia Crest.

However, Columbia Winery and Chateau Ste. Michelle, while both large, produce better quality wines than the other two. There’s rarely anything super unique in their standard vintages, but they are always very drinkable, and perform just like you would expect for the varietal on the front of the bottle. These are solid performers to fall back on for a weekday dinner or a large party.

I don’t have the exact points in front of me, but here are the tasting notes from their site:

2001 Merlot (80% Merlot, 9% Cab Franc, 6% Malbec, 5% Sangiovese)
Bright ruby red with good depth. Attractive red cherry and berry aroma with a touch of herbs and cedar. Fresh, sweet fruit with fine, ripe tannin structure. An elegant, lively wine that is extremely food friendly.

2001 Cabernet Sauvignon (100% Cabernet Sauvignon)
A very dry year produced a light crop. Berries were small and intensely flavored. Harvest started in late September and the fruit was in exemplary condition. Ruby red in color. Attractive berry and cherry fruit with herbal notes. Full flavored with ripe, mature tannins and sweet fruit.

Oh, and big thank you to wine.woot for bringing back some WA state wine! First since the Reininger, and the Pepper Bridge before that.

Woot doesn’t like you today, you should be able to use your normal woot account. Plus I just recently signed up through wine.woot and when I did paypal was an option. Maybe try again later?

whines Paypal isn’t even showing up as an option. Grr oh well I’ll try again in the morning… maybe something will change. Thanks for letting me know :slight_smile:

picked up two of these quartets… still waiting for my monkey prize, UPS tracking info show that it hasn’t even left the west cost :frowning: … i want my monkey prize!

Why does it “highly suggest” using a business address to ship to.

It has to be signed by some one over 21 and sober.

Because if you work or go to school during the day, you play games trying to catch the UPS guy while you’re at home.

Haha! We have gotten 3 wine shipments to our home, when we were home(relatively sober)…and yet UPS has left each and every one ON the doorstep without even bothering to knock or ring the bell. So you kids, feel free to go ahead, steal mom or dad’s Visa, and get yourself some vino collapso!

Is it obvious what is in the box? If so, I can’t believe they would just leave it outside. If it was just plain…then I could see it maybe.

Wine Enthusiast rated the Cab 89. Here are their notes:

There are distinct herbal scents mixed in with the flavors of cassis, blueberry and plum, which makes this rather lean cabernet feel a bit French. It’s nicely balanced and long, with nuances of coffee, green tea, meat fat and vanilla. Complex and layered.

Now I have to make up my mind whether to get one or two.

I’m in for two. Considering how fast last week’s Woot went, I’m grabbing it now. I need some “drink it now” wines, so this should fit in nicely.

Wine Spectator Rating

Merlot Columbia Valley 2001
Lithe, crisp and focused, with smoky cherry, herb and pepper flavors that persist on the firm, fine-grained finish. Drink now through 2010. 21,823 cases made. –HS
Score: 87 | Price: $15

Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley 2001
Firm and chewy, not a big wine, but the dark berry and herb flavors can’t quite get past the tannins, which are not massive but more than the flavors seem to want. Best after 2005. 22,117 cases made. –HS
Score: 86 | Price: $15

Edit
I was going to wait, but I went ahead and got a set. I don’t need more than one set, though.

Given the pricepoint and the fact that we have good ratings from two different rating places and the hype of this place after last week, my prediction is that this wine will sell more than any other on Wine.Woot…Just my hunch.

Yep! Makes me want to buy . . .

The price is definitely right but I’m not really a Merlot drinker. If I didn’t already have a few cases of wine on hand at the moment I’d take a flyer on it.

The answer is that they will not deliver wine unless there is someone there to sign for it, and the person signing must be over the age of 21. So if you have a job and there will be no one home during the days… if behooves you to have it delivered to a business address, where there is a much greater chance there will be someone there.

Robert Parker gives the 2001 Washington vintage an overall score of 92 - their highest score since 1989. Washington State produces excellent, mass-quantity wines; most estates are of the industrial-size variety.

If you are looking for a rare boutique wine, go elsewhere. If you want a bold Cab (or Merlot) that drinks well now and would drink very well up to ten years from now, then this is a decent price for an excellent vintage from a good winery. I’m in for four bottles.

After getting shut out last week, I’m in. Need some good reds for the holiday season.

I’m in for one. I hoping for a nice wine fridge for Christmas so I may as well start stocking up.

Columbia Winery wines are frequently $9.99 plus sales tax at our local grocery store. There really isn’t much savings here. I suppose if I buy a case and spread the $5 shipping charge over three four-packs it’s an adequate deal.

The Parker Station deal remains the best deal we’ve gotten.

There’s no way this week’s deal sells out.