Crosman Vantage NP Break Barrel .177 Cal Air Rifle

Remember before you use this to read the owners manual

Price comparison:

$84.50 at BulletsAndBows

[MOD: $9.66 was the cheapest shipping to me]

First off, let me say that I have this gun and it is fantastic. The price point is about what you can pick it up for other places I have seen, but regardless it is a quality piece.

You’ll shoot your eye out!

If my King pump action wasn’t still as smooth firing as the day it was made (Between 1936-1941, my grandpa isn’t around to ask for clarification) I’d probably grab one of these.

Hard to move away from a classic.

Some good reviews from buyers at Pyramyd Air’s website:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_Vantage_Air_Rifle_With_Nitro_Piston/2806#Reviews

They include a scope. For hunting, you would probably want a scope, but since bundled scopes usually aren’t that good, you can get a nicer one this way. For plinking this would be a great gun, but Crosman triggers have a lot of creep in the second stage. Keep in mind that this gun is a magnum air rifle, it’s too hard to break the barrel for youngsters, and too powerful for backyard plinking in a neighborhood. It would be perfect for small pest control on a farm or plinking in a field though.

I received this gun today from another source. Sighted it in at about 10 yards. After about 60 shots it settled down and all pellet holes were touching! Stick a Hawke a/o scope on this thing and I think I’ll be able to stack pellets (Crosman hallow point domed pellets)all day long. Not very hold sensitive at all. Smack the top of the barrel to open for the first several shots. Very tight. Buy this gun now, or later, but get it. It’s not as light as a Gamo, but at 7 lb. not bad ether. I haven’t made up my mind about the trigger yet, will need more time.

I believe the one sold at Bullets and Bows is a springer, not the nitro piston model.

Both appear to be model 30020, which appears to mean both are the nitro piston model.

User manual here:

From Bullets and Bows:

Shipping charges for firearms at BulletsandBows.com are a flat fee of $20.00. Whenever possible, we will combine shipping for multiple small accessories on the same order. Shipping charges on accessories will be applied accordingly. Shipping insurance is offered at a rate of $1 per $100 ordered item(s) value. BulletsandBows.com is not responsible for uninsured items lost or damaged in transit by UPS. If you would like to review the total shipping charges for your order, click Checkout to preview the order. You can preview the order, including shipping charges, before you click to Confirm your order. The shipping and handling charge covers the cost of standard shipping. If you require expedited shipping, the shipping fees will be greater.

Man, if this was only a .22 I’d buy it in a heartbeat- as it is I’m agonizing.

I’ve been wanting one of the Crosman nitro piston ones for a while, but with a .22 you get a ton of power without any risk of breaking the sound barrier. Presumably less over-penetration too.

Has anyone used both a .22 and a .177 NP? How did they compare in volume and in penetration? What about ammo cost for especially heavy .177 pellets vs ordinary .22 pellets?

I have the Crosman Nitro Venom .22 w/3-9x32 Scope and you are right it is very sweet! The Crosman Premier .22 cal Hollow Point Pellets (500 Count)works great for me - and they are cheap. Scoped it at 25 yds, ballistics work good for me at that range. You are correct about being quiet, not, you can hear it, but not loud at all. I routinely hit targets at 50 yds.

If you are thinking about dipping a toe into the air rifle sport - this doesn’t look like a bad deal. This is not “the best” on the market but has good value. Plinking at tin cans all day is an inexpensive for the whole family - just don’t shoot your eye out.

Cheapest Nitro Piston airgun Woot has sold to date. Cheaper than several different “springers” sold this year here.

Very tempting offering.
So in Cali dollars, about $93.

Pyramydair is $100 before s&h: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_Vantage_Nitro_Piston_Air_Rifle/3233

Another deal with a scope for $115 before s&h: http://www.airgundepot.com/crosman-vantage-nitro-piston-air-rifle.html

Crosman break barrel rifles: http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/break-barrel

I’m still very tempted.

Just gotta wait it out Can’t pull the trigger on this.

Note to self: You already have 2 pumps and 2 springers
Resist.

If only it had a compass in the stock and a thing which tells time, I would be in.

Ahhh… the Red Rider!

Since there’s a fair number here who are obviously better educated than I am, can someone explain the mechanics of this gun and how it operates? My only experiences have been when I was a kid with either a CO2 pistol (I understand how that operated) and a cheap Daisy lever action. I see this a break barrel? How does that work and how is that different from my old Daisy lever action? Is it one of those pellet rifles where you can cock/pump it multiple times to increase the pressure/velocity? Finally, what would you say is the minimum age in which a kid could realistically operate this? Some have said it takes a bit of strength.

$88.08 ship to store at Walmart tax included, easier to return if there’s a problem. Its a nice gun at a competitive price here.

Break barrels have a large spring & piston, that is cocked by breaking the barrel and using it’s length for leverage due to its high compression rate. NP guns substitute the spring for a nitrogen gas ram, like on a hatchback door, but bigger.
The Daisy’s had way smaller spring inside cocked by the underlever, for youngsters.
These have a 30lb cocking effort, so it would be tough for 15 & under.
1 c-ock yields 1 full power shot, no pumping.

[/quote]
They include a scope. For hunting, you would probably want a scope, but since bundled scopes usually aren’t that good, you can get a nicer one this way. For plinking this would be a great gun, but Crosman triggers have a lot of creep in the second stage. Keep in mind that this gun is a magnum air rifle, it’s too hard to break the barrel for youngsters, and too powerful for backyard plinking in a neighborhood. It would be perfect for small pest control on a farm or plinking in a field though.
[/quote]

You are exactly right. I’ve shot a few hundred ground squirrels with mine and it goes right through them. Get an air rifle scope from Walmart to replace the cheap one that comes with this one.