Cuisinart 2-Quart Ice Cream Maker

Do you have to freeze a bowl or container for this to work?

I’m pretty sure I did, at least in the refrigerator, if not a short time in the freezer.

I don’t remember the brand of the ice cream maker I had before - I think it was Sunbeam or Hamilton Beach. I ended up donating it, hoping someone else might have better luck with it.

Thank you!

I don’t remember the brand of the ice cream maker I had before - I think it was Sunbeam or Hamilton Beach. (I’d check my e-mails, but I think I picked it up from Big Lots.) I do remember it had a smaller spout on one side of the lid (like a food processor), and the churning area was more enclosed. I ended up donating it, hoping someone else might have better luck with it.

So far, my favorite recipe has been from Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams (made in a double bowl in the freezer, as I’d already donated my maker, with ice and salt in the outer bowl). Her version doesn’t use eggs, but it does use cream cheese and cornstarch as part of the base. From what I remember, the recipe I used in my old ice cream maker was the basic vanilla recipe that came in the booklet, and I added in frozen chocolate chips and cut strawberries as mix-ins (I was wanting a strawberries and sweet cream ice cream). It just never thickened beyond a thin milkshake consistency. I eventually just froze it, and making a very dense frozen cream dessert for my family. It was tasty, but not nearly as fluffy and airy as the ice cream should have been.

Out of curiosity, if you have a 2-quart ice cream maker, could you make smaller amounts, or if this the kind of appliance where you should be filling it up? (I ask because as much as I love ice cream, sometimes I’d rather make smaller batches in different flavors, and sometimes, I just don’t have room in the freezer.

This is a great deal! Unfortunately, I bought one last month for twice this price. :frowning: It makes great ice cream. I made rocky road and everyone loved it.

Not anymore! Price raised to $57.95

I purchased a 1.5qt version of this guy a little while ago and love it. I buy the giant bags of frozen fruit at Costco and have been eating a ton of blueberry and mango frozen ice cream/yogurt.

The recipe I’ve settled on is a mishmash from a whole bunch of ones I’ve read. Basic key ingredients:

Fruit: 1-1.5 cups. Make sure it’s fully thawed out.
Sugar: ~1/2 cup depending on how sweet your fruit is. I’ve been trying to cut back on it.
1.5 C soy milk
1.5 C greek yogurt
1 capful of vanilla
1 t pectin

Heat the fruit in a saucepan along with the sugar, vanilla, and pectin until they’re fairly well blended. Throw into a food processor and run until smooth. Pour mixture into a bowl along with milk and refrigerate until cold (This aids in the freezing process later. Cooling happens faster if you use a metal bowl.).

Put everything into the ice cream machine and let run for ~15-20 minutes. You’ll get soft serve consistency out of the machine and delicious traditional ice cream consistency the next day.

The key ingredient, I’ve found, is the pectin, which I got from America’s Test Kitchen. They say it helps spread out the freezing point which allows the mixture to stay soft, and have a less icy and more smooth mouth feel.

Hmmm, thx, I will have to try that. My ice cream is great when I make it, but turns to a cube of ice the next day.

Actually, Woot, can you give us the dimensional specs for the bowl?

After poking around on a couple other sites (Amazon and Overstock), it looks like the bowl itself is 2 quarts.

I have a Cuisinart similar to this and make my own frozen yogurt.

2 small containers low fat yogurt
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
fresh fruit (bananas, strawberries, blueberries, etc.)
vanilla or other flavoring

It doesn’t last long! Delicious!

Hah, got me there! And confirms my suspicions that Amazon will jack prices up during sales to make Woot items seem like better deals. Oh well. Thanks for the deals when they used to actually be deals. Another customer bites the dust.

I have the smaller version because I love ice cream but lactose and I don’t get along. To get the creamy texture just replace with vegetable fats. Coconut cream/milk was mentioned (and an easy one is JUST the can of coconut, cocoa powder and sugar to taste). However, a real yum one I made used avocado with rice milk. It was a mild nutty flavor. It also took well to spices to kick it up a notch. I blended the avocado in to a custardy thickness (with teh rice milk) and put on the stove with sugar until it was the sweetness I liked, then put through a strainer (for smoothness) before chilling.

I love these machines so much.

And for REAL simple ice cream, just get one of those starbucks (or soy dream) cartons of coffee drinks and toss it in, nothing else needed.

As far as I’m aware, there’s nothing that will prevent you from making smaller batches. There is a functional minimum unless you want to split an egg into halves, but that constraint disappears if you use an egg-free recipe for the mix.

I admit that I haven’t actually tried making smaller batches. Too many people around here who like ice cream, plus I’m spoiled by a near-limitless supply of free milk and eggs. But the only possible issue I can imagine you running into is that there isn’t enough mixer blade area coming into contact with the mix, so you’re not getting enough air incorporated during the churning. Of course that is a complete wild-arsed guess, so I hope you try it and let us know!

Have this. Love it. My favorite recipe reminds me of sunny days in Georgia and it’s very simple. Take 2 pints heavy cream, 1/2 cup of chocolate syrup, 1 can of sardines (KEEP the oil – it makes the ice cream super smooth), 1/2 cup sugar, 2 cloves garlic. Puree the sardine and garlic (add pepper or a mint leaf if you want a little zing). Put mixture in ice cream maker and enjoy! If you’re lazy, you can just use chocolate ice cream and add in the sardine puree. On certain occasions, I’ve substituted a can of squid for the sardines. Keep the ink, and add at the end when the ice cream is near firm. it adds a nice marbling effect. If you like your ice cream chunky, don’t puree the sardines or squid, just pulse a few times to get the chunks bite size. Buno pulabe!