Creminelli Artisan Salami - Four Pack

Thanks - I’d much rather have them come in tact than have them come spoiled and have to ask for a refund or something. These look really good and I’m glad that the oppressive heat of South Florida won’t ruin the salami.

EDIT: Although after reading that it seems like it “melts” above 72 F and they recommend keeping it away from heat and sunlight (sunlight won’t be a problem in a delivery truck) because both can diminish the quality. So there’s a chance the quality of my salami can decrease? Or can that be fixed by just refrigerating it for a few days?

On Front Page:

"In The Box:

* (2) 7oz stick of Tartufo Salami with black truffles
* (1) 7oz stick of Wild Boar Salami
* (1) 7oz sticks of Barolo Salami"

and then at the order page:

"Creminelli Artisan Salami - Four Pack

You want 2 Seven Ounce Stick of Tartufo Salami With Black Truffles(s).

You want 1 Seven Ounce Stick of Wild Boar Salami(s).

You want 1 Seven Ounce Stick of Barolo Salami(s)."

and then at the REVIEW YOUR ORDER page:

"You want one
Creminelli Artisan Salami - Four Pack

1 Seven Ounce Stick of Tartufo Salami With Black Truffles:

1 Seven Ounce Stick of Wild Boar Salami:

1 Seven Ounce Stick of Barolo Salami:"

Now I hope that I get TWO of the Truffle Salami because that is what I am most excited about.

DOGS!!! No self respecting truffle is rooted out by a stinking dog! Yeah, they can do it, but if it aint a pig truffle, is it really a truffle? I think not!

Fah!

All the pictures show 4, definitely a typo. The opened package at the bottom shows 4 sticks inside as well. Finally on the review page it does say 4 pack, so they must have just forgot the 2 in front of the black truffle.

Yup. Question matches the avatar, allright.

From their website: http://www.creminelli.com/products/*-may-special-*/

“FOR THE MONTH OF MAY ONLY
1 piece of Felino salami, 2 pieces of Tartufo salami with black truffle and 2 pieces of Sopressata salami for only $45 compared to $75 retail. Express shipping is a flat $9.95 on all orders.”

5 for $55 total. Basically the same $10/piece that Woot’s offering. (if you take away $5 for shipping) And probably faster shipping.

Are there nitrites or nitrates in this?

When eating this style of meat, I really don’t care if there are any, because this is a decadent snack, but I’m always curious.

The type of casing, be it beef, pork, or sheep, is largely dependent on what size of sausage that you are trying to create. Beef casings are larger in size than the other two.

I missed out last time and was a sad panda. In for 1. I hope I don’t regret this, or die from salami overdose.

If you have to ask, salami isn’t for you :slight_smile:

Heh … my thoughts exactly :slight_smile:

I literally just ordered some of this a week ago via GourmeyLibrary, and got the Wild Boar, Casalingo, and Cacciatore. Haven’t had a chance to try any of them yet, but will do so asap to see if I want to order more.
I just can’t believe that this is showing up here after I just paid retail a mere 10 days ago. And when I had placed that order, I was trying to get the Tartufo but they were out of it so I got the Casalingo instead. :frowning:

I was very excited to see these last year: rpm sounds excited

So, I got an order of these last year. I thought they were good, even very good. But, I’m not as excited as I was last time. It’s a QPR thing.

I have mixed feelings about some of the artisan Italian-style salamis I’ve seen in the past few years, including these. Primarily on the grounds that, to my taste, they are not that much better than the best semi-commercial salamis from San Francisco (Molinari generally, and Columbus, but only if you stick to the products that do not come pre-sliced or in a vacuum pack) for prices ranging from two to three or four times per pound.

If you don’t have ready access to either Molinari or non-prepackaged or vacuum packed Columbus salamis, and you like Salami, I think these can be an very interesting introduction to great salami. Certainly heads and shoulders above things like Gallo, Alps (which at its best is passable), Boar’s Head (atrocious) or any of the other “salamis” made by the large manufacturers of deli/cold cuts or any of the various beef salamis or other hard sausages sold widely in the Midwest.

Storage is important - I find that when salamis are very fresh, they are too moist for my own taste. I prefer them hung for a month or so in a dry place. Dry is important, because they get moldy if you hang them in a humid place. The mold can be simply removed and the salami is fine, but it doesn’t get a little dried the way I prefer salami.

If you go into a traditional San Francisco deli, you’ll find salamis hanging. Usually, the salami being sliced for you has been hung for some time before being used.

They sell these at Earth Fare near us, $9.99 for 1, so not so much of a deal there, woot :frowning:

But, if you can’t get these, and are dying for a taste of real salami, these are pretty darn good. I’m especially fond of the wild boar.

[url=http://wine.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2957034&PageIndex=2&ReplyCount=221#post2957686]

So, how long should I hang these before eating? (If I have the willpower!)

For me, roughly a month is optimal. It’s not science, it’s a ‘touch’ test: when the salami is fresh, it’s not very firm to the touch. After a while hanging, it gets firmer. When it’s firm, but not rock hard (which means it’s too dry), it’s ready.

Dry place is key. I wouldn’t hang them for any extended time if the weather is humid. Refrigerated storage is necessary when it’s warm and humid, but the absolute best flavor - IMHO - is salami hung for about a month and never refrigerated, but kept in a relatively cool, dry place.

I bought this in February and was not impressed. Maybe it didn’t travel well; but I will be avoiding this product. I had the white truffle and the sopressata.

Well rpm, you know where I live…out on Long Island. It’s not exactly “dry” out here at all. I currently have the order of some of their salami sitting in my Magic Chef wine cooler. Is that probably the best place for them, rather than just sitting out somewhere on a counter (or in a closet) in my condo?
Or should I hang them off of the wine rack I have in one of my bedroom closets?

Do you have any place (e.g. a cedar closet or basement) you keep dehumidified at around 30% or less? If so, hang there. If not, keep it in your wine cooler. But, take it out for an hour or so before serving - salami is really much better at room temperature, even fairly warm room temperature, than at 55 or so.

i love cured meats, however, the last time these were on woot! i purchased some and i thought these were way too salty and ended up throwing these away (boo hoo). Plus they stink up the refrigerator and the wife wouldn’t go near it for a week. Enjoy.