Craftsman Rolling Tool Chest & Cabinet

I could really use one of these for storage at home but the comments from the last sale about all of the damaged units has me pretty gun-shy…

Look at the company’s balance sheet. Their lifetime might be less than yours.

But this unit is nice in that the top cabinet has three small drawers to isolate smaller tools. I spent two years looking at stores and catalogues trying to get this same unit after it was stolen from me. New units with ball bearings require a divider set, and it still is not as nice for small stuff.

[youtube=hm30l8sqlQw][/youtube]

Not true.

I’ve had my non-ball-bearing set for about 7 years now. It sits in my garage, FULL of tools, has been abused, slammed around, overweighted, drawers slammed hard (gotta take the anger of breaking a part out on something LOL) etc. Every single drawer still glides smoothly. Not one issues with it ever.

They aren’t the “cheap” slides, they still have bearings, just not full ball bearings.

My only modification was pulling the lock bars out of it so I could open the drawers without having to open the top lid. Since it’s locked in my garage, I don’t need a separate locking system on it.

It still looks as new as the day I got it. I actually clean all my tools and wipe my tool chest down periodically.

Mine is a triple decker, it has one more set of drawers sitting between the two you see on Woot.

Buyer beware. Woot does not allow you to return items unless they are defective. So unlike return policies of most reputable retailers.

Your link shows $299.00, but when I add to cart, it comes up $429.00, plus another $69.99 in shipping.

I got one the last time they came up for sale at woot. And yes, the case was a little bit dented. Um… I used my tools and undented/straightened it. Looks fine; if you didn’t know it was dented you would never spot it.

As to the case. If you have a lot of tools, but you aren’t a professional mechanic, this case is perfect. It maneuvers around easily and it holds up my tools without incident. Slides in and out easily. I have a lot of tools for an amateur, and nothing is overloaded or bent.

It’s not that rugged. It’s strong enough. If you’re going to smack around your toolbox, get a stronger version. Right after you trade your Ford in for a tank. Most people don’t need to pay for that level of ruggedness.

Ball bearings. Yup. They’re better if you’re going to stuff your toolbox full of old fashioned plumbers tools (I mean heavy tools…) or you put too many tools in the box. No. Never mind. If you’ve got that many tools that you have to overload this toolchest, you need a professional toolchest. But if you haven’t figured that out already you need a packrat intervention. Seriously, the drawers are fine for average use. Use common sense! If the drawers stick take a few things out and don’t forget to make sure the grease on the slides is ok. Just like you would with ball bearings, except the bearings will work properly under a heavier load. How many lead pipe wrenches do you still use?

I love this toolchest. My tools are organized, it works well, and it didn’t cost an arm and a leg.

I wonder if you greased the slides? I’m sure that would make a big difference.

I spoke with Sears and the sale price of $299 is “in-store” only.

Craftsman cabinets aren’t the same quality they used to be. If you compare these side by side with similar cabinets from Lowes, HomeDepot or Menards there is considerably more flex in the Craftsman cabinets. Its too bad as I have used Craftsman tools since my first tool set, but after Kmart bought Sears the brand has gotten cheap.

I have owned this same set for 15 years. Great toolbox. I have one drawer I overload with heavy stuff and all draws work perfectly, it rolls easily and looks practically brand new still.
I put little magnetic lables on front for what I keep in there…electrical, plumbing, screwdrivers, wrenches…etc.

The quiet glide aren’t ball bearing slides. I got a great deal on a similar setup at the Sears outlet a few years back (dark blue too, whoo hoo), and was a little iffy about the non bb sliders. I’m obviously not a shop, but am a pretty heavy home user with a lot of tools. The quiet glide slides haven’t missed a beat and work great to this day. And they ARE quiet.

It’s not a great price, but it’s a fair price. Consider shipping though. Note that Sears sells various levels of Craftsman tool chests. These are not their top level. But I have some just like it and they are quite good for the weekend mechanic. Sears is also always putting on sales for it’s Craftsman line. You just never know what’s going to be on sale next! If you can’t afford Snap-On it’s a great way to go!

I want to do a local pickup to save the $70, but I don’t see the option!

You need to join their tool club (free) and sign in. When you do, the price drops to $299 as it deletes the center case price (as well as the other discount). If you have it shipped to a nearby sears store, you can eliminate the shipping.

NOT TRUE. If you create an tool club account online and sign in, it will show you the $299 price (it wipes out the price of the center case) when you add it to the cart. It’s up to you to decide whether to pay the $69 or pick it up at a nearby sears for free. Eitehr way you can order/pay for it online.

I bought a craftsman tool box/chest/cabinet set without ball bearings and used it for a little while and it was terrible. I ended up returning it before the 90 days. I bought one of the nice harbor freight tool boxes. (I think they might have different qualities of tool boxes?) It is very heavy duty and works great. I plan on getting another at some point for more space.

Directly under the description there should be a link for Store Pickup which if you click will expand to show what stores are near you. Make sure you’ve put your zip code in on one of the earlier screens (you shouldn’t get the shipping price without it anyhow).

I was finally able to do in-store pickup.

Thanks for he reminder of their sale.
I got screwed on the box I tried to order yesterday,.