Corsair

I hear great things about SSD drives. I’m sure some of you can help educate the rest of us.

And look USB 3.0 thumb drives. Be still my heart.

This would be an awesome sale if they were SATA III drives, not SATA II.

Gonna pass.

Run Away! Really-

Some really bad reliability on the USB drives.2/5eggs on 20 reviews.Series 2.ohhh were good.

SSD’s had mega firmware issues- It seems these are NOT upgradable-from Corsair forumsfull of steaming refurb owners.

There are some great SSD brands out there, however, you hear a LOT about SSD’s failing.

Got the GT version of the flash drives a while ago (16 gb usb 3.0) the read and write when in a usb 3.0 slot isn’t much better than write times in a 2.0 slot.

So, refurbished SSDs that are only SATA II, and USB 3.0 flash drives with a write speed of only “up to” 12MB/sec? (note that USB 2.0 can handle at least 35MB/sec. You gain some speed on reads though I guess); and both with only 30-day warranties…
Not too impressed thus far unless there’s a high likelihood that these are actually overstock or basically unused devices that shipped with a firmware bug, recalled/returned and the bug fixed, or similar.

Otherwise, flash memory has a predictable lifespan based on total amount of data written/overwritten to the device. It’s a large number (usually many TBs), but without knowing how these might have been used/abused in the past it still seems like a potential risk.

If you can’t upgrade the firmware stay away. You want sata III. Almost jumped.

To give you an idea, my mac (even your windows machine) can start up in under 20 seconds with a good SSD.

For SSDs I’ve had the best luck with Intel and the Crucial M4 series (but the M4 needs to be on the latest firmware, and the Intel ones are pricey).

These prices seem fairly attractive until you factor in that they’re discontinued, SATA II, and refurbished with 30-day warranty. With SSD technology changing fast, also consider that these are previous-generation drives.

Thread on Corsair forum that’s been going on since November with customers having trouble updating firmware on Force series SSDs (and without that update many people were getting BSODs after the system wakes from standby or sometimes drive not detected at cold boot):

Do these at least ship with the 2.4 firmware? One would assume so, but we all know what happens when we assume. If they do, then it might make sense to pick one up for an older system that doesn’t have SATA III anyway and isn’t super-important.

I’ve had good luck with Corsair products, and they do stand behind their warranty (for the one time I had to use it for a DDR2 stick), but offering only a 30-day warranty on refurbished products … it’s just too hard to justify the purchase here.

http://www.corsair.com/en/support/warranty/

^this. The crucial M4s are reliable and constantly on sale. Same with the Samsung 830s except they have higher performance. Intel is too expensive for consumers but are also reliable. The key here on all three is the SSD controllers being used.

What you really want to avoid are drives using sandforce controllers, like these corsairs. Sandforce drives are the ones that have the vast majority of the problems, and cause the horror stories. The exception being the one Intel series using sandforce because Intel forced custom changes/limits on the controllers to make them more reliable, and somewhat affordable, compared to their better series which don’t use sandforce

How does one refurbish an SSD anyway?

they are most likely flashing the newer version of the firmware to replace the version that caused the drive to be returned. Or replacing the controller. I wouldn’t consider them any more reliable though.

As others have already stated these SSDs have posts all over about them failing and then getting worse with firmware updates, I wouldn’t chance it…

I put a samsung 830 128GB SATAIII in my late 2008 macbook and it’s running like a champ!

For just $20 more on the 120GB price, NewEgg has a brand new SATA III SSD with much more positive reviews.

Incidentally, think hard about whether you really want more than 120GB. SSD is awesome for read-mostly usage; but consumer-grade devices are not so hot for erase and write purposes. I’m putting 120GB drives into my desktops as Boot drive and Programs directory, with Documents, swap, media, etc. on terabytes of HDD.

As the primary hard drive in your computer, I wouldn’t trust these SSDs to house your operating system, ect. But for the prices, it’s not too bad to have as a secondary drive for loading whatever applications you use regularly. For example, I have a main Intel SSD (80gb) for my OS, and a secondary Intel SSD (120gb) for my steam games, since I primarily use my computer to play games. SSDs really REALLY boost application loading times, so to have a secondary SSD is amazing.

If you’re new to SSD technology, or have a older laptop you want to revive, then by all means purchase one of the lower priced ones. You can turn that old laptop of yours into a decently speedy computer for your kid/loved one, because SSDs can revive old computers pretty well. An old Thinkpad R40 of mine has a 20gb onyx drive in it, and it runs like a champ.

You couldn’t pay me to take one of those 32 GB Voyager thumb drives. I had one and literally had to RMA it 7 times because each and every one of them simply stopped working. Half these Refurbished ones are probably my returns.
And yes, I know how to use a thumb drive as I’m a Network Administrator. Properly use, Safely Eject, whole bit. They’d just suddenly show in Device Manager as an Unknown Device and that was the end of them. Will never buy another Corsair thumb drive again.

I was thinking the same thing as well. As many have said, the biggest downside with SSD is the limited reliablity even among the best. If we knew how many read/write cycles these had been through, it might be more attractive, but you are really pressing your luck without knowing.

That being said, these could have been a case where the customer couldn’t figure out how to install it properly and returned it. I would OK with that.

30 day warranty is tough though. Amazon and newegg have been running deals on these just above this price point with a longer warranty. This one was on sale a week ago for $89 and came with a THREE year warranty, not a 90 day.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3668349&SID=

The SSDs aside, the VOyager usb drives are great. I have about 5 or 6 of them that I use to send back and forth through the mail to clients. Pretty rugged, and work great. Gotta love USB 3 as well.

There’s a lot of bull going around about SSD Drives. A lot of folks posting stupid anti-knowledge, and really they are just repeating a few loud idiots with bad luck. Or really have no idea…

1. Yes, flash memory has a known limited life. BUT, that life is far longer than the MTB failure expectation of a normal mechanical hard drive. Far longer. Plus SSD drives have built in algorythms to handle failures to extend the life of the drive even more.

2. Yes, SSD drives fail. But in reality, the failure rate is much lower than with mechanical hard drives. And, there have been some noteable cases in some types (like one itteration of Sandforce, only one…) All electronics have an expected DOA or short life failure rate. All of them. Around 4% give or take.

3. Yes, SATA III is MUCH faster than SATA II. But how many computer actually have the proper Intel based SATA III chips that would even use the speed of a high end SSD? Few, very few. Time will change that. But more and more I’d see so many try to be a blazing fast SSD into a system with a slower SATA bus (even III’s, yes some of them are slow) and complain about how slow they are. One component doesn’t make a system go fast. It requires all components to be in the right class of hardware for true speed.

Are these SSD drives good? Probably. Corsair has great customer service if you end up with the around 4% margin of failure expectations. Yes, these will be faster than your hard drive. BUT, they won’t be the fastest you can get. Those SSD drives are still over $1 per Gigabyte in most cases. SSD is still somewhat new in the market and still a low seller. So, they have not had the high use rate to allow for market testing and engineering like older hardware has. Once the super fast models get down to about $0.50 per Gigabyte, that’s when I expect to see a major change in the technology. So, if you want speed, jump in! But if you want no headaches, back up your data no matter what storage type you use! DUH!