Cuisinart 12-Cup Programmable Thermal Coffeemaker

pretty big warranty drop…from 3yrs new to 90 days used

For $40 more you can get a “new” one from Amazon with a 3 year limited warranty.

We have had one of these for a couple of years now and it makes GREAT coffee! We have had so many comments on how good our coffee tastes. It must have something to do with the temp of the water through the grounds and the fact that with the thermal design there is none of the “cooking” of the coffee on the burner during and after the brew.

Though I have never done any hard investigation I am pretty sure ours has paid for itself many times over due to the fact that a hot burner does not get left on every day consuming electricity for hours after brewing coffee as it would with traditional coffee makers. I paid and would pay again close to $100 and at $45 it is a steal! I just wish it came here in white so I could have a backup to our white unit…

The last refurbished Cuisinart product I bought off of Woot (which was the Griddler), turned out to be brand new. There wasn’t a dent, scratch, or fingerprint on it.

Certainly, a Cuisinart refurb is cleaner than your coffee pot at work.

This coffee pot is amazing - the carafe keeps coffee hot for at least 4-6 hours. The trick is to fill the carafe up with some hot water before brewing. That gets the inside of the carafe hot and will help it stay for a LONG TIME.

A cleaning trick I learned is to put a 1/2 cup of uncooked rice in the carafe with a little soap and water and swirl it all around. That get the inside very clean.

Buy it! You’ll be happy you did.

two quick ways to clean a coffee pot with narrow opening. after it carafe is cool put chipped ice and salt and swish it around, it’s what some of the restaurants do to clean out their pots, for heavier cleaning use a baby bottle brush.

I’d be extremely cautious buying this coffee maker. Experiences with it seem to drastically differ, with some people experiencing an issue where the coffee misses the carafe and spills all over the counter.

www.amazon.com

There is a good chance many of these refurbs are from that issue.

I’ve had mine for over 2 years. I like the coffee it makes, and it will stay warm for a long time. No problems with the carafe, none with electronics. HOWEVER: If you grind your own coffee and make it too fine, or if you put too much coffee in the filter basket, the filter basket can overflow during brewing. Then you’ll have a real mess on your hands. I also found that the filters which came with the machine are not more of a problem in this regard than brand name filters. I personally only use the Melitta brand filters, which seem to work much better.

I clean my carafe by throwing in a teaspoon of Oxy-clean and filling it with hot water. Just a few minutes, rinse and it’s ready to go.

We have had this coffee maker for about a year now and love it. I was leary when I bought it because some reviewers talked about the filter section popping open during brewing and getting coffee everywhere. It still had all the features we wanted so we got it anyway and I put a headband around the top so it can’t pop open. Works great and I never have to worry about it opening during brewing. Coffee stays hot for at least 5 hours, doesn’t taste metallic and I never have that burnt taste that comes with a burner type coffee maker. I highly recommend it.

Anyone know the brew time and temperature?

Not to sound like a coffee snob, but I am. My other coffeemaker is a Technivorm. Perfect 200F brewing, with the brew cycle taking about six minutes. It makes a serious difference in the taste.

I’d buy this except I gave away my previous Cuisinart coffeemaker because it brewed at about 180F. If I can find another coffee geek who has stuck a thermocouple into the brew basket and pulled out the right number, I’d buy.

Terrible lid design on the carafe, but otherwise a great coffee maker. We have three of these at work for 2+ years now and you have to make sure you untwist the lid enough the the heat doesn’t build up pressure in the carafe and blow hot coffee all over the counter. (Luckily not on anyone yet)

I have seen it repeatedly happen to many of my co-workers but as long as you know ahead of time and think about it you can avoid it. Simply screw the lid in place then when turn it back 1/4 turn so it is loose. I, myself, have made coffee many times and never had it explode by following this simple step. Hope it helps anyone who decides to purchase.

Is the filter a flat bottom or cone shape?
And, do you need paper filters or is it the reusable type?

We have this model and have had it for 4+ years. It is a great coffee maker. I LOVE the stainless carafe for 3 main reasons:

1. It does keep the coffee hot for hours! You can brew it real early in the morning and get a hot cup of joe after lunch (in the off chance there is coffee left after lunch).
  2. My wife cant shatter it as easily as she can the glass carafes!
  3. It is a 12 cup stainless steel. I cant find many 12 cups, mainly 10.

That being said, it isnt perfect. We have had to replace our carafe every 2 years or so. This Woot comes at the perfect time. Two things break on this. The plastic valve on the underside of the carafe top. After a while it just snaps off. My wife is pretty rough so it may be her fault. Both carafes had this happen. Secondly, the handle breaks after a few years. It starts coming loose at the bottom and the eventually snaps off. The first carafe did this and your can fell the second one about to go.

The actual coffee maker though has done a great job for years. Unless we are on vacation, we make a full pot of coffee 7 days a week. We love it. Which is why I am buying it…

It uses the #4 cone filters. I use the unbleached filters. There is no reusable filter insert. I suspect you can buy them, but I’ve never looked.

We have this machine and LOVE it. We have also had the coffee spill, but it was a user error. We hadn’t seated the carafe properly under the drip. Another time we forgot to put the lid on the carafe (DOH). Some people want even their coffee machine to be fool proof (those reviewing, not directed at you, Giggers). Problem is, there are a lot of fools in the world.

We got ours for $75 on sale + good coupon at Kohls. Worth every penny and more. Tempted to get another to use at work.

Eeek! What about the 70 negative reviews on Amazon? Seldom does anything score a glowing review…but the negatives for this coffee maker list the SAME problem - it can leak alllllll over if you don’t have it situated just right.

Everything else about it is so great - it’s tempting! I almost bought one. However, a morning person I am NOT, and waking up on the wrong side of the bed only to find coffee on my counter and floor would likely send me straight to the loony bin.

Good luck, buyers :slight_smile:

I have one of these models. Love it, especially for the money. Brew time is around 6-7 minutes for about 8-10 cups. When I first got it, I tested the water temp with reliable meat thermometer, and it typically registered 195 f, and never below 190. Just right in my book (I find 200+ too hot). I think the variation stems more from handholding the termometer than an inconsistent heating element.

Agreed. Technivorm is a serious piece of kit.

If you can’t afford that, though, this Cuisinart is a pretty good (and comparatively low priced) choice.

I have this unit, and this has happened to me a couple times. Each time, I could explain it from overfilling with grounds when trying to brew all 12 cups, or having grounds caught in the stop-n-pour mechanism causing irregular flow.

I keep it clean, and don’t overfill it, and I’m fine.

I have this coffee maker and it is the BEST thing ever. The thermo carafe keeps the coffee hot for hours without continuing to heat it into mud like regular coffee makers. Had to replace our first one after a few years because the coffee stopped getting/staying hot. Many friends have bought because they liked ours so much. I’d jump on this…but…
Condition:Refurbished
I’ve always had bad luck with refurbished products.

I had the same problem with, but with the coffee. George Howell Terroir was too dang expensive…so was Peet’s…with Folgers, I get like five times more cups of coffee for ten bucks. Much less expensive.

All pissy snarking aside, the filter comes down to maybe 4 cents versus 2 cents each…maybe it’s a bit of “get what you pay for?” Cone drip has always given me better results, and since the coffee itself is the biggest cost per pot, any price difference is really just noise. Some quick math optimizing total pot-o-coffee cost to quality on your budget gives you the comfort zone.