Computers For The Gaming

Just curious, but it seems like the power supplies for the HP units are quite low for the amount of power I would assume is needed for a gaming PC.

I would guess that these units aren’t really expandable, which I would figure is part of the allure of buying a tower PC these days.

Are they underpowered?

Beware the alienware - I’ve owned three, and all three had thermal failure. Not well cooled.

I’ll second this. I had a brand new Alienware Laptop given to me as a gift 3 years ago and only a couple months in I started having problems due to overheating, and I never overclocked it – everything has always been at factory settings.

HOWEVER you can change the backlit keyboard to be all kinds of cool colors! So I’d say that pretty well evens out the inability to actually be able to use the machine normally.

Two things. These are not good gaming computers because they all have very under-powered graphics card … you know, the most important part of a gaming PC. Secondly, I also had overheating issues with my Alienware laptop. The smaller form factor was nice but what is the point when the machine crashes after 15 min of playing any game? Do some research on graphics card benchmarks before buying one of these PC’s for gaming.

I have noticed a few of you having problems with overheating! I am typing this from my 14 inch Alienware that my work provides and I use a cooling pad underneath my laptop! Were the individuals that had overheating issues using cooling pads or gaming without?

I do now use a cooling pad and use a little app to constantly monitor the temp of my cores (I use CoreTemp which I’d recommend to anyone looking for a small app to monitor your power usage/temp/etc.) Today one core has hit 77C, which is still a little higher than I’d like. When I first suspected overheating was the issue I checked my core temps during gaming and found them at 98C. I very quickly shut the computer down and invested in a pad. Without the cooling pad, temps always shoot over 90C during gaming.

The Tj Max on my machine is 100C (the threshold where the CPU powers itself down to prevent damage), but before I had the cooling pad I would often have my graphics fail when the temps got high. It would then revert to the integrated graphics which only caused the CPU to work harder.

Ultimately, I have to admit that I’ve been using my laptop as more of a stationary gaming/coding for school setup – hooked up to a couple 24" monitors, sound system, etc. It’s not really built to do that kind of work (at least not well and not for extended periods of time), so I’m building a box that is better designed for my usage.

Sorry for the long post, but in the end – You are absolutely right. With a cooling pad, the laptop works just fine.

None of these are particularly good gaming computers. Save money and wait for an IBuypower/Cyberpower sale.

Well, considering that there’s one of those sales on right now @ computers.woot… and that none of THOSE are “very good options” either…

I picked up the Omen to have a capable gaming laptop that still has a good screen for watching movies and a 15" form factor overall to remain nice and portable. 2 gigs of VRAM aside it looks like a capable all-around second computer for ~$1000.

Word. Or go with the Asus G series of gaming laptops. No cooling issue, EVER. And quiet too. Yes, a bit bulky and not very user friendly when it comes to taking it apart. But well worth the money.

Alienware is a joke.

A bit more info to support your claim would give it some credibility.

My son has an Alienware and is doing fine with it. Needed one fix and Dell send someone out to his school to fix it.

Word. I have an Asus G73JH from forever ago that’s still going strong. Admittedly I’m not cranking anything up to max anymore but most games still play fine.

None of these systems are good for gaming they are all too cpu heavy. A i5 4690k is really the highest end cpu you can justify in a gaming focused build unless you just have money to burn. If your looking to get into pc gaming and your trying to save money diy is the way to go. This would be a fairly good starting point http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/wnttt6/modest-gaming-build

Wow, a lot of naysayers.

http://electronics.woot.com/offers/hp-17-3-full-hd-i7-touchsmart-laptop-13

That’s what I bought a year ago.

It plays WoW fine, Borderlands 2, etc. So I think the HP laptops are fine.

PROS: Sound! Holy smokes, the speakers are more than enough! And they sound really good (even with the dreaded beats brand). Screen is awesome and bright! I also like the keyboard, it’s not bad.

Cons: I hate the touchpad. There isn’t something to click. It’s really obnoxious. Power plug into laptop is getting a little loose. The hinge for the screen is getting a TINY bit loose as well. This is after heavy use. Computer does get a little hot but you only need to worry about not blocking the fans.

Don’t shy away from the HP laptops. I feel like they’re getting better. The 17 inch screen feels so nice when you’re gaming on the go.

I’ve been entrenched in the PC enthusiast/power-user community for quite sometime, and after skimming the comments feel I might be able to offer some insight to potential buyers.

First of all, you’d be hard pressed to find another market where ‘fanboy-ism’ reigns more supreme. Therefor, comments akin to the, “alienware sucks” (paraphrasing) are practically unavoidable in discussions. Put simply, this stems from the degree of parity within the industry and the subsequent reliance on marketing for differentiation. It’s quite similar to automotives really.

Secondly when buying a computer, and doubly so if it’s a laptop (very limited options for upgrading, if any), it’s absolutely critical to be aware of just how fast this technology evolves. Time of purchase is paramount if you intend to get decent value per dollar.

So, if you’re thinking of making an investment in a PC, buying from a vendor primarily used to move product is not recommended.

Got my Omen in today. This thing looks and feels really slick, and the m.2 SSD (PCI-E interface) is an amazingly fast boot.

Just know you’re only getting a ~200 gig SSD and a GPU that plays current games at medium, and I’d give it a pretty strong recommend - especially if you bring your own mouse (the extra wide touchpad means it doesn’t like to click as easily as I’d normally expect from a laptop touchpad.)

Hey woot for the Dell XPS 8700 could you have a version with only 8GB of ram. Also remove the blu ray, wireless card, and the 2TB HDD. Instead of all that you could place a better graphics card in it :smiley:

Bought this 18" (advanced user); had to take the keyboard out to install 16GB of the (total 32GB) of ram. The system has Windows 7 HP if you want to use over 16GB Ram you need to update to Win 7 Pro (or 8.1) I would buy this again it can handle anything with the 2 GPU cards; after all it is 4GB of dedicated memory. No overheating even in gamming in fairness I have it on a cool pad.

I’m with ThunderThighs on this one! To all the naysayers out there these are great machines for gaming and day to day computing tasks! Multiple people in my office have Alienware as both their work and home laptops and when repairs are needed they are fast and reliable. None of the repairs have had to do with hardware malfunction but more on the lines of small children getting near the laptops and plucking off keys or accidentally stepping on on the keyboard!