Cuisinart Cast Iron - 3 Styles

[Preview 1][Preview 2]

Cuisinart Cast Iron - 3 Styles
Price: $45.99 - 69.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard OR $10 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Aug 01 to Tuesday, Aug 02) + transit
Condition: New

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](http://www.woot.com/offers/cuisinart-cast-iron-3-styles) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Cuisinart Cast Iron - 3 Styles) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](Cuisinart - Google Shopping Cast Iron - 3 Styles)

I think there is a Woot Whoops…shouldn’t it be a 12 inch chicken fryer?

Is that really 12 quarts? Thing is HUGE!

I suspect that there may be a little mix-up on this sale. I am contacting the vendor managers to see if we can solve this mystery. Hang tight!

According to the specs page, it is a “Cuisinart CI45-30CR.” Here’s that model number on Cuisinart’s webpage: https://www.cuisinart.com/products/cookware/EnameledCastIron/ci45-30cr/

I’m not sure what everyone is confused about.

A “12-inch pan” usually has a base measurement of 12 inches. The woot dimensions given indicate that the widest part of the pan (the lip) is 15.3", and that the pan is 4.5" tall. This is consistent with the pan holding approximately 12 quarts.

V(frustum)= (1/3)(pi)(h)(r^2 + rR + R^2)

Plugging in the pan’s dimensions gives you a V of about 662 cubic inches, which is about 11.5 quarts. Add in a little extra for the spout cutouts on each side and you’ve got roughly 12 quarts of internal space.

Edit: Well, the Cuisinart product page says 4.5 qt., so I guess that about wraps it up for math.

Thanks for the information.

We have a whole set of the Cuisinart cast iron cookware. Really, really nice. The porcelain has held up well, but it’s been less than 3 years… It’s cast iron, so it works great on our induction cooktop.

Your mistake was confusing the diameter and the radius. 12 inches is the diameter of the bottom of the pan while the radius is half that.

Food is sticking to your cast iron cookware? Then you are doing it wrong, very wrong. You want cast iron to have a coating of black charred oil called seasoning.

To keep your pan seasoned, you have to follow a few rules.

1. NO SOAP - Never clean cast iron with soap or scrub it too much. (And that means NO DISHWASHER!) Clean it using plain water and scraping it with something plastic or wood. Clean your pan when slightly warm (not hot) and don’t soak it for long periods.

2. STORE DRY - Once clean, dry your cast iron completely, put it on the stove and heat it slightly to evaporate all the water from the pan. THEN…

3. COVER WITH OIL - Once clean and dry, cover your cast iron with a light coating of vegetable oil for storage.

4. USE OIL TO COOK - Before you cook, coat with oil and use oil in the pan with the food.

If you do forget the rules and you’ve already taken all the seasoning off or you have a new pan, season it before you use it. Cover lightly with vegetable oil, turn upside down and place in your oven at 350 for an hour then turn off the oven and let it cool in the oven then repeat. Cover with oil, heat, and cool at least twice. You will be rewarded with a fresh new layer of dark brown seasoning. The seasoning will be a bit sticky at first, but if you keep following the rules it will develop into a black coating that rivals any “non-stick” coating as you use it.

Can this be used on a flattop stove? My neighbor says she has not been able to use any cast iron on her new fancy stove, its not recommended for some reason.

While this is true for traditional cast iron cookware, it is not the case for this enameled cast iron, which is dishwasher safe or can be cleaned with liquid dish detergent per the instructions here:

I would add I have both of these pans and am extremely pleased with both. The casserole I have is enamel, not cast iron enamel, and the enamel bubbled and chipped away, but Cuisinart quickly and easily replaced it once I showed the purchase from Woot, serial number and some photos.

If you think you want either or both, don’t hesitate.

I have a glass electric stovetop and use them on it all the time without a single issue.

No, that would have thrown him off even further. I don’t know where Ejeon went wrong, but she didn’t show her work and so can only get partial credit for having the correct formula.

Plugging in the correct values suggests a volume closer to six quarts, but I suspect that the 4.5" height includes the domed lid and handle. 4.5 qts would suggest an actual wall height of around 3.25".

OK, are these A-list made in France or B-list made in China?

I have normal, old cast iron that I use on my induction cooktop. After cooking, I wash it with soap, scrub off any minor sticking, rinse and heat on my cooktop. Then, while hot, I coat the interior with a very thin coating of olive oil. Works for me.

I question the traditional “seasoning” lore because of bacteria build-up on the organic material you are leaving on the pan.

I do not use enameled interiors, so that is another discussion.

Traditional cast iron may not be perfectly smooth on the bottom and can scratch the surface of the stove (mine are pretty smooth, though, so the pan itself matters). That’s pretty much the only reason they say that. These are enameled on the bottom and would not cause any issues.

I have it from a previous WOOT. 12"x 3.25"/ 4.5 quart. Great pan and I highly recommend it. Lodge is great but wifey likes this one better. I’m even thinking of getting a second one.

I’ve used cast iron all my life, including a small skillet that belonged to my great grandmother. I rarely have any need for soap, but a good seasoning will not easily wash off. I use oil when I cook, but never after washing - what’s the point? It will only turn rancid.

Seasoning requires heating the oil well past its smoke point, resulting in a chemical change called “polymerization”. The molecules cross-link, becoming more of a thin, hard plastic. Leaving a fresh film of oil on a warm or hot pan (as you describe) does not season the pan, it only adds a build-up “organic material.”