Computer Help

He probably wants to use his computer for something else besides glorified web surfing…

As a note, Vista isn’t worth using for the average joe until 6-12 months after deployment. The lack of hardware and software support, as well as service patches effecting user centered design, prevent an operating system from being effective. So yeah, you’re well in your mind to install Windows XP and keep your CD key around to use towards the end of the summer.

Seems like to much work…

I agree. If you system currently has XP, there’s no need to upgrade unless you’re an enthusiast that likes to try out the new stuff.

If your computer came with Vista pre-installed, leave it. The drivers are already there and should be working. You’d be doing it all yourself to roll back to XP.

You’ll get used to it. It’s just the change at the moment.

See…you thought you didn’t have a life. Your life is helping Fen and all the other clueless like me.

Oh, that made me feel better… not!

sorry, group hug for daj

http://www.2ni2.com/emoticon/amor/grupo_amistad.gif

Poof and I revere you as a god.
Does that help any?

Edit: I’m the second from left.

Fen, I can’t remember if you are an FF user or not. There have been a couple updates in the last week or so and it’s much more Vista friendly now.

I am thinking of upgrading, but I am afraid my PATA RAID card will not work.
Its the card that runs my $50 woot drives. =)

hehe

So, I’ve been playing MP3 files on my comp and sometimes the processor usage goes up and it “skips”. Can anyone tell me why this would be?

No, I can’t. In fact, no one in the world could possibly tell you with those kinds of details.

What program are you using to play mp3s? What is their compression rate? Do you have an integrated or independent sound card? (Laptop means on-board.) What other programs or Windows processes are running at the same time? How much ram do you have? What speed is your hard drive?

Any of these can contribute to a “skip” in in your computer’s audio output.

Mr. Star,

Every time your player skips, an angel gets its wings.

Nice.

Windows media player 2Gigs ram, 2X2Ghz processor 64Kbps It’s a laptop. How do I find out the HD speed?

Stay away from VISTA… dam Microsoft… Find a copy of XP out there, and load that…

This doesn’t sound good… I will be buying a laptop in the fall for my nephew (Confirmation/graduation/birthday present all wrapped in one). I am really hoping they do a service pack upgrade before I need to buy it.

Doesn’t the old service pack automatically upgrade to the new one?

Maybe because the bloatware is so busy doing so much unnecessary stuff (like checking to see if you paid for the music, cataloging the music and your listening habits, reporting to microsoft and/or music organizations all of the collected data, downloading the latest artwork for the music, downloading advertisements based on your listening habits, trying to synchronize a flashy visualization of the music, etc.) that it forgets to actually play the music in the first place?

This sounds like typical Vista operation to me… sacrificing performance in everyday useful tasks like listening to music or copying and renaming files all in the name of “security” and “protecting” the user’s digital “rights.”