Creative Labs X-Dock Wireless Music System for iPod

for those that have said they don’t have an ipod…read the description…

it says it has an audio input connection for other devices.

the reason you would want to use an ipod vs. other device is because you are able to control the song playing from the ipod in the other room on the transmitter via the receiver, which can be very handy if you are listening downstairs while your ipod is upstairs in your room…or a similar situation

in for 1

also, this sells on newegg for about $150 and amazon for about $120

so this is a pretty good deal.

does this also work with an iPod Shuffle?

It isn’t mentioned in the description.

this would rock by the pool!!

Yah, or on the patio where we have outdoor speakers but the stereo feeding them is inside on the other side of the house.

Bring the mp3 playa out back and listen to it through the big house speakers… HMmmm…

Wren says:
Or perhaps, an alternate scenario?..
(3) notice the AV cable that’s included in this neato kit
(4) disconnect AV cable from X-Dock receiver
(5) connect iPod to stereo using AV cable

I’ve wondered about this – is the headphone output from the ipod (or other mp3 player) enough to drive the AUX inputs on a stereo? If not, this wireless device at least will provide the necessary signal amplification.

Anyone know the answer? Thanks

Thanks for taking time to outline all of that for those like me who are high-tech dummies!!

I’ve wondered about this – is the headphone output from the ipod (or other mp3 player) enough to drive the AUX inputs on a stereo? If not, this wireless device at least will provide the necessary signal amplification.

Anyone know the answer? Thanks

all you need is a mini jack to rca wire. 3 dollars

Ideal Scenario…Inside the house: Xdock receiver, connected to stereo feeding “B” speakers (on back deck). On back deck: Xdock transmitter & Ipod, aforementioned “B” speakers, a large cooler, and me never having to leave the deck to adjust music. I’m in.

The two remote controls appear to have different button configurations. Are they functionally identical or what ?

Thank god Creative Labs invented this. My Ipod is so heavy I have a hard time picking it up out of its docking station and carrying it to the room I want to listen to music in. Setting it on another docking station or running that pesky wire from the auxilary jack to the Ipod is so exhausting that this device is a life saver.

I can’t wait until Woot offers the wireless remote that controls my remote. That way I can have a docking station for the remote that I always misplace.

Yes, that is what i currently do: ipod headphone jack to rca plugs in back of stereo. works great and cord is super cheap at radio shack.
I’m interested in this because of the optical plug and wireless capabilities. I could use it to connect my computer in the other room to my surround sound. I tried straight wired toslink cable from computer to surround sound but for some reason the stupid computer wont recognize the optical output. this would be a nice & easy alternative. Plus added bonus of ipod dock.
Anyone know what kind of wireless signal this uses or how long it will reach?

This is a great product that does what is outlined above. Its price has dropped $5 from when it was on Woot on 10/23/08.

nevermind about the wireless specs. i should have read the description closer:
Wireless Specification

Range: up to 100 feet (30 m)
Frequency: 2.4 Ghz

I’m in for one right now!

The remote for the transmitter has some extra buttons to allow you to control up to 4 of the wireless receiver docks … so from your main unit you can select which receivers are currently playing music.

think of it this way:
MP3 is inherently digital, it’s a string of 0 and 1s. Decompression means it is still digital, still a string of 0 and 1s. That means the iPod has to have a Digital-to-Analog-Converter (DAC) so that the sound output is an audio wave. The chip that does this on the iPod is an “all-in-one” chip for, jack of all-trade, specialty of none, and it’s worth oh, $10 or something along that line.

Now, if you transmit this decompressed data over a digital wireless link, and output it to your nice and expensive receiver via a digital link (optical), and use the dedicated, expensive DAC in your receiver (say those $800 Marantz or Denon from 2008 can be had for $300 today), the sound output is MUCH higher in fidelity.

Line-out from iPod drives 10mA IIRC, which is plenty for your AUX in, but quality pales in comparison from what you get out of your receiver via optical link.

I found a review by iPod Lounge:

As I understand it, they think its strength is as a $300 package (receiver & transmitter). So for $44 with tax and shipping I figure it’s a good deal. Almost bought two just to get an extra receiver!

What happened to the home page??? 2 hours ago it was normal now it is different.
WTF???
I hate change!!!
Me and my 286x pc are going to hang up our rotary dial phone and light a candle.

Well, I read lots of reviews and the only real trouble spot seems to be possible interference with wireless internet, at least according to a few Amazon reviewers. In for 3 (2 as gifts), guess we’ll find out. Thanks to kodachrome for all the clarification on just how this thing works!

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: careerhub
Speed to first woot: 0m 50.703s
Last wooter to woot: jenniem2000

Wow, new design for the entire woot family! It’s hideous!