CyberPower Simulated Sine Wave PC Battery Backup

Is “simulated” sine-wave any good for running power off a UPS or do I need something with a little more oomph?

Thanks for the help also. I’m new to the power supply thing and have no clue about them but I need to get one that will run a modem and monitor for about 30 minutes. I’m sure this one will do the trick but the modem can’t be ruined. So it sounds like pure wave is the way to go?

FWIW I have frequent brown outs and outages, sometimes multiple per day or week. I’m very pleased with the 2x APC UPS boxes I’ve got. Wi-fi stays up for hours and hours, lasted a 6hr stint one morning. With the other I can run a 60" TV and receiver for about 5 minutes alongside a laptop on charger.

Another issue people don’t think about is it’s “generator compatible”. Most APC’s that are AV are as they can be adjusted to handle the “dirty power” generators put out. I run my house genset once every 2 months to test. 1 hour under load. Something I noted the first time I did this, I had UPS’s going off all over the house. I use some smaller units for the entertainment system, basement media pc, gaming area has a cyberpower 1000, and my office (which has 4 UPS). I Have 1 cyberpower 1500VA, Tripp Lite 1500VA, APC SmartUPS 1000 and APC NS1350. They all would jump back and forth from battery to online power. I had to go around and adjust them down to LOW so they could handle the generators. The APC 1000 doesn’t let me do this so the ONLY thing I have on it is my media NAS boxes and Sprint airave. I turn it off when I’m running my bi monthly generator test. So, if you have generator for your home, you might want to make sure you can adjust your UPS or they will run you crazy going back and forth.

I would not buy a UPS with such a small power supply of 850Va. It might be fine for a small laptop backup but I have three. One for two desktop computers and 2 external hard drives, one for another desktop computer, a cable modem, and router and one more for the tv and tivo. They are all high capacity and old enough that I’ve needed to replace the battery only on all of them. New batteries are not expensive. Use a UPS but this one is tiny.

It depends on want it to do.

I’ve got my main computer and my backup server connected to a 1000VA UPS and it does what I want with time to spare.

I access both remotely when I travel, and it drives me nuts when a power glitch leaves one or the other hung.

My main goal is to deal with power glitches that last less than a second. I get these once in a while.

If the power is off longer, I just want the computers to be cleanly shut down.

Using the pro version of the CyberPower software my server shuts down after a minute. After another minute my other computer shuts down. Then the UPS powers off (so it won’t take hours to recharge).

When the power comes back the UPS and both computers power up.

Worst case is that the power comes back after the computers are shutting down but before the UPS does. If I’m not home to turn on the computers, then they turn themselves on at midnight through that BIOS setting.

850VA would probably be enough to do this.

The pro version of the software is a free download. It’s not as easy to configure, but it allows one computer to communicate with the UPS and others to act as clients.