Community Critiques for Rejected Daily Subs

It’s drawn well, but the humor is a bit shallow. If the mower related more to the game in some way. Like a bad guy turned into a mower. Or he was riding a turtle shell (mario style) that was plowing down the grass, then it might play a little better. They love unexpected mash ups.

STICK A TARDIS ONNIT

All of these designs are really awesome… damn you Woot. Here’s one I was hoping Woot would have printed, but alas was rejected. I often submit my derbies as dailies after some time has passed and I’ve cleaned them up a bit. I see this one could still use some cleaning up.

what, no replies for two days? for shame! where are the artists that are supposed to participate?

just kidding, i know there’s not much traffic on the weekends. anyhoo, here are my comments:

1. i think it’s well drawn.
  2. i know some people like a muted color palette, but personally i would like a wider range of colour. looking at the theatrical release poster included on the wikipedia article on tnbc,

there is more dark purple and some orange that stands out. i could see the cheshire cat as being associated with a moar intense orange, and mabe some dark purple would add some depth to the background, if you could rejigger the colours a bit. just some suggestions for colour, i am by no means a colour expert.

save it for Fall, fer sure.
You could probably do with more line variation. I don’t quite understand the face, it doesn’t really fit with TNBC theme. It’s not oogie, or jack, or a pumpkin…

mashup with alice in wonderland. cheshire cat.

Thanks for the input guys-- yes I was going for nmbc/Alice wonderland mash up. The rabbit is always late! (For Easter)…

I wish I had a couple of mine to post on here - I’ll try to remember after work. Thanks for helping me feel normal though. I’ve submitted some for dailies that I think look fantastic, but don’t fit a derby theme, and invariably I get rejected. Meanwhile, some of the dailies that DO get printed are lightyears away from my personal taste. I thought maybe I just wasn’t experienced enough to get printed as a daily. I do have my 7th shirt in the catalog now, thank you very much. Not too bad for starting this January, IMHO.

I wish Woot would take a minute to explain what they didn’t like about a design, so you can potentially fix it and make them boatloads of money, rather than the standard “no thanks, but shop it around!” I understand they get thousands of designs, but still… I need constructive criticism sometimes.

Sometimes, if you ask, they’ll answer. I’ve sent emails directly to travis and mikeD before and both have been kind enough to respond, sometimes super-helpfully and sometimes more of the same standard stuff. I have to assume the standard stuff comes from a place of “if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say it at all” or maybe they just don’t “get it”…but yeah, if you feel really strongly about a design, it might be worth a follow-up email to ask.