Cub Cadet 25cc, 4-Cycle, Curved Shaft Trimmer

[Preview 1][Preview 2]
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/d37602af-d464-453a-81ef-0fa647632727.jpg

Cub Cadet 25cc, 4-Cycle, Curved Shaft Trimmer
Price: $129.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Tuesday, Jun 03 to Friday, Jun 06) + transit
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](http://tools.woot.com/offers/cub-cadet-25cc-4-cycle-curved-shaft-trimmer) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Cub Cadet 25cc, 4-Cycle, Curved Shaft Trimmer) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Cub Cadet 25cc, 4-Cycle, Curved Shaft Trimmer)

Cub Cadet shares some Maintenance Tips

Must…resist…joke…

Is it a shaft trimmer that is curved, or does it only trim curved shafts?

I don’t like the idea and extra effort of having to mix gas and oil to run most small engine garden equipment. What I usually do is mix a two gallon gas container which I label “2 cycle” so that I don’t make a costly mistake. If you are not aware, running a 2 cycle engine with just gasoline as it comes from the gas pump could prematurely shorten the life of your engine…I mean like the same day. It’s much the same as running your car engine without oil.

I’ve used cordless trimmers with NiCad batteries and I also used trimmers with lith-ion batteries. I found that the NiCad are great the first year and by the beginning of the third season you can’t finish the job in one charge. The newer lith-ion battery trimmers are too expensive. The gas/oil 2 cycle are okay but, as I previously said, I don’t like the extra burden of having to mix oil with the gas. The 4 cycle on sale here looks like a good possible solution. But answer this question for me Mods…

Your copy states the following:

•Greater durability, more power, no mixing gas and oil, lower vibrations, and easier starting.

I agree with everything said here except the statement that a 4 cycle has more power. Unless you’re overlooking the laws of physics, a 4 cycle has one power stroke with every 2 revolutions of the engine, while a 2 cycle has a power with every revolution of the engine. Would you please explain how this results in more power?

Word to the Mod…

You may want to check one of the pictures on your information page. This picture shows a straight shaft trimmer, which is more expensive.

Hmm. Good question. My guess is that this info came directly from the vendor. I pinged the tools team to see if we can get a rep in the thread or at least some clarification.

Well I think he’s politely shining a light on their error, more than actually asking because he obviously knows the answer.

He’s right. In a side by side comparison it simply isn’t ‘more powerful’, however two engines that both have the same power will show the 2 stroke usually enormously smaller than the 4.

Their statement is odd, unless they made it (this particular model)a 4 stroke that in their line was slightly more powerful than their 2 strokes by direct comparison I suppose.

In Short, no. A 2 stroke IS a simpler and more efficient/therefore more powerful engine, but that doesn’t mean -THIS- 4 stroke doesn’t have more power than -THIS- 2 stroke, if the 4 stroke in question has a larger size and has more power than it :smiley:

Does anyone know if the sound levels are roughly the same? I’ve honestly only ever seen one in action and I can’t recall.

I have had both the 2 and 4 stroke types ( but not this brand). They’re all loud. But to me the 4 is so much heavier that it makes getting a 2 stroke the way to go. I even have two 2 strokes, one straight, one curved shaft. The straight shaft one is much heavier than the curved, and even has a shoulder strap. I much prefer using the curved shaft one. Yes, they are designed for different purposes, just wanted people who haven’t thought about that to know…

This is a good deal on a nice, 4 cycle string trimmer. This is ideal for most homeowners. As 4 cycles are heavy, if you have a larger property then go 2 cycle/2 stroke and take the pains to mix oil and fuel in a dedicated container. If you find that you might need something larger than the Cub trimmer offered today, expect to pay quite a bit more for a good Echo or Stihl. But for medium to light use, this is a nice deal for properties smaller than 1 acre. For townhomes you might consider an electric trimmer.

I’ve always had an electric line trimmer and all that cord is a bother. What my problem is, is it very difficult to start a gas one?

Guess that depends on how you define ‘quite a bit’ as you can buy the curved shaft Echo from the big orange store for $169. I went with the straight shaft Echo myself, primarily for the ease of the bump line advance. That thing is so powerful I think I could take a tree down with it given enough time. As a comparison, the Echo weighs 12.1 lbs, compared to this Cub listed at 16 lbs.

Worst trimmer I ever owned. I gave mine away after one season. It does not spin as fast as a 2cycle so it did not trim as well. It is heavy. Save your money and grab a echo

that depends on your definition of difficult and whether this is considered an “easy start” machine (I couldn’t find it document in the description or after a quick search on the internets).

here’s how i start mine, which is a different manufacturer. the process is normally to press the gas primer 3-5 times, turn it on, switch the choke to the first setting and pull the rope about 3-5 times while pressing the throttle trigger, switch to the next choke setting and pull 3-5 times while pressing throttle. if it starts, then i let it run about 20 seconds before switching to the last/run choke position. when i’ve turned mine off, including other models, i can normally restart quickly in the last choke setting if it hasn’t been off for several minutes otherwise i repeat the entire process.

btw, the Cub Cadet site lists this as $269.00 - wow!

Was regretting the couple of hours I spent yesterday fixing a 20+ year old Craftsman 2-cycle trimmer (the fuel line had become brittle and disintegrated) when I initially saw this Woot item.
Feel better about it after reading the comments re. weight and power of 2-cycle vs. 4-cycle.

With the way fuel containing ethanol is mucking up small engines, please keep this in mind. You can purchase, at a small premium, pre-mixed 2-cycle fuel that doesn’t contain ethanol. The power to weight ration is fantastic for 2-cycle engines. As a small side note, is it really that hard to find pictures that match the product? One of the three pictures clearly shows a straight shaft trimmer.

I prefer a straight shaft because I am tall and end up stooping over a lot when using a curved shaft. Plus I can hold the straight shaft closer to my body and not reach out to get under wide trees or bushes.

actually, 4 stroke has one power stroke out of every 4, intake, compression, fire, exhaust. 2 stroke,is every other, as it exhausts it brings in more fuel, then compresses and then fires.

same thing though, power to weight ration on 2 is higher.

I strongly recommend AGAINST buying this - I bought an earlier one (different mfgr) which was also “not returnable”, and THE REEL WILL NOT ATTACH TO THE SHAFT… the bolt does not screw into the shaft receptacle.
But since it is not returnable, I have NO RECOURSE…
Stay away from non-returnable items…