Computer questions

actually if I went to jail and had a “special” friend i would be freaked out. Some alternative lifestyle cellmate might do something to me.

so, uh, i’ve been running a virus scan on my laptop because i thought i might’ve gotten something… it’s been running really slow. anyway, i started it thursday of a week ago, and it’s still going (i wouldn’t say going strong, just going)… it’s at roughly 41,000 files scanned. i’m ready to just run the system restore disk that it came with. if i do reinstall windows, and i do have a virus or something that’s made it get so slow, will that likely get rid of it? or should i do that and then run the virus scan when it installs and that should take care of the problem?

still haven’t gotten my desktop up and running, but i haven’t tried to

Hi, jq. Can’t help you, but since I haven’t seen you in a while, thought I’d acknowledge you.

Bubba. We have been looking for bubba for years now!

Hi jqubed!

Not in the best state to give advice, but judging by the nature of viruses, I would think a system restore would not be a guarantee to get rid of it. Wiping your hard drive and starting over from scratch, yes, but if I were to program a virus it would hang on until the bitter end. An updated anti-virus utility that can run before boot would be your best bet at catching it. Slow Windows systems are often due to decaying hardware and/or corrupted system files. I just delt with this yesterday. If a restore were to fix it, I would guess it’s not a virus… I’m not being anti-Microsoft, but from my experience sometimes Windows just self-destructs, for lack of a better way of describing it…

I acknowledge you exist. Have a nice day.

Do you think I need a Duo-core?

Do you need it? No. Is it helpful when running Vista and multi-tasking with the latest software? Yes.

I hate making decisions.

What is the diff btwn the
AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-50 (comes W/ the $599 deal)
and the
AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-56

Mine has the
AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology MK-36

TL-50 is 1.6ghz and TL-56 is 1.8ghz.

MK-36 is 2ghz but single core.

Doesn’t seem worth upgrading… The cust service is closed today.

I know blue told me what to do about this, but I forgot.
Storage devices don’t show up on my computer. It can be accesed by any program other than windows, everyone else sees it. What was I supposed to do?

They all say location 0, does that mean anything?

hi everybody! i’m on spring break, but i’ll be away some of the break. once school’s back on in a week, expect me gone until the end of the semester…

yeah, i want to figure out how to set this to work on boot-up. i think part of the problem is in explorer, i checked it once from task manager and it was using over 20,000 kb of resources. guess that’s what happens when you let a couple months elapse before renewing your virus definitions. anyway, i’m up to 58,000 files scanned. the only other thing i can really think other than a virus is it seems to have started getting slower since I installed a Sony Vegas trial, but it didn’t happen right away, and the computer has been gradually getting slower and slower. you wouldn’t happen to know how to make Symantec AnitVirus (the corporate edition) run from boot if I don’t have a CD for it, do you? it was a free download from the school; i can call their tech support this week (hopefully they’re not all on break too)

the other reason i think it’s a virus (besides outlook starting to claim parts of it are missing), is because a week or two before this really started getting slow is when my desktop with out of date virus protection thought it had an incoming worm, so i rebooted and the registry was corrupted too much to fix (that’s a project to try and repair tomorrow).

side note: i’ve seen Windows Vista 32-bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM from newegg for $200. i need to upgrade my win2k desktop to XP at least anyways, so I can edit HDV movies, so I figure I might as well just jump ahead to Vista with that. Since with win2k I have to do a clean install anyway with the upgrade, do you think there’s any problem with using this instead? do they have it crippled in some way so it can only work with brand new system? it sounds like it should work… maybe i should try running a dual boot or something for a while, if i can figure that out… that might necessitate a trip to my local computer shop, which means no more savings on Vista

Hi, jq, bye, jq. We’ll miss you. Have a good break. Have a good semester. See you sometime.

VIsta OEM vs Retail

Extreme Tech Article

PC Mag Article

:frowning:

We’ll miss you jqubed.

sweet, thanks daj!