Corsair Force 60GB SSD

Wootalyzer’s Pricing Post! - The price of today’s woot item is saved here for future reference

Corsair Force 60GB SSD
$45.99 + $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

DISCLAIMER Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

How would you know if your BIOS supported this?

throw in an expensive paperweight to send some of the competition to bed, well played woot

Too bad it wasn’t replaced with a bag of crap. I’ve been waiting 7 years.

Wooters can’t be fooled!

You buy it first.

No you buy it first.

No you.

Et cetera

NOTE: Only a 30 day warranty from the manufacturer! If you do decide to get this, put it through the paces right away.

you might get one faster if you stalk their facebook page, they gave out a quite a handful over in the past week or so

I bought an SD card with more memory than this yesterday for $10 less. I know they are not comparable in the same way, but still. what the heck?

What can you refurbish in a SSD?

Apparently they can. I’ve been seeing 128GB SSDs for like 75ish.

Most “refurbished” electronics were never bad in the first place. Either the person couldn’t figure it out, or found a better price within the return period.

There’s also a small possibility it had a bad firmware flash that could be fixed at the factory.

Now, if it did have a fault, the refurbisher could have missed it and just shipped it out. That’s the main risk.

The Amazon mothership currently has a 120GB drive for $79 with free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Gb-s2-5-Inch-Solid-SDSSDX-120G-G25/dp/B006EKJCWM

I have an old laptop that i have been wanting to put lennox on and this is probably the least expensive SSD i have ever seen.

there’s a reason for that.

Only $45 here. http://www.corsair.com/us/outlet-store/refurbished-ssds/force-series-f60b-solid-state-hard-drive-factory-reconditioned.html

well, you can also get a 1tb harddrive for around the same price of a 60gb SSD, the thing about SSD’s are that they are extremely fast at reading info. You can boot up your OS in 4-6secs with an SSD, and load times on games are soooooo much faster

99% left? This one may take a while :-/ If I were to get an SSD, there’s no way it would be 60Gb, can’t fit much on that.

SSD requirements:
SATA port
Power connector
Physical space for installation

SSD recommended:
BIOS/controller AHCI support
SATA 3GB/s or 6GB/s
Drive bay adapters
Windows 7

The majority of current consumer SSDs have SATA connectors. All SATA connectors are compatible with each other, the difference being connection speed (similar to Ethernet). The original SATA will work but will hamper performance to a certain degree. SATA 3GB/s is ideal for most. A handful of drives support SATA 6GB/s and may benefit from such a controller. Basically a SATA SSD will have the same data and power connectors as a SATA HDD.

The majority of current consumer SSDs are in a 2.5" form factor, which is to say that they are notebook drive size. This makes them very universal in that the same drive can work in a notebook or a desktop. Some desktop cases can handle 2.5" drives directly. If not, adapters can be purchased and indeed sometimes comes with the drive, which will allow them to be mounted in a 3.5" HDD bay. There are a few SSDs which are made in a 3.5" size for normal desktop use, but those preclude use in a notebook so read the specs carefully when purchasing. Also, a few SSDs are made that plug directly in to a desktop PCI Express slot, or a notebook mini-PCI or mini-PCIe slot. Those are a bit more specialized and most will not be using them.

An SSD will work better with a 4k aligned partition and an operating system and BIOS that supports Trim. What does this all mean? 4k aligned partition is just some mumbo jumbo that means your system can support big hard drives (like the new 3TB drives). Windows Vista and Windows 7 support it, but Windows XP does not. All SSDs and more and more HDDs are coming out that need 4k aligned partitions, so this isn’t unique to SSDs. Drives will usually work without it, but at a loss in efficiency and (in the case of SSDs) maybe decreased life span. Trim is basically Windows 7 telling the SSD to clean up after itself. Without it, the write speed of an SSD will decrease over time due to some arcane reasons that only the initiated can understand. Note that for Windows 7 to be able to communicate this to the SSD, your motherboard needs to support something called AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface). If your notebook or motherboard was manufactured in the past 2-3 years, you probably have it as a setting you can enable in BIOS. Note that even if the setting is present, some motherboards don’t implement it properly. One final thing is that some drivers can interfere with AHCI. Usually the latest versions should be fine, however.

even so… it sure beats the no hard drive it has now and what $60 hard drive will out preform this?