Crock-Pot 6-Quart Slow Cooker

Removable oval stoneware- read the description.

Yes, the manual clearly shows (as well as previous owners verification) that this is indeed an oval shapes crockpot.

I love the idea of being able to leave things like wings and ham in these without having to babysit it, but when I do my glaze turns to soup (on low). Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Oval vs Round:

From the main page:

Stoneware: 11.75"L x 9"W x 5"H

It’s oval.

A WARNING…
Well, not really a warning but people should be aware that the timer is not very useful because it’s not what most people are used to. It simply counts up once cooking starts, like a stopwatch. It does not count down like a kitchen timer, and it does not automatically put the cooker on Warm or turn it off. Setting the alarm on your cellphone is more useful since this cooker’s timer doesn’t even beep you with an alarm.

I assume these will cook a whole chicken. I’d like that since I pay $11 for one at the local deli, albeit the deli rotisserie chicken is d@mn good.

Sheesh… all this food talk, now I have to raid the fridge and nibble on some of that deli chicken. Then my two dogs are going to attack me if I don’t give em each a drumstick.

Oh well, no rest for the weary.

Update: Man it wasn’t 10 seconds when I had the chicken on the kitchen counter that I could hear snarling behind me. Anyone want a couple dogs? Food included.

Thank goodness for Woot, our slow cooker pot had cracks in it and needs to be retired. The count-up timer looks spiffy and if you really want to program it could use a plug-in timer.

In for one to upgrade my 4 quart crockpot.

And for your culinary pleasure, here’s a freaking awesome recipe to make you the hit of the next barbecue, I make this every year for my friend’s pig roast and everyone loves it.

2 cans of Bush’s baked beans (I usually get the brown sugar or the maple flavor)
1 package of hot dogs
1/2 pound of bacon
Heinz chili sauce
Mustard
Molasses

Add the beans to the crockpot.
Chop up the hot dogs and put in.
Cut up the bacon into chunks and add.
Put in some chili sauce, mustard and a teaspoon of molasses.

Cook for 6-8 hours. Delicious.

Duuuude… you’re a penguin residing in some nonexistent portal of cyberspace… there is NO SUCH THING as Italian Goulash, unless, of course, you are referring to the nefarious Armani gulloshes, which can track in a bit of mud and detritus from the out of doors… however, how a penguin knows about the intricacies of New Mexican posole, is beside me… are you beside me?.. at any rate, my preference are the Big Jims with chicken posole, and red chile with pork… there you have it… signing off from the Antarctic…

Yeah, I wondered about all these recipes. :wink:

http://tinyurl.com/ItalianGoulash

I’d just like to recommend this BOOK to all our slow-cooker fans. I’m telling you, it will bring new life to any slow-cooker, it’s not a crock :slight_smile:

Anything with powdered red chili, I love. If it makes my neck sweat, I’m in heaven.

I’m in for 1. Been looking for a replacement for my ancient slow cooker that didn’t have a removable liner (though to be fair, those disposable plastic crock pot liners do an awesome job, even if I do feel like I’m a bad person for using them).

I read through the reviews for the programmable version for $5 more over on amazon, but was too concerned about the couple of folks who had them melt or get too hot to leave on their counter to go with that one. I’m hoping since no reviews for this model mentioned this issue that it’s not a problem for this one. Perhaps I’ll only use it while I’m home the first few times…

Oh, and favorite crock pot recipe?
1 can black beans
1 jar salsa
1 can of corn
4 chicken breasts

Cook on high 4hrs or low for 8hrs. 5 min before it’s done, stir in about 4oz of sour cream. Serve it in a bowl, use it for burrito filling with cheese and whatnot–whatever you choose to do, it’s just yummy.

A HINT
Always add spices near the end of cooking. THis is especially true of salt. Spices tend to break down from prolonged cooking and you’ll find yourself adding more and more to achieve the flavors you’re used to. Before I discovered this, I added about 5 tsps of salt to a dish and it was still bland at the end.

My two dogs, who can eat a pound of beef in 15 seconds, said I should buy this thing. And a lot of my neighbors at the dog park say they use these cookers for the dogs, well the big dogs anyway.

I might get it since these two beasts are breaking the bank and my GF and I are tired of sleeping with one eye open, watching these rabid carnivores.

No, no, no, no… you have it all wrong… it is made with freshly roasted, picked that morning between 4 and 6 a.m. – the coolest part of the New Mexican day in the month of August, ripened (that is why it is RED) Hatch chile… you then take the pods and put them over direct heat, preferably hot coal mesquite, roast them 'til black, and then quickly submerge in an ice water bath for a minute or two… then peel off the charred black skin and you have the most luscious red pepper on the Blue Orb… (same applies to the Hatch green chile, Big Jims or otherwise)…

Absolutely correct. My dad taught me this when I was learning from him how to barbecue. He told me that adding spices, like salt, will also dry out the meat.

As I recall he said the salt causes the meat juices to drip out.

Ever since he told me that no matter what I am cooking on the grill I don’t add spices until the end.

(I think part of the problem on flavoring is that cooking the spices “cooks” the flavor out, hence the need to add spices at the end, again.)

It does sound delicious but I don’t understand the point of slow cooking this. First off, the Bush’s beans are already slow cooked. And the hot dogs are also already cooked. In fact, none of the ingredients benefit from prolonged cooking or additional tenderizing. Regardless, you’ve gotten me hungry. Luckily, we have lots of 24 hr grocery stores and supermarkets within walking distance here in NYC.

Yes, I know what you meant, but here in the big city I don’t get that kind of cooking, unless I hit an authentic restaurant cooking in the manner you describe, e.g., anything cooked on a mesquite grill.

I better log off unless I intend to eat a late night supper at 11:00 p.m.

Goodbye, 10 year old, Black Friday, $15, ugly slow cooker… you’re been replaced!

Wooted! Thanks for the great info