Cruz Andina 2009 Mendoz Argentinian Malbec - 5 Pack

No notes on CT. Has anyone tried this? This would have been a good instance where Wine David should have had labrats involved.

Colorado isn’t on the list for this? I don’t get it…

I know each seller has to apply to each state individually, but can we also confirm the list of states that can buy this is complete? Missouri and Illinois are almost never left out and I do know there have been a few times the sellers have come on the board and added a state or two to what’s actually listed on the front page. I’d love to get in on this!

The licensing is significantly different for international wines and the list is ALWAYS much shorter than it is for any domestic wineries.

So WD put this bottle in my hand late yesterday to taste. I’ve had the great pleasure of visiting Mendoza a few times and working with Argentina’s greatest producers over the years. So can honestly say I’ve had at least 1000 sips of Malbec in my life. How does this one rate?

Before tasting, I notice the juice in the Cruz Andina is farmed in my favorite vineyard locations Lujan de Cuyo & Uco Valley (Mendel & Luca make my heart sing).

Varietal Composition: LOVE the touch of Cabernet and Syrah. I think the most well balanced Malbec wines from Argentina are blended with Cabernet.

On the nose at 8pm last night: big oak. I was surprised, usually violets and dark fruits should show, but the use of New French Oak here really comes through. Slightly HOT on the nose too with alcohol. I took a few sips and fell asleep before 9pm (I had a big week!).

This morning: left my glass in the kitchen covered as I slept. The nose mellowed out but found developed vanilla & candy cherry aromas on the nose.

After sipping - big and rich. Dark Cherry Bomb dusted with Dark Coco. This is not your light & lively Malbec. Anyone who drinks big Cali cabernet and hearty reds should absolutely love this Malbec. Rich layers of dark cherry fruit, a hint of cedar and black pepper, and a dab of dark chocolate.

The Alcohol is over 15%, EAT drink and be merry with this Malbec. I’d put it away for a few years and let it mellow…but that’s how I prefer to drink big reds, if you can’t find the patience - decant this baby a few hours ahead of sipping.

Now pass the empanadas please (baked not fried!)!

This is a tremendous deal!!! Can you now ship to Pennsylvania???

RGS

Rammis

from the Wine Enthusiast: Rating 90
“A full-force Malbec with classy black fruit, rubber, cassis and balsamic aromas. The palate sports a nice mouthfeel, fine balance and tasty flavors of herbs, blackberry, roasted plum and chocolate. Elegant but strong, with layering and a lot of qualities for a $20 wine.”

Money is tight but I’ll probably be in for 1 before the day is over.

Not familiar with Malbec CT says characteristics are between Cab and Merlot. Is this accurate? How does Malbec stack up against Zin ?

Hola Woot! Just took a baby sip of the vino I decanted last night and I have to say Cruz has opened up nicely. The hubby and I have decided to grill out today Argentinian style in honor of this deal! Churrasco, chimichurri, empanadas, the works! Que Rico!

I have enjoyed almost every wine I tried from Argentina. In for 1!

Nice !!! Gracias Bella!

True, malbec is a powerhouse grape and one of the Bordeaux varietals. Traditionally in France it is used as a blending grape but when planted in Argentina it thrived there and became the grape to be in the region.

If you like the power of zin you’ll definitely like malbecs. Give it a shot!

Any information on farming practices?

Dang it. Would have bought but no New York? Never had that problem before on wine.woot. Stinks because I have been waiting for an argentinian malbec at this price point…

Now I know how some of the other states feel. Not being allowed to have it definitely makes me want it more.

Yeah, I was hoping to get in on this, saw that. Sucks.

Dangit! Clicked to buy and not shipping to TX! :frowning: First time I’ve had this issue. Waa!

wine.woot

Wine Enthusiast also gave this vintage of Cruz Andina a 90 pt rating, if you care about points at all. Disclaimer: I am an insider.

Actually, if your post had anything to do with this offer it would have been left to stand on its own. But it had nothing to do with today’s offer so it was removed. This is typical.

If you want to have your opinion expressed go dig up the offending offer and post it there or create your own thread, both of these would be acceptable.

Also, you can always contact service@woot.com where they are very accommodating.

Hope that helps.

I don’t have specific info on the farming practices but I do know that Carlos Pulenta (a third generation grape grower) is one of the most respected vintners in Argentina - here’s some more info on the property:

Fruit for Cruz Andina Malbec comes from the Pulenta’s 130 acre estate vineyards in Mendoza’s prized Lujon de Cuyo appellation. At about 3200 ft., the vineyards sit at the highest altitude in Lujan de Cuyo and planted in 1948, are some of the oldest vines in Mendoza.

Salud mis amigos! Hurry up and get your woot on as the 5 packs are starting to dwindle!