CRKT Ken Onion Wrinkle Knife

New Yorkers: Woot wouldn’t ship it to my work in 14564, but shipping to my home in 14450 the order went through. So, I guess we’ll see. It is on the restricted list.

I ordered one to Westchester County, where this is a legal carry knife. This will be the third knife I’ve had delivered by Woot with no issues.

I’m going to go out on a limb…

Sorry, not sure either- emailed the buyer to check up on it.

Edit: ok I was told that the black finish is referring to the blade, you will get the red handle finish that is shown.

The buyer checked in and confirmed- you are correctly pointing out that these were Taiwan made!

Would love it—except for the anodized blade. This ensures that with normal use this will look beat in about six months. Even normal sharpening will mar the anodization. Love the CRKT, own 4, would love a Ken Onion—I wouldn’t touch this with a 10 foot pole. IMHO anodized blades are for posers who never “use” their knives. Might be nice for a collector’s decoration piece, just not for an EDC.

I disagree. I actually like the look of an coated blade that has been “used”. It has kind of a Boba Fett style cool factor for me. I would not consider myself a “poser”. Living in the deep south, I spend a good deal of my free time in the woods. I don’t buy knives to look pretty, I buy them to be a tool first and foremost, and for the price, this is an outstanding choice for an EDC blade.

The specs mention anodized handle not blade, says the blade is “Matte Black Corrosion Resistant Coating”

Same thing? You think both will wear? I know zero about this type of knife.

Edit: Ignorance is bliss. Bought two.

I shall call it… my bacon knife.

I don’t think Onion ever “worked for” Kershaw. Kershaw simply has manufactured almost all his “speed safe” design knives and Kershaw is a terrific maker of all sorts of knives. Onion, long famed as a knife designer, makes very expensive custom knives in his workshop in Hawaii if you want one to match your Rolls or Bentley. (Some movie stars are known to buy the Hawaii stuff.) The difference in this knife is Columbia River Knife and Tool knives may not equal the quality of Kershaw production whether a Ken Onion design or an Emerson or Zero Tolerance branded knife. So, folks may want to consider Kershaw is NOT making this knife. YMMV re CRKT knives vs. Kershaw.

Good idea! I was thinking I already have too many knives, and I don’t need a knife with a wrinkled (but slippery) red orange handle. But I don’t have a bacon knife! This could be a bacon onion knife.

I almost grabbed one, looked again… Not Kershaw…Not American…
CRKT makes good knives, just not quite Kershaw standards.

I am in KS where there are no knife restrictions whatsoever. I would be happy to assist wooters in obtaining knives legal to their area. I can be reached through [mod note: no personal info, please PM through the forums]

Me too this is the second knife I tried to buy from woot but got denied…14304

I agree and disagree with you. First off, as others have said, the handle is anodized, not the blade. Admittedly, the coating is partly for aesthetics. But it also allows the blade to pass more easily through what it is cutting, and provides corrosion resistance. AUS 8 is fairly prone to corrosion. Not like D2 or anything, but it will rust. I actually have a CRKT already with this same coating. It doesn’t seem as cheap as the coating on knives like Cold Steel or the RAT knives, and has worn well. I both use and collect my knives. While I too prefer a non-coated blade, it doesn’t mean that anybody who purchases a knife with a coating is a poser. In for two. Will make good gifts for GA fans I know…

Sure it’s not a Kershaw but a CRKT. I have some of both, and it’s still a great deal for this particular knife. I’m in for one!

I have owned a few of these and they’re good knives. I know they’re not made by kershaw or usa made but its still a good knife. CRKT Taiwan made blades are of good quality.

You need a Torx set to work on these and need to be careful too. The ikbs uses a bunch of tiny bearing and they are not enclosed like ones on say a ZT knife.

The one I had was from Snap On and one the edge on it wasn’t ground right and CRKT sent me a new one no questions asked.

I’ve owned hundreds of ZTs,Kershaws,CRK etc etc. If this one had a little better steel and the clip was movable it would sell like crazy.

I thought the model (K205RKP) might provide more specific information in regards to the exact color. I don’t trust pictures. Checked that model on the CRKT website and it doesn’t exist.

Just as a point of fact, you can NOT anodize steel. It will totally disintegrate in the anodizing process.

I used to be in anodizing and we’d have people send aluminum parts with steel PEM screws in them. After anodizing they would be totaly gone or small and whittled to a super fine point.

Just FYI. :slight_smile:

Did did anyone else get a blade with a * mark on it? It’s like someone scratched it into the blade.