Core Bamboo 3pc Cutting Board Set

I get worried about using any cutting boards with meat that aren’t dishwasher safe because I’m concerned that I’m not killing all the germs by handwashing. Am I crazy? Also, I’m lazy.

Yes your crazy. You should only hand wash wood cutting boards.

Great deal, I think I paid about $19 or so for 1 bamboo board @ bed bath and beyond!!

just bought 2 solid sets for gifts…

I pity the person who gets the stripped ones as a gift I am dizzy after clicking on the picture…

almost couldn’t see the want one button…

Great deal! I’m in for 3!

These are super solid cutting boards. I actually used some to cut my bread tonight. Highly recommended!

I hand wash my cutting boards, which are wood but not bamboo, which I use to prepare raw chicken on and I have yet to get sick or die from it. Just use soap and stop freaking out. What do you think people did before plastic and dishwashers?

Got food poisoning?

Ha, just kidding.

(not really)

Also, there are actually some antibacterial properties of wood. These chemicals release when the wood is cut on by a knife. I believe this enabled ?Zabar’s in New York City to be permitted to use wooden cutting boards in their butchershop.

I am not familiar with data on bamboo, however, but i may be similar.

I bought this exact set from woot in the last year. Durable, easy to clean, a joy to use…and it’s bamboo!

The pinstripe looks great, no dizziness or seizures to report. lol.

I got these as a package deal with the bamboo utensils during a Woot off this year. I was initially concerned about them lasting since they are so thin, but they’ve held up really well.

As others have said, don’t throw them in the dishwasher. Hand wash after use and apply liberal amounts of mineral oil to keep them from splitting!

these are on sale at home depot for $8.88…

[MOD: Per site “Store Exclusive. This item is available for purchase in select stores only.”]

$8.88 for three? that is a great deal.

The three piece set at HD is now down to $8, not including shipping, and I don’t believe they are Core brand cutting boards. Looks like the largest is 12"x15"x1.8".

Also a fan of these; found the two-tone set at a closeout retailer for something like $13-$15 plus tax. Be sure to get them evenly wet on both sides when you wash them to avoid warping and they’ll probably last.

I’ve got an inch-thick ‘pinstripe’ product with a different brand on it that’s started to develop stress cracks after a few years, but it’s been through the dishwasher, only washed on one side, and otherwise mistreated. Suspecting the alternating nature of the material could be a culprit, but the thinner size of these might be protective.

Dived in to note that if you weren’t picky about style, the ‘solid’ ones come as part of the full set with tools and trivets for as has been listed under the current Woot Plus “Bamboo For Your Kitchen: Big Bamboo-m” and seems to commonly reappear on here (but of course they’re sold out now). If you don’t care about trivets the “matching” cooking tools are still there but it adds up to basically the price of the full set.

A lot of people I vaguely know are getting cooking tools this year so I can snag a few of the square ‘organizer’ cups for my other kitchen tools, pencil cup use, etc.

Hi All,

Quick thing to consider regarding this deal.

Almost all bamboo products are from China. Chances are this one is too. This matters to some people (me), so I figured I’d get that out there.

For those discussing anti-microbial properties of wood, bamboo is not wood. I believe wood has been shown to actually be anti-microbial while bamboo has not been conclusively tested.

Bamboo is a GRASS. It seems woody, but it’s in fact a grass. Bamboo is much harder than wood, which can be good (because it would be harder to scar), but this doesn’t necessarily mean good things for a fine knife. I have a blade that is probably around 64HRC, which is high for a kitchen knife. This will probably handle bamboo fine, but for those using nice softer German knives, it can put a beating on your blade. It won’t destroy it or anything, but it will wear it out more quickly than wood.

Anyway, those are my twenty-six cents.

I recall reading that wood boards are safer than, say, plastic. Something to do with the germs getting in the wood cellular material and dying, while on the plastic they do not. I’m sure if this is a concern, a bit of online searching would give you plenty of opinions.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203469856/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.ULDSJbtZ6pQ

If this is the $8 set you’re talking about, it appears to only be available in stores.

Found what I thought was the same set on Amazon (Core Bamboo 10488AM). But the Amazon set is slightly smaller, so I went with this Woot deal.

Information from the Manufacturer about this and other Bamboo products they offer

NOTE
This is simply a cut and paste job on what the Manufacturer states and not an independent source. Consider that when reading. I posted this info simply for convenience to Woot Buyers. There have been questions raised about place of manufacturer, health concerns, effect on knife blades, product care, as well as others. I thought this may be helpful with some of those questions. and it is posted without opinion one way or the other

Why choose Core Bamboo?
Core Bamboo is the proud manufacturer of the world’s finest bamboo products. All of our products are made by our experienced team of hard working artisans in a safe and responsible environment. We take great pride not only in the outstanding quality of our products but also in the environment in which they are made. Every product that bears our name was made in an ethically and socially responsible way.

About our Bamboo
Bamboo is one of the most remarkable resources on Earth. As a member of the grass family, not a tree, it grows at a much quicker rate than any other wood. From start to harvest (60-70 feet tall) it can take just four years. Bamboo is also one of the lightest materials available. Bamboo is 16% stronger than Maple and is 33% lighter in weight than oak. What is probably most remarkable is its unique extensive root system. When bamboo is harvested its natural root system spreads and automatically regenerates itself.

Virtually all of the bamboo we harvest is used in the process. When we harvest the bamboo stalk at 70 feet it is cut up and divided into different production materials. The bottom section is primarily used for flooring and building materials. These are usually the toughest and hardest pieces to bend. The middle section is used by our factories to make lovely handcrafted products ranging from our assorted boards to versatile bowls and everything in between. The top section is used for smaller thinner items such as chop sticks, and accessory items. Even the sawdust created during the cutting is collected and mixed in with other materials to create a concrete like substance used for building and fixing a variety of items.

Socially Responsible
Bamboo is a 100% renewable resource which does not need re-planting, extensive irrigation, pesticides or fertilizer. When bamboo is harvested its natural root system spreads and automatically regenerates itself.

FDA Approved
All of our bamboo products are certified by the Food and Drug Administration to be safe for use for food. We have designed our collection of bamboo products to be used for food preparation and presentation, from our cutting boards and utensils, to our beautiful serving bowls and trays. Enjoy using our products to prep and serve all of your favorite cuisines.

FSC Certified
All of our products are certified by the FSC. The Forest Stewardship Council protects and ensures that products with the FSC label uphold principles and criteria which bring the highest social and environmental benefits during harvesting. This brings direct benefits to the forests from which we harvest our bamboo, including protecting biodiversity, worker’s rights, and areas that have environmental or cultural significance.

Panda Safe
The species of bamboo used in the production of our products is not a food source or a habitat for the Giant Panda. There are many types of bamboo that pandas eat, and we proudly use bamboo that does not impact the livelihood of this wonderful animal. *(NOTE, If reference is made harvest of this bamboo has no effect on Pandas then it would be safe to assume this bamboo is a product of China.)

Natural Bacterial Fighting Properties
Scientists found that bamboo has a unique anti-bacterial bio-agent known as “bamboo Kun” which allows bamboo to thrive naturally in the wild without any pesticide.

Knife Friendly
Bamboo is the perfect material for food preparation. It is 16% stronger than Maple and 33% lighter in weight than oak. This substantial, yet light-weight material does not dull knives

Care and use
We recommend that our bamboo products are hand washed with light soap and warm water and periodically coated with mineral oil to bring out the beautiful grain of the bamboo. We don’t recommend using this product in the dishwasher or microwave. Prolonged soaking is also not recommended.