Cummins P2400 Onan 2000 Watt Homesite Generator

Which ebolter?

Onan??? Are they marketing this to the people who bought this?

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2468733

Maybe I could plug it into my power inverter from sellout.woot

First one looks like it went to Washington State. Perhaps to power some of the “hand massagers” that were so popular there the other day.

Yeah - I know what you mean. I have to plug my electric start lawn mower and weed eater in just to start it. OMG - moron

Probably…

OR - it will be shipped by FEMA and arrive after the hurricane

j/k

http://www.mises.org/images4/fema.jpg

Not a good candidate. For about $350, you can get a refuurbed 3500 watt Champion Gen with a 30 amp 240 volt outlet specifically designed for a patch cord to a transfer switch on your panel. This is more for running extension cords to your fridge, freezer and a few lights. Good runtime, low power output, no 30 amp 240 volt outlet…

If only I didn’t live in a third story apartment. (Really, I am not keeping gasoline in the closet.)

If you’re in the same boat and do want a backup power source, you could just buy a twelve volt battery, a solar panel to charge it with, and a power inverter. (There actually is one on sellout.woot today.)

If you know how to be SURE to turn your mains off before you turn the generator on. It will cause serious problems if the power comes on while you have a generator feeding one phase of your panel.

Probably . . . but you wouldn’t be able to run too much in the house off of it. I use a 7500 watt generator that heats up the whole house including some TV’s, couple of Satellite systems, Sub Zero, Freezer, 2nd Refrigerator, etc., etc., but you wouldn’t be able to come close with only 2000 watts.

yes, just make a cord with two male ends turn off the main breaker plug the gen into your outlet and your done. keep in mind that things in your house that are already plugged in may overload the gen. 220 won’t work, stove, AC, Hot water heater. A 4000 watt works good for it.

diesel or gas?? maybe i missed it in the description…

electric start like on a lawn mower or a car, you don’t have to pull the cord or crank by hand. Electric start runs by a small battery like in a car. I think you may have missed the point

You missed the point. People buy generators for when the POWER IS OFF… How ya gonna start this if you HAVE NO POWER?

For what it’s worth… I know generators. This is a great deal. Onan is top notch.

The only downside is that it’s 2kw. This is great for a long term power outage - needing to power fridge, some lights, and other house stuff. But it’s not great for switching off the grid - you can plug it into your house, but it won’t power everything. (Think 5 or 6kw at least.)

Great brand. Great price. I was not paid for this endorcement!

This will handle that, but that’s about all it will handle. Also, you take a risk running sensitive electronics (like a TV) off a portable generator. The power fluctuates, is prone to surges and is not clean. You can easily fry your tv/computer/cell phone w/ one of these.

For your sump, you should look at a battery backup system.

I have a 5000 watt Makita I picked up off of ebay. Powers my full size freezer, fridge, 2 sumps and a few small lamps + a radio. That’s about it. The fridge runs at 1500 watts or so (with a surge of 1800 when the compressor kicks on). Freezer is slightly more than that.

Cummins is a good name (as is Honda). This might be a good generator for camping (if you drive to your campsite), but I’d hold out for more watts for an emergency generator.

Same reason you have an electric start on your car. And lawn mowers are going that way too. You don’t plug it in to start; it has a battery. Don’t know if it is wired to self-charge though.

No, “your” NOT “done.” This setup will work IF you disconnect the main breaker from the grid, but it’s dangerous, and illegal without an either/or main breaker switch or transfer panel.

ummmm…“electric start” doesn’t mean you have to plug it in to get it started. Push a button–the thing goes–no pulling on a cord.

thats woot for u $5 shipping on everything, even a crappy little kite during a woot-off that cost a mere penny, still $5 shipping, and the same thing for the 32 inch tv i just got