Continuing Education...advice please?

Ok…so I’ve been thinking about going back to school…I did the whole college thing for about a year and a half, and it really was NOT for me. I stopped going to school and started working and just sort of stuck with that for a while. I’ve worked many different jobs over the past several years. Right now I work as a Veterinary Technician…I’m learning alot on the job as I go, but have had no formal schooling in the field. I love working with animals, but I’m having second thoughts about this field…I had alot more fun as a dog trainer and pet sitter, but the money just wasn’t there (unless you own your own business, which is a-whole-nother can o’ worms). Being a Tech is a very physically demanding and mentally stressful job, but it also pays better and I still get to work with my four-legged friends.

My mom has been on my ass the past few months to get my life together and go back to school. Part of me really does want to learn more and “increase my earning potential” and “make myself more marketable” and all those stupid, annoying, industry catch-phrases. Part of me says I work full time, sometimes 50-60 hour weeks, and I don’t have time for school…but even if I DID have the time for it I’m not sure about going into animal medicine and getting licenced as a Vet Tech.

When I DID go to college all those years ago, one of my true passions was art. I know I’ve never submitted a design here - even though I’ve toyed with the idea…just don’t seem to find the time to follow through - but I think I’m a fairly good artist. I’m thinking about going back to school for some kind of art related degree, but I have NO IDEA where to begin. I’d probably end up going for some sort of web design or advertising type of study, I guess, but I was really hoping for some suggestions/insider info/etc.

[b]To those in some kind of art related profession…do you have any advice? Like what to focus on, and what is not so important in the business side of art? Where did you go to school and what kind of degree did you get?

Above all, I’m looking for a program that can realistically be completed in 2 years, and perhaps offers an online study program so I can keep my current job and living arrangments as-is.[/b]

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my (highly abridged) life story, and for any helpful advice you may have =)

edit:
PS I live in NY…Westchester specifically…so if you know of anything local to here don’t hesitate to mention! I could also probably arrange moving back to Long Island, where I was from up until about a year ago…and would not be totally opposed to relocating elsewhere, I’d jsut rather not have to if it can be avoided at this time.

If nobody answers you here, you can post it again in the world of woot shirts.

Thanks for the tip/permission. I figured I was safer posting this here, since it’s technically not about shirts at all, but I also know not as many people browse these parts of the forums…so if all else fails, I will repost in a more populated area of the site soon!

edit: Ok scratch that…I went ahead and reposted over there just now. I figure the more time it’s posted the quicker I might get some helpful advice. Thanks again!

Good luck!

plastics.

No, fool.

One word. Plastics.

that’s five words.

The Graduate - Rotten Tomatoes
www.rottentomatoes.com/m/graduate/

Rating: 87% - 46 reviews
“One word: plastics.” “Are you here for an affair?” These lines and others became cultural touchstones, as 1960s youth rebellion seeped into the California upper middle-class in Mike Nichols’…
Directed by Mike Nichols. Starring Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft, Katharine Ross.

now you’re posting many, many more words than one.

Not an artist, but I’ll throw in my $.02. If you want a marketable art degree and are thinking of web design as an option, most of the jobs I see for that require a marketing (or very closely related) degree. Most graphic design courses do not qualify as this (at least here - on the opposite coast, as I have a friend with one and she’s stuck).

Personally, I know there is no way I would survive a marketing class, so I’ve never pursued this idea any further even though I do some web development and design. I’m more on the programming side though. If you really know what you want to do and you don’t see the exact program you are looking for, but what you want would be combining two different disciplines, you should look into the feesability of doing that before you sign any papers and get started.

Hope some of that helps.

KtC, we have obviously hijacked this thread. Laggyg started one on woot shirt and people are helping there, if you want to cut and paste your reply.

I don’t go to the shirt.woot forums, it’s policy.

I’m sure they have better advice than me, and yes I saw that hijack.

Well, I cut and pasted and responded to you over there, in the remake of this topic if you care to read it at least. Or I could C&P my reply here I guess, but this thread seems to be about plastic now or something…

interestingly enough (to me anyway), the original poster posted a replied to you, but in the other thread.

edit: d’oh! too slow!

alright you all dragged me up there. Replied again, in the other thread. Now I’m safely home :slight_smile:

but, that’s where all the cool kids are…

Are you trying to guilt me? It won’t work. I don’t have enough energy to hang out up there, plus last time I was there it was more catty than pregnancy boards where hormonal women sit and pull each other’s virtual hair all day. That stuff stressed me out.

Cool kids be damned, I never was one of the cool kids, I’m not going to pretend to be now.

No guilt trip intended at all, just looking for company (and pretending I’m one of the cool kids) :slight_smile: