Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB Media Player

This has been my MP3 player ever since Summer of '06, right after my 20 gig iPod died again on me, outside of warranty. I paid full price for this thing at the time, and have had very minimal regrets. I went in the Apple store recently, and tried watching a bit of a video, and didn’t realize just how big a color difference there is between this screen and that, this blows it away!

A few minor things that have bugged me.

-Random play all, really doesn’t seem that random most of the time, I don’t know why, but I’ll get the same song I don’t like multiple times in a day sometimes, and its kind of annoying.
-Prefer navigation on the iPod, but this works well too
-Lack of support/accessories in general, especially compared to something as big name as the iPod

CES 2006 Media Player Champ.

I freakin’ luv mine, its great; and by some chance if you fill the 30 gigs, you can upgrade the drive to 60.

The New Zune is a contender, but I still think this player is better.

Anyone know if it has flash memory?

Why wait? To get a leather case for $20.00?

damn the only thing holding me back from buying was that i already have a 1 gig creative i use at work, a 30 gig zune i got from here (sell0utw00t) and one of those 4 gig sansa e200’s i got from (w00t). but i went ahead and got it anyways : )

seems like it’ll be nice and it has a much larger screen than the sansa for viewing videos and i don’t have to convert anything :smiley:

awesome deal…

how do you rip video to it? like if i want to put a dvd on it for my kids in the car?

Forgot extra minor pros

• Don’t have to deal with iTunes, I use Winamp, and its great
  • Don’t have to convert everything to 1 or 2 formats for video
  • Blue lighting is awesome
  • Obviously the screen
  • More that I’m not thinking of because its late

Don’t forget a bestskinever or invisible shield to protect it from getting badly scuffed up. Its a lifesaver

Nope. It’s hard drive-based.

I have one. Excellent player. Too bad there’s not as many accessories made for it as there are for the ipod.

Wait, what? Hows that work?

Too bad it isn’t a Zune.

iPod user currently, but I had a Creative Zen before. My old Creative was destroyed due to my own negligence. I made “the switch” at the time because I had a price break and similar hardware in the house already. There were certain things I definitely missed about the Creative device… the way it works when you set up playlists on the fly and having a much more flexible EQ were the biggest ones. I’m stuck on the iPod platform now for better or worse… but I have to say that the Creative Zen is at worst on equal footing in my book.

Only the new generation of ipods can compete with the video screen of this unit. An the best part–no conversion needed for most .avi files.

Awesome sound and video! It’s a little bigger than an ipod, but not enough to matter. The PC software works perfectly for managing audio/video files–drag and drop.

This is a great buy, they’d make great “I forgot X-Mas, here ya go!” gifts;)

Well, I own & use both. Here’s my $.02:

Reasons to get the Zen Vision M:
-plays divx & xvid as well as wmv-- all natively
-no software needed to load files to device
-lots of audio, video settings
-you can use up to 16GB as “removable disk” for any type of file
-somewhat smaller size

Reasons to go with the Zune instead:
-larger display (though same resolution, the Zune also ‘seems’ higher res to me)
-updated firmware, continuing to receive frequent updates
-seems to sync music faster (for me anyway)
-simpler, ‘cleaner’ interface
-cheaper accessories currently available
-Zune software is much better than Creative software
-Wireless sync & file sharing
-FM Radio gives detailed station, song info

Right now I would probably recommend the Zen Vision M @ $99 over the Zune 30 @ ~$140. If they’re at the same price point, I’d put them on equal footing-- both are excellent devices, and it really depends on features you prefer.

bought one.
vision m > zune, ipod
thanks woot,

When I bought mine at the beginning of '07, I compared the ZVM to the Zune and iPods out there to see which would be most flexible for playback options (i.e. which let me use the most formats) and this won hands down. It also had better battery life for video playback, better sound and picture quality than the iPod.

I have to say I am still feeling the love for this player, I use it daily. I paid twice as much for it new and it was still worth it. :slight_smile: The only thing I wish is that I’d gotten the 60GB version at the time because my 30GB ZVM’s memory is slam-packed full and I have to keep pulling video files off to get new ones on there.

I highly recommend the epizenter boards for anyone that purchases one of these since they have probably answered pretty much any question you’ll run into as well as giving tips and tricks that aren’t covered in the owners manual and additional goodies like reviews of cases and skins, hard drive and battery mods (if you’re not afraid of getting into the guts of your player) and more. The one thing I will warn folks of is that there’s a lot of whining over there, especially about iPods. It’s mainly the normal whining that goes on with any board that’s been around for a while and the whole minority fighting the good fight against the iPod tidal wave thing going on. Just skip those threads.
http://www.epizenter.net/news.php

The other recommendation I have is that if you find you do need to convert a video file to play it, don’t use the included software. Go find a copy of Super online, it’ll give you many more options and is much quicker.

Most of the issues I’ve heard of for returned ZVM’s is if they’re DOA. A lot of people do not realize that the unit will not power on as soon as you plug it into the USB port, it does need to charge for a few hours first. Do yourself a favor and go get a cheap power cord that plugs into a regular wall outlet on eBay for a couple of bucks, you’ll have the thing fully charged in a couple of hours, it’s much faster. The other advantage of cheap eBay cords is that you can buy ones that will fit right into the player. The Creative cords will require you to add the included dongle to the bottom of the player to allow you to plug in multiple connectors at once, but the cheap cords will let you choose if you want to carry just the cord which will fit the entire bottom opening instead, eliminating one thing to carry around.

The other reason these items may be showing up as re****furb is that this player has been discontinued. Creative is switching to all flash-based memory players (the new Zen was just announced/released with 32GB flash memory, but for $300+).

Final word of warning, a lot of the accessories look like they use the same plug that will fit iPods and so people sometimes use iPod accessories on the ZVM. This will usually fry the ZVM, so don’t plug this into your iPod speakers, etc.

I think that’s about it for now…so go buy one!

Yeah, I’ve received two email alerts when the units were back in stock, by the time I clicked on my favorites directly to the buy page, they were out of stock again…

The leather case they include is on sale/clearance for $15… so if the case is important to anyone, (it is in stock, as of a couple days ago…), the price comes out about the same.

PLUS Creative offers a 30 DAY WARRANTY…
w00t extends it to 90 Days…

Gotta get one before they are gone…

I have the 60GB and love it.

Some pros:
-Sound is awesome with MP3/WMV
-the divx/xvid support
-works with VERY many music stores, napster, yahoo, ruckus, etc.
-Creative doesn’t support linux, but there are programs that work.
-sleek as all hell
-I prefer the tactile strip in the middle over the ‘scroll wheel’
-built-in microphone
-fm-radio

Minor detractions:
-They don’t update the firmware as often as I’d like
-The interface could be a bit snappier when working with large lists (but I have 8000 songs)
-there isn’t much by way of accessories, first OR third party.
-no removable battery

highly recommend this. if you want to read some more, there is a great fansite for zen: http://www.epizenter.net

Zune > Zen

It really depends on what you want to use these for as the Zen has some features the Zune doesn’t have, but the Zune screen is much nicer, the software is vastly superior, wifi sync on the zune and the controls also feel nicer on the Zune. I have owned both and I would not go back to the Zen.

Rip the VOB files using DVD Shrink, Make sure you just rip the main title. Then use Dr Divx to convert to a Divx file, from there you can drag and drop it into the player…