Craftsman 10" Cobra Pliers by Knipex

Craftsman 10" Cobra Pliers by Knipex

Wow I had to double-check the names here because it seems so odd: Craftsman (brand of mostly Chinese-made tools now with the demise of Sears) brand put on Knipex from Germany. Knipex is one of my favorite brands for quality plier-type tools. And this seems like a good price for a Knipex.

When did they stop calling them channel-locks?

1 Like

ChannelLock is corporate entity and is trademarked , kind of like Vise Grip (although those are made by a company called Irwin, you get the idea).

EVERYONE should have a nice set of tongue and groove pliers (channel locks). Remember kids, regular pliers are not wrenches, but these can be!

1 Like

Maybe these are left over from when Sears still owned the Craftsman line?

I get that it’s a Craftsman (for whatever that means these days) but I’ve had a pair with this style mechanism before and it’s awful. The spring wears out and the button gets jammed. Gotta smack em around to get it re-engaged. Stick to ChannelLock style.

I have the Knipex (non Craftsaman) version of this set from Germany though they still look very similar and hopefully the same product. These have saved me from having to call a plumber a few times. I actually use these as my default tool for almost everything now, including working on my cars, electrical, telecom and other DIY stuff. They’re much much better than the old Sears Craftsman “locking” set I had and may give away now.

I snoozed and missed out. Who knew these would be so popular?